New $12 million athletics project is set to start construction in April

Skipper

A new UNT track and field complex, costing almost $12 million, will break ground and start construction in April on Bonnie Brae and Willowwood streets and will be fully completed by spring 2018.

“This project has been in the works for several years,” said Jared Mosley, associate vice president and chief operating officer. “There was always a thought at some point we were going to need a new facility because of the age conditions that the track is in.”

Fouts Field

UNT will soon say goodbye to its 65-year-old football stadium Fouts Field. Mosley said it is “outdated” and that the equipment for the new facility will be “enhanced.”

Athletes and coaches are limited to what they can do over at Fouts. The track’s surface is starting to erode. Cracks are beginning to show up in the track and it has become a safety issue, said Mosley. Instead of renovating Fouts Field, which would be “extremely expensive,” it is “economical” to build a new facility.

As of now, UNT is unable to hold its own track and field meets. Fouts is “strictly a practice facility,” Mosley said. With the new facility, this will change, bringing in revenue by selling tickets and getting the attention of student recruits by exposing them to North Texas sports.

The new complex will be built on “very valuable” real estate located on on Bonnie Brae and Willowwood streets, south of the tennis complex, Mosley said.

“I am really excited for [the new facility] and to be able to run on a new track next year,” said freshman track and field athlete Jaida Johnson. “I think it is always good for change.”

By November 2017, the track, bleachers and press box will be completed. The operations building where the offices, locker rooms and restrooms are located will be completed by March 2018, said Mosley.

View Full Article

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Can't wait to see the parking crisis slightly relieved by demolishing Fouts and putting parking there, which should at least double the size of the Fouts lot. Sucks that all that parking is far away from every dorm and classroom building on campus, but better than nothing.

I think it is great because you will have shuttles run back and forth hopefully cutting back on traffic and parking issues within campus. Also parking places mean $$$$. Will definatly add some money to the coffers! 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'm hoping that they re-use the Fouts turf in the IPF, to save some of the $...

Also, isn't the Jumbotron still up at Fouts?

The playing surface at Fouts has to be approaching 10 years old if it isn't already. The scoreboard is even older than that and I don't know how it would be useful for a track facility.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'm hoping that they re-use the Fouts turf in the IPF, to save some of the $...

Also, isn't the Jumbotron still up at Fouts?

Have you played on the turf at Fouts?

I haven't been on it in years and I really don't think we should be risking the health of the players by using that surface.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Hopefully this is sarcasm?

3 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

So you're suggesting to build a brand new sparkling IPF and then put a grungy 10+ year old surface in this facility?

Yes it was sarcasm with people questioning and wanting to save money as much as possible...

Also, the Jumbotron question was just if it was still there... Doubt it could be used for anything, heck maybe WB can sale it to some D2 or D3 school lol

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3