ACUs Construction Progressing

LongJim

2 hours ago, GTWT said:

ACS is Div I FCS & they're building a stadium that seats 8.5k?

easily expanded 

Stadium_Day_680x510.jpg

Talk on their attendance http://acuoptimist.com/2016/01/new-on-campus-stadium-should-increase-attendance/

When these guys were dominating they only averaged 8k a game.  Abilene is a lonnnnnnng drive for alumni to make to watch FCS ball. 

Probably about right for ACU.  Shotwell was a drive away from the campus, much like Miami's, and antiquated. 

On campus, just a bit off the highway, yet nestled against neighborhoods, I've bet they can fill it. 

Look, we are talking about a program that was Division II five years ago.  They're not going to be drawing 30,000 a couple of years into their FCS voyage, if ever.

What they have successfully done is:
(1) Jumped up a notch in competition to FCS, then
(2) Assessed where they stood in that competition, then
(3) Made a decision based on it.

So, they did the opposite of "if you build it, they will come."  They did, "we've seen who comes, let's build something suited for them."  You don't often see that these days. 

Besides, it's safe to say that ACU has done fine for itself without athletics being the "window" to the university.  In fact, they would pride themselves upon the fact.  

My grandfather, dad, brother, and sister, as well as many aunts, uncles, and cousin have earned their degrees from ACU.  My grandfather's brother was a professor there; and his wife was the presidents' secretary for decades.  ACU's got a built in audience of church of Christers, and they don't particularly care whether or not the world is impressed with them.

Personally, it simply impressed me that Mosley & Co. were able to get the church of Christers to donate to the athletic department.  Normally, the alumni have only opened their wallets for the business department and bible/missions department.  There are many wealthy alumni from ACU.  Mosley just finally got some of it for the athletics side.  I'm hoping he has the same rain-making abilities for us in Denton.

Congrats to them.  It'll be a nice, little stadium for their faithful.  The little, old, blue-haired ladies who live in the adjacent neighborhoods can now walk to the football games as easily as they walk up the street to the old University church of Christ on Sunday mornings.  

• Upvote 3