'18 OLB Keyshawn Johnson (Duncanville HS)

GMG24

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Guys I spoke with Keyshawn this week. Coach Koonz called him after Hunt Committed and said they were just taking the two LBs as of now. Keyshawn is a good just and understood. I believe if offer was still there he would be Committed to UNT

That is sad to hear, but good to hear at the same time...

Sad that he couldn't commit here (like it is believed) because the spot had been taken, but good that he would have picked us and that Koonz reached out to him and just didn't flat out ignore him either. 

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

That is sad to hear, but good to hear at the same time...

Sad that he couldn't commit here (like it is believed) because the spot had been taken, but good that he would have picked us and that Koonz reached out to him and just didn't flat out ignore him either. 

He had the offer for months and set on it waiting for something bigger. Can't fault the staff. But glad Koonz handle better than past staffs 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He had the offer for months and set on it waiting for something bigger. Can't fault the staff. But glad Koonz handle better than past staffs 

agreed, because wasn't it with Lester (?) the Dec grad Safety from LA Valley that would have been part of this last class, that said that UNT just dropped communicating with him completely? Also, hopefully this will led to a few other kids that are high on UNT to commit sooner than later.

8 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Guys I spoke with Keyshawn this week. Coach Koonz called him after Hunt Committed and said they were just taking the two LBs as of now. Keyshawn is a good just and understood. I believe if offer was still there he would be Committed to UNT

There you go @TheReal_jayD  letting the facts get in the way of bitching about Seth's recruiting

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Have to choose 1 over the other, since (if Jay_D is correct) coach Koontz can only have 2 LBs this class and the other is going to ILB - Hunt  (which makes me question if the Cade Barnard offer is still valid?)

Larry Nixon:  6'2", 205lbs   2* .75 rating.  No other offers
Keyshawn Johnson: OLB 5'11", 214lbs  2* .76 rating.  Army/LAMo/LALa offers

Recruiting is an odd game to play.   It's like juggling with young men's futures.

• Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

agreed, because wasn't it with Lester (?) the Dec grad Safety from LA Valley that would have been part of this last class, that said that UNT just dropped communicating with him completely? Also, hopefully this will led to a few other kids that are high on UNT to commit sooner than later.

Michael Sewell Jr

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

So does this mean Nixon (and Hunt) will both be playing outside linebacker on the second level as opposed to at the LOS?

• Lovely Take 1

10 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

So does this mean Nixon (and Hunt) will both be playing outside linebacker on the second level as opposed to at the LOS?

That's the plan I believe for them starting out. Wouldn't be surprised if snagged 2 juco lb. I know one for sure. I believe it depends how your lb core step up this season

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

That's the plan I believe for them starting out. Wouldn't be surprised if snagged 2 juco lb. I know one for sure. I believe it depends how your lb core step up this season

Thanks. Even if they step up, we only have 3 second level linebackers who have eligibility after this year (Fulp, Garner, Ejiya). And Garner and Ejiya will be seniors when these guys get to campus so definitely a need for JUCO linebackers

• Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Thanks. Even if they step up, we only have 3 second level linebackers who have eligibility after this year (Fulp, Garner, Ejiya). And Garner and Ejiya will be seniors when these guys get to campus so definitely a need for JUCO linebackers

Linebacker is a big concern for me this year.  I think we lack depth, and also a physical presence.  We don't have a physical player like Josiah Tauaefa  - but than again we aren't alone in that particular regard.   It is definitely a position that we need to address in this next class.

On a positive note, I do think our d-line and secondary could be solid.  

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Linebacker is a big concern for me this year.  I think we lack depth, and also a physical presence.  We don't have a physical player like Josiah Tauaefa  - but than again we aren't alone in that particular regard.   It is definitely a position that we need to address in this next class.

On a positive note, I do think our d-line and secondary could be solid.  

Cody Fulp may surprise you. 

7 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Wrong. So, just, wrong. 

How does one justify him going from a lower ranked star to a higher ranked star because he committed to a different school? 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Proving what a load of crap the star ratings are once you get below 4 star players.

I would say once yet get below the P5 caliber recruits. Mid 3-stars who get offered by multiple P5 and commit P5 get rated numerous times by various staff members and very thoroughly, even though they aren't 4-stars. People forget how big the 3-star pool is.

When you get to G5 prospects who are borderline 2/3 stars, that's where it's really a crapshoot who is rating them, how thorough it is, and how many times they get evaluated (usually once, maybe twice after they commit). Which is why, when it comes to differentiating which of these 2/borderline 3 stars are more impressive pulls, is the better determinant for that. It is what it is.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I would say once yet get below the P5 caliber recruits. Mid 3-stars who get offered by multiple P5 and commit P5 get rated numerous times by various staff members and very thoroughly, even though they aren't 4-stars. People forget how big the 3-star pool is.

When you get to G5 prospects who are borderline 2/3 stars, that's where it's really a crapshoot who is rating them, how thorough it is, and how many times they get evaluated (usually once, maybe twice after they commit). Which is why, when it comes to differentiating which of these 2/borderline 3 stars are more impressive pulls, is the better determinant for that. It is what it is.

The best way to differentiate between these borderline players are offer lists. If a combined 300 years (5-6 teams) of coaching experience wants a recruit then odds are in his favor of being at minimum a very productive special teams player and contributor as a jr and sr. If you compare it to just 40-60 years of experience (1 team), those odds decline sharply. We could sign 25 NR guys as far as I'm concerned, so as long as we're sitting on 80-100 FBS offers as a class. 

I looked at the breakdown of 247 recruits once. They typically rate about 3,200 recruits (which just so happens to be about the same number of recruits signed annually by FBS schools, 130*25). 

Of the rated recruits, about 1% are rated 5 star (this number has crept up in recent years), 10% are 4 stars, 40% are 3 stars and the remaining rated players are 2 stars. 

I don't think it is too hard to imagine that the difference between the 1,500th recruit and the 1,700th recruit is going to be pretty small, but one will be a 3 star and the other a 2 star. However, the difference between a mid 3 star and a mid 2 star could be pretty noticeable because you could be talking about a 1,000 player gap. 

• Upvote 1