Mountain West cutting ties with TV

Thompson met with the conference’s presidents and athletic directors earlier in the week, and he said the clear sentiment was “to reassess” the increasing control of television in the marquee sports of football and men’s basketball.

They are about 20 years late for that discussion. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

If you look at ESPN as a whole with all their programs they really do suck. They have 4 major sports for the majority of viewers NBA, NFL, P5 BB and football. As like a lot of leagues we need to start selling out our own stadiums!

ESPN is a total joke. Their filler programs include bowling, toughman competitions, and the drone racing league.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

I think the MWC is on to something. C-USA, which gets even less money (but also has less scheduling problems due to not being out west) should follow suit. Yes the attention is nice. But you start selling out and the attention from TV will come. Also the networks have started only catering to the P5, and it is just less and less working for a a conference like C-USA

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, outoftown said:

I think the MWC is on to something. C-USA, which gets even less money (but also has less scheduling problems due to not being out west) should follow suit. Yes the attention is nice. But you start selling out and the attention from TV will come.

I thought CUSA's TV partner decided not to renew the TV contract?

13 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

And so the split begins...

It has always been a matter of when...look at the NCAA Tournament. The bubble teams that got in were almost entirely from the Power 6 (includes Big East). UTA, Monmouth, and Illinois State are among teams that couldn't get into a party that 15-loss Vanderbilt got invited to. Instead, we get USC, K-State, Providence, and Wake Forest as entries.

No lawsuit is changing this. They control the networks, the legislatures, and the media.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

It has always been a matter of when...look at the NCAA Tournament. The bubble teams that got in were almost entirely from the Power 6 (includes Big East). UTA, Monmouth, and Illinois State are among teams that couldn't get into a party that 15-loss Vanderbilt got invited to. Instead, we get USC, K-State, Providence, and Wake Forest as entries.

No lawsuit is changing this. They control the networks, the legislatures, and the media.

Sad but true.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but the opening weekend of the tournament is my favorite.  I'd much rather watch UTA, Monmouth, or Illinois St. than a spare P-6 team.

• Upvote 2