Grant McCasland is New UNT Basketball Coach

17 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Be rubbed the wrong way.

Terry is a badass AD. Played football at AState and in basically a half decade has made more successful football and basketball hires than most athletic directors will ever make. Took AState from the second lowest budget in FBS to the upper half of G5 while reducing the percentage of the budget coming from the school. Completely new press box built, new indoor practice facility, and getting ready to start on a new football complex, pushed season tickets past 10,000 two years in a row, signed three P5 schools to come into play along with home/homes with various AAC schools.

Sounds like a pretty good farm system we have going here. I will gladly get behind money whipping ASU coaches for any sport as long as your AD continues to find good ones.

• Upvote 7

29 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Be rubbed the wrong way.

Terry is a badass AD. Played football at AState and in basically a half decade has made more successful football and basketball hires than most athletic directors will ever make. Took AState from the second lowest budget in FBS to the upper half of G5 while reducing the percentage of the budget coming from the school. Completely new press box built, new indoor practice facility, and getting ready to start on a new football complex, pushed season tickets past 10,000 two years in a row, signed three P5 schools to come into play along with home/homes with various AAC schools.

2015-2016 Revenue

North Texas $30,851,453

ASU             $17,008,487

He has done a good job of generating revenue from payouts for coaching contracts. With your revenue you need that money. You are rightfully proud of your AD.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

You guys are shelling out a crap ton of money to hire a coach. HELL YOU HIRED A COACH AWAY FROM A DIVISION I PROGRAM and all you can do is get your panties wadded.

Act big time, fake it till you feel it.

I'm starting to think that you're Mohajir.. 

My question is, does he always slam the school who is paying ArkState, and slam the person for taken a job that he (Mohajir) thinks is a downgrade? Sounded like he wanted to even go after WB when he was discussing WB knowing GMs agent...

6 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

This is a great hire. I can't wait to see the great things he accomplishes at UNT! Hopefully the simple fact that Benford is gone will already draw more people to the Pit next season?

I'd like to think it will bring in more Alumni, but a solid team as well should lead to more students as well.

I'm sure/ would think that WB having a year under his belt will only help market and present the team as well. 

• Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

You guys are shelling out a crap ton of money to hire a coach. HELL YOU HIRED A COACH AWAY FROM A DIVISION I PROGRAM and all you can do is get your panties wadded.

I have never seen you react so butt hurt before. It's actually kinda amusing. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Even Brett Vito quoted the comment in his most recent article.  Stop trying to make this about UNT fans taking offense that it was directed at the school.  Really who cares about that since it is expected (and we all know Denton is a step up from Jonestown anyway).

This was a passive/aggressive personal shot at McCasland to try to hurt his credibility on the way out the door and that ain't cool coming from the AD.  Makes him look desperate, and petty.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 4

Arky State fans reactions are almost exactly the same I would expect on this board if a peer program hired a coach away from NT.   

The ASU AD made an enormous blunder in the way he handled the loss of a coach.   I suspect many of his coaches plus many others are going to remember how he threw his ex-coach under the bus.  Whether McCasland actually stated that or not, it was just a failing save face move on the part of the AD to publicly disclose it.  

The big question is how many of those never again ex NT fans and Baker critics, are going to rethink never.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5

54 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Be rubbed the wrong way.

A badass AD who lets his coaches get poached as if his program is the minor leagues.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

A very solid hire.  It'll be nice to visit the Super Pit for a men's game once again.

Rick

I second that emotion! Can't wait to see what he can do with our guys, plus what he may bring with him.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

You are full of shit because you wouldn't have replied if you didn't give two shits.. Made yourself a liar with that.

His job ain't to make you happy. His job is to hire winning coaches and provide them with the resources to be successful. Worrying about the feelings of the fans of another school isn't in the job description.

Pull your head out of your ass and reread what I said. Otherwise don't come over here slinging shit around if reading comprehension and understandable retorts are not your thing

19 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Even Brett Vito quoted the comment in his most recent article.  Stop trying to make this about UNT fans taking offense that it was directed at the school.  Really who cares about that since it is expected (and we all know Denton is a step up from Jonestown anyway).

This was a passive/aggressive personal shot at McCasland to try to hurt his credibility on the way out the door and that ain't cool coming from the AD.  Makes him look desperate, and petty.

It's jonesboro...not the psycho crazy kool-aid drinking followers in guyanna

17 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

A badass AD who lets his coaches get poached as if his program is the minor leagues.

Not going to pay $600,000 for no NCAA appearance and a late season collapse.

Grant's a great guy and as I said before ya'll are going to love him.

I'll see ya'll down the road when everyone gets over their mashed feelings.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Not going to pay $600,000 for no NCAA appearance and a late season collapse.

Grant's a great guy and as I said before ya'll are going to love him.

I'll see ya'll down the road when everyone gets over their mashed feelings.

Once again, you are completely misinterpreting the reaction, thinking that people are worried about Mohajir saying something about UNT.  THAT'S NOT IT.  REPEAT, THAT'S NOT IT.  

This is about how he handled the dismount with an employee.  Look at the tweet you quoteed.  Did McCasland feel the need to take a personal shot or to attempt to discredit Mohajir or ASU in order to make himself feel better?  

Mohajir has made some really solid hires and done some great things for ASU.  His handling of this coach's departure was not one of his better moments.  

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 5

Five years ago, we hired two basketball coaches almost simultaneously. 

One was a young guy with a 5 year tenure as an asssitant at a program guilty of major NCAA recruiting violations and a track record of all-around shady behavior. The other was a D1 head coach fresh off a 20 win season, who got a ridiculous overpay in salary AND carried a buyout that didn't seem to make much sense for us. 

Thank goodness for new leadership. 

Welcome, Coach McCasland! I sure hope you win, and win fast. Particularly in the CUSA tournament, since there's a 90% or higher chance that's our only shot at an NCAA berth. 

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Guys @Arkstfan is a very close and long time friend of this site.  He needs to be treated with respect.  Please stand down on your comments.  GMG

That's what I was trying to say in an earlier post directed to him. Thanks, Harry.

• Upvote 1

I have found the following info on current coaching salaries for the top few salaries in CUSA (may not be exact and are the most recent I could find):

Tim Floyd (UTEP): $600K
Grant McCasland (UNT):  ????
Kermit Davis (MTSU): $465K base + $100K TV/Radio = $565K
Mark Price (Charlotte):  $500K
Rick Stansbury (WKU):  $500K+
Jeff Jones (ODU):  $450K
Rob Ehsan (UAB):  $450K
Dan Dantoni (Marshall):  $400K
Doc Sadler (USM):  $325K
Michael Curry (FAU):  $325K
Steve Henson (UTSA):  $265K
Anthony Evans (FIU):  $225K
Eric Konkol (Latech): n/a
Mike Rhodes (Rice):  n/a

If this is true, and McCasland will in fact be the 2nd highest paid coach, then we are looking at something in the $575K to $600K range.  In a prior post, @Arkstfan implies they weren't going to pay $600K so maybe we really are in this range.  If true, wow.  North Texas is stepping up like never before.  Of course, it should be expected that we have to pay more to repair the brand now after so much damage was done over the last 5 years.

• Upvote 6

Leave stAte dude alone. He's one of the most rational and knowledgeable posters here. I can tell this hurt because there is a slightly frantic note that is unusual. As for their AD geez move on. The fact is he has clearly made some excellent moves that are benefitting stAte. Sure their spirit wolf is unnerving at best and confusing at worst, but I bet I see it a lot more up here out and about than you see green eagles down there. 

This is a really encouraging hire, but you know, I was encouraged when they got that WBB guy from Charlotte some years ago.  Still, there is reason for optimism now. Glad to see this didn't drag on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

41 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Arky State fans reactions are almost exactly the same I would expect on this board if a peer program hired a coach away from NT.   

The ASU AD made an enormous blunder in the way he handled the loss of a coach.   I suspect many of his coaches plus many others are going to remember how he threw his ex-coach under the bus.  Whether McCasland actually stated that or not, it was just a failing save face move on the part of the AD to publicly disclose it.  

I'd say I do agree, that the AD did have a huge blunder when it came to talking down about another school..

I'm also assuming its allowed if it has been made public, but is the AD able to comment about his dad's stroke since its a medical condition? 

I'd hope that we wouldn't react the same way, I mean we didn't when we lost Davis, Ek, or LeBanc but that could be because they weren't HCs and they made a noticeable job in terms of competition between UNT and their new school. But to mean, we have to remember and can't be upset if the coach leaves (even if its after 1 year) if they improved the product from when they got it. 

1 minute ago, UNT Mean Green said:

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KJBR

N118DL has made the round trip from Denton to Jonesboro.

Is this the same plane that went to visit the IPF?