UNT regents plan to hire search firm to find new chancellor

Skipper

Never was a fan of Jackson, found him worthless. I hope they do a 100 times better and get a Chancellor who cares about UNT with a passion for and understanding the value of college sports. Not a guy who wants to figure out how to mark his Name in Dallas. 

19 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Never was a fan of Jackson, found him worthless. I hope they do a 100 times better and get a Chancellor who cares about UNT with a passion for and understanding the value of college sports. Not a guy who wants to figure out how to mark his Name in Dallas. 

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Jackson never really got or supported athletics.  That along with the accounting fiasco hurts his legacy in my opinion.

Would love to see us land someone like John Sharp @A&M, Admiral McRaven @UT or Renu Khator @UofH.   Someone who appreciates and understands the importance of athletics as a window to the university. 

I love athletics, but there are much higher priorities in naming a new chancellor.   NT needs someone who can compete with second tier state universities (everyone but UT and A&M) for prestige and funds.  

I feel like despite, certainly not because of, Jackson; that NT has a lot going on positive right now.   NT needs someone that can build on that and elevate NT to were they should be in the state hierarchy.  It may never be possible to get to the big two in status and relevance, but there is no reason that NT should not bypass UH and Texas Tech for example.  

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Jackson never really got or supported athletics.  That along with the accounting fiasco hurts his legacy in my opinion.

Would love to see us land someone like John Sharp @A&M, Admiral McRaven @UT or Renu Khator @UofH.   Someone who appreciates and understands the importance of athletics as a window to the university. 

The "Athletics is the Window/Front Porch to the University" thing is for the University president to express... then make happen.

The chancellor needs to have the ability to build clout with the State Legislature and donors to help build the University system.  This includes all campuses, but should prioritize your bread & butter flagship campus.

Think UT's Chancellor gives a flip about UT-PB?  Maybe a little.  He's making things happen for the Austin campus first.  

Jackson's focus on UNT-Dallas, & UNT-Dallas Law left alot of work undone for the advancement of UNT-Denton.   Then, throw in the fact that the most recent run of University presidents have included someone who was in ENTIRELY over her head, and a dude who was coasting to retirement, and you see a lot of stagnation.   UNT progressed in spite of them.    Glad Rawlins at least got us on the track to our Carnegie Tier 1 recognition.  Smatresk seems to be keeping the ball rolling, and hopefully he can begin expediting the things he's wanting to accomplish.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The "Athletics is the Window/Front Porch to the University" thing is for the University president to express... then make happen.

The chancellor needs to have the ability to build clout with the State Legislature and donors to help build the University system.  This includes all campuses, but should prioritize your bread & butter flagship campus.

Think UT's Chancellor gives a flip about UT-PB?  Maybe a little.  He's making things happen for the Austin campus first.  

Jackson's focus on UNT-Dallas, & UNT-Dallas Law left alot of work undone for the advancement of UNT-Denton.   Then, throw in the fact that the most recent run of University presidents have included someone who was in ENTIRELY over her head, and a dude who was coasting to retirement, and you see a lot of stagnation.   UNT progressed in spite of them.    Glad Rawlins at least got us on the track to our Carnegie Tier 1 recognition.  Smatresk seems to be keeping the ball rolling, and hopefully he can begin expediting the things he's wanting to accomplish.

Jackson's problem was he wanted to leave a legacy in Dallas and was using UNT to do it, I don't think he cared one bit about UNT main campus other than what it took to do Dallas projects.  

1 hour ago, KingDL1 said:

I SECOND WHAT YOU SAID----YOU ARE RIGHT ---HE WOULD MOVE THE MAIN CAMPUS TO DALLAS IF HE COULD

• Upvote 2

Again, I am not sure how Jackson ever got close to a major university chancellorship.  Looking at the other big university systems in Texas, only the chancellor at UH has an academic background.   Texas Tech and A&M have both ex-state politicians at the position, while UT has a retired general. 

The UH chancellor is also the President of the University as Hurley used to be at NT.  

A very good sign to me is that a search firm has been employed which hopefully means that a real search will be undertaking to find someone much more qualified than Jackson.  Hopefully, this is not another rubber stamp deal for one of the Governor's buddies.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The UH chancellor is also the President of the University as Hurley used to be at NT.

Hmmm.  If one person can do both jobs for the UH system, then why not Smatresk?!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Again, I am not sure how Jackson ever got close to a major university chancellorship.  Looking at the other big university systems in Texas, only the chancellor at UH has an academic background.   Texas Tech and A&M have both ex-state politicians at the position, while UT has a retired general. 

A very good sign to me is that a search firm has been employed which hopefully means that a real search will be undertaking to find someone much more qualified than Jackson.  Hopefully, this is not another rubber stamp deal for one of the Governor's buddies.  

Speaking of academics, maybe we should get George W. as chancellor.

• Upvote 1