MGB: Report -- ASN to cease operations, LA Tech snags 2 DFW players with UNT offers

Brett Vito

23 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Can we barter with a local television outlet to televise our games locally? 

Short answer is yes, but it has become more complex in the last few years. Most stations only want to do barter deals on programs with a near certain minimum audience level. You have to guarantee a minimum audience or make up the difference in cash after the broadcast. 

We would have a better chance out right buying time on sub-channels - 8.3, 5.2, 11.2, etc. Those channels have a lot lower total viewers, but time can be purchased much more cheaply. The problem with those is a lot of broadcasters have totally leased those channels to what are now called "digi-nets," networks set up to take advantage for the new channels. These are GetTV, Antenna, Decades, etc. I'm not sure they can drop in a show like a game over a digi-net. 

I still go back to the best long-term solution is creating web-based distribution. A few years back there was resistance to this mainly because it was harder to get the programming on your real TV rather than a phone or tablet. But today the fastest growing place to watch video, including some sports, is on your phone and tablet. Plus about 50% of TV for sale come with a web connection already built in. For those that don't Chromecast, Roku, et al fill the niche nicely. The plus for this is keeping ALL of the ad revenue plus having fans pay small subscription fees. Why not include access with Mean Green Club membership at certain levels?  

• Upvote 3

On 3/15/2017 at 11:02 AM, VideoEagle said:

Short answer is yes, but it has become more complex in the last few years. Most stations only want to do barter deals on programs with a near certain minimum audience level. You have to guarantee a minimum audience or make up the difference in cash after the broadcast. 

We would have a better chance out right buying time on sub-channels - 8.3, 5.2, 11.2, etc. Those channels have a lot lower total viewers, but time can be purchased much more cheaply. The problem with those is a lot of broadcasters have totally leased those channels to what are now called "digi-nets," networks set up to take advantage for the new channels. These are GetTV, Antenna, Decades, etc. I'm not sure they can drop in a show like a game over a digi-net. 

I still go back to the best long-term solution is creating web-based distribution. A few years back there was resistance to this mainly because it was harder to get the programming on your real TV rather than a phone or tablet. But today the fastest growing place to watch video, including some sports, is on your phone and tablet. Plus about 50% of TV for sale come with a web connection already built in. For those that don't Chromecast, Roku, et al fill the niche nicely. The plus for this is keeping ALL of the ad revenue plus having fans pay small subscription fees. Why not include access with Mean Green Club membership at certain levels?  

My kids love Cozi TV.  They've gotten into watching the A-Team and Knight Rider.  They watch Columbo with me on the weekends.  Crazy.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

My kids love Cozi TV.  They've gotten into watching the A-Team and Knight Rider.  They watch Columbo with me on the weekends.  Crazy.

The key is to generate enough viewers to get ads while keeping costs low. Thus you have a lot of 80s programming. Alternatively, you take advantage of people who like to bing watch a particular show. That's the IonTV plan with BlueBloods on all day on Thursdays. Ion is a little different in that they are both a digi-net and a cable channel. It's tough to break into that with a sports program, especially just one. 

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

All of the ads on CoziTV are for older people and seems to be national in nature.  I don't know that I've ever seen a local company advertised on Cozi.

Everything they do is national. The feed goes to all the COZI affiliates nationwide. Localization ads costs. The only way sports would make sense is if the local station was will to substitute in a sports program for what they get from the digi-net. I've never seen one of these contracts so I've no idea if a drop in is possible. 

On the other hand, while flipping through the channels at night I've seen color bars with a phone number and a message that if you are interested in leasing this channel please call. Do you have access to a lot of cheap programming? 

59 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

On the other hand, while flipping through the channels at night I've seen color bars with a phone number and a message that if you are interested in leasing this channel please call. Do you have access to a lot of cheap programming? 

We have an archive of several hundred thousand posts.  If we could get theater kids to read the slap fights back and forth in a dramatic fashion... I mean is that any worse than daytime soaps?

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

We have an archive of several hundred thousand posts.  If we could get theater kids to read the slap fights back and forth in a dramatic fashion... I mean is that any worse than daytime soaps?

That could work. Of course can you imagine what Cougar Queen and ToddRodge would charge to the rights?

On 3/15/2017 at 11:02 AM, VideoEagle said:

Simple, agree to host a televangelist and a sketchy fat-loss pill (not approved by FDA) guaranteed to make you lose 15 pounds in one week at halftime.  Audience assured. 

1 hour ago, Stan R said:

Simple, agree to host a televangelist and a sketchy fat-loss pill (not approved by FDA) guaranteed to make you lose 15 pounds in one week at halftime.  Audience assured. 

To be certain, we should add some hair restoration product, an erectile drug and a bankruptcy lawyer/company. 

There are many, many of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" commercials on Cozi.  I used to think they were funny.  But, now that my parents are in their 70s, and I'm rapidly approaching 50, they aren't as funny as they used to be.  I can totally see my mom being a "fallen and can't get up"-type of old lady.