Men’s basketball head coach Tony Benford relieved of coaching duties

Skipper

University of North Texas vice president and athletic director Wren Baker announced Sunday men’s basketball head coach Tony Benford has been relieved of his duties effective immediately.

Benford was at the end of his five-year deal with the university.

“After spending this season evaluating our men’s basketball program, we have determined that a change in leadership is necessary,” Baker said in a press release. “Tony and his staff have worked tirelessly for five seasons to help our student-athletes grow academically, socially and competitively. I am appreciative of those efforts. However, I believe we can compete for championships and, unfortunately, we have fallen short of those expectations.”

View Full Article

• Upvote 1

I received this in the mail at 7:07 pm:

66a3327c-eb8a-4502-91c9-e45cb76505c8.jpg
March 5, 2017
Mean Green Nation,

Earlier this evening I met with Coach Tony Benford as well as the men’s basketball team to let them know we would be changing leadership in our men’s basketball program. The press release regarding this decision will be available on MeanGreenSports.com . I shared with Coach Benford and his staff that we greatly appreciate the work and dedication they have given UNT. We will move expeditiously to find new leadership for your men's basketball program. I’m grateful for the support you give our coaches and student-athletes. I don’t take that for granted and I’m more excited than ever about our future.

Go Mean Green,

fe40bbf5-2fb4-491d-bc4b-a4cf3fb02399.jpg
  Vice President & Director of Athletics

13 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Nice personalized touch from AD. No doubt that between Baker and Mosley, this hire will be right.

I sure hope so,  I only wish they had pulled the trigger Feb 5th instead.

I hope it is not too late to add one more note of relief. The pressure is off now, we all feel better, and I'll be playing this at home all week!