MGB: Friday scrimmage/practice notes

Brett Vito

I seem to recall a few player altercations every now and then during the NO Bowl run.  I think it means the players are hungry and don't want to be denied.

It can be a great sign, especially for a WR corp criticized for not being physical enough coming off the LOS.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I seem to recall a few player altercations every now and then during the NO Bowl run.  I think it means the players are hungry and don't want to be denied.

It can be a great sign, especially for a WR corp criticized for not being physical enough coming off the LOS.

One of the things Dickey did was a drill called "blood alley."  Players were lined up against each other, with a line of their teammates to their left and right.  The only way out was forward, through the other man.  

None of that patty cake bull$hit that Dodge employed that left us looking like we had never hit anyone before when the real games started.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I was there and saw "the new pecking order". This is the most that Vito has ever talked about Shanbour.....much less acknowledged anything positive about him. He used to dismiss him out of hand because, as he said to me once "good grief, he can't be over 5'10". Well since Mason Fine came along and started he had to stop saying that. And from my view from the sideline today, Shanbour didn't run anymore than Fine.......he was just more effective when he did run. And IMHO, Shanbour looks just as physically stout as Fine..... maybe more. So Vito's criticism of Shanbour applies just as much to Fine. And I would add that I guess that Shanbour's foot speed is about a step faster than Fine's. Remember last week when I talked about the head coach who came up to me and asked about Shanbour? He didn't bother to ask about anyone else. He only offered his opinion about Izzy when I asked him about it.

Lol.   Shanbour was "#2" coming out of Spring Practice last year too, remember?

Just get you a custom Shanbour Fathead and put him on your bedroom wall Silver.  That way he'll be with you every night.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Lol.   Shanbour was "#2" coming out of Spring Practice last year too, remember?

Just get you a custom Shanbour Fathead and put him on your bedroom wall Silver.  That way he'll be with you every night.

Fair and balanced coverage will do fine (no pun intended). 

30 minutes ago, greenminer said:

@emmitt01 I never knew of blood alley.  Interesting.

I would love to know if Fine looks better than last year.

Skills-wise, he pretty much looks the same. He will look a lot better if he gets consistent protection from his OL this year.

36 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

One of the things Dickey did was a drill called "blood alley."  Players were lined up against each other, with a line of their teammates to their left and right.  The only way out was forward, through the other man.  

None of that patty cake bull$hit that Dodge employed that left us looking like we had never hit anyone before when the real games started.

During my visit with the parents of Zack Bishop I mentioned that exercise/drill. I told Mr. Bishop that not even the punters and kickers were exempt from the drill.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Fair and balanced coverage will do fine (no pun intended). 

Why would Vito want to spend a lot of time covering a guy who is a non-factor?
Shanbour is a great locker-room presence, has a fantastic understanding of the game, and will likely make a very good football coach one day if he pursues that avenue...   Actually, I bet he does well in anything he does upon graduation because he seems to be a bright, ambitious, hard-working guy.

But on the gridiron, his story is more reminiscent of "Rudy".    

Where is O'Hara?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Shanbour is a great locker-room presence, has a fantastic understanding of the game, and will likely make a very good football coach one day if he pursues that avenue...   Actually, I bet he does well in anything he does upon graduation because he seems to be a bright, ambitious, hard-working guy.

Where is O'Hara?

I mentioned O'Hara last week. He spends the whole practice gingerly pitching the ball back and forth to a fellow rehabber. In other words, he's still in rehab.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Where is O'Hara?

It sounds like Shanbour essentially just got bumped back to a RS Junior status so he has got 2 more years.

Bummed to hear that Pearson does not look like he is ready.  Still a long way to go before September though.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

It doesn't sound like Shanbour is running second team, because he is outstanding but rather that the others haven't shown much.    Overall, not a good development.   

Perhaps this is his year to shine.

5 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

It sounds like Shanbour essentially just got bumped back to a RS Junior status so he has got 2 more years.

Bummed to hear that Pearson does not look like he is ready.  Still a long way to go before September though.

Which is crazy when you consider this is already going to be his 6th season out of high school. If he is still here in 2018 that'll be his 7th year out of high school. Dude could have a dang PhD before his eligibility is up.

• Upvote 6

43 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Which is crazy when you consider this is already going to be his 6th season out of high school. If he is still here in 2018 that'll be his 7th year out of high school. Dude could have a dang PhD before his eligibility is up.

You know what's awesome? I sent him to Benford before all big schools came in late. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1