'18 OLB Keyshawn Johnson (Duncanville HS)

GMG24

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

2018 recruit. Hasn't committed yet but UNT his #1

Good to hear. Really seems like the staff is stepping up their twitter game significantly. I'm seeing recruits tweet out way more stuff about "UNT Showing Love" with custom graphics.

Breath of fresh air compared to the previous regime

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

2018 recruit. Hasn't committed yet but UNT his #1

Nice!   Film is very instinctive.  He puts himself in good position to make plays.  Would be a great pickup.  Hope he and Siggers are close.
His tackle form is going to need much work though.  Dudes at the D1 level are not going to go down as easy as he's making it look with his arm tackles and throwing guys to the ground and such...   Imagine this guy trying to put his hands on Aaron Jones' shoulders/chest to throw him down.  He'd get stiff-armed into oblivion.

• Upvote 1

This offseason, UNT needs to coordinate an LB camp in Denton,  with Orr and Robertson and the LB coach as well. Even Spencer and Kassel if they are able too.

Showing off the success of UNT LBs from the past and present would help us get some solid LB depth in the 2018 class. 

• Upvote 6

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Guessing the offer had expired after we had picked up the 2 LBs (Nixon and Hunt)??

Yep.  I would make this assumption as well.  Offers don't last forever.  In fact, if you look at the offer letter attached to the poll on the DMN website, you will notice in the wording that it says offer is good as long as they are still recruiting said position, or something like that.  So, no, I don't think we got out-recruited by ULM.

11 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Guessing the offer had expired after we had picked up the 2 LBs (Nixon and Hunt)??

11 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Littrell and UNT beat out by ULM, a program on it's death bed.  Simply amazing.

Sometimes people should just sit back and relax. Kid waited around on a bigger offer, our staff took commitments from 2 other LBs his ship wasn't available. Doubt we take 3 LBs gotta start evening roster out, so a few at each position will be max aside from OL/WR I'd guess. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Sometimes people should just sit back and relax. Kid waited around on a bigger offer, our staff took commitments from 2 other LBs his ship wasn't available. Doubt we take 3 LBs gotta start evening roster out, so a few at each position will be max aside from OL/WR I'd guess. 

Agreed, over-reaction and kids waiting to long for a bigger offer bites them in the butt sometimes...

Wondering if they end up moving the Aubrey kid to DT if the other OL kids start to click from this 2017 class. 

• Upvote 2

From the sounds of it, it seems like Nixon may be playing the jack position that Wheeler is playing. All Vito asked/specified was inside or outside linebacker, which may not be specific when one of our outside linebackers is more like a hybrid DE/LB. At 5'11" I doubt this kid would be on the edge, so I don't think Nixon took his spot. And we need more second-level linebackers. Not many on our roster who have eligibility after this year.

Maybe our offer to him expired, but we still need more linebackers for our future roster.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Littrell and UNT beat out by ULM, a program on it's death bed.  Simply amazing.

Guys I spoke with Keyshawn this week. Coach Koonz called him after Hunt Committed and said they were just taking the two LBs as of now. Keyshawn is a good just and understood. I believe if offer was still there he would be Committed to UNT

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2