DRC: Benford addresses future after loss to Southern Miss

Brett Vito

26 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Does Coach Benford's contract expire at the end of the regular season, or after the end of the tournament or any (ha) post season play ?  Or does it extend to some arbitrary date later in the year ?

GONE MEAN GREEN

I don't see the actual contract anywhere (surely somebody can find it), but this article from the DRC, dated December 4, 2012, states that Benford had just signed a five-year deal.  

That implies to me that the contract itself probably runs through November 30th of this year. 

During the Coaches Radio Show today at Rudy's...the final one for the year...Coach Benford pretty much said his good-byes if you listened carefully.  When this takes place...how ever long after the last game this coming Saturday, I would suspect that a new Coach would be named shortly after the NCAA Tournament concluders.  Lots of BB Coach movement around that time of year.  I am always sad, on the personal level, for any of our coaches who leave (not of their own accord).  Especially head coaches as that means several assistants will be losing jobs as well.  This uproots several families and careers. Not a good thing to have to experience.  So, on the personal level, I am saddened...Coach Benford is a really good guy and has done much to foster a "family" atmosphere within the BB program.  However, he does know better than those of us who watch from outside, how this coaching thing goes.  You win or you move along.  So, here's hoping the team can win a couple this week on the road so our seniors and the coaches can have that to recall as they head to other pastures.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

During the Coaches Radio Show today at Rudy's...the final one for the year...Coach Benford pretty much said his good-byes if you listened carefully.  When this takes place...how ever long after the last game this coming Saturday, I would suspect that a new Coach would be named shortly after the NCAA Tournament concluders.  Lots of BB Coach movement around that time of year.  I am always sad, on the personal level, for any of our coaches who leave (not of their own accord).  Especially head coaches as that means several assistants will be losing jobs as well.  This uproots several families and careers. Not a good thing to have to experience.  So, on the personal level, I am saddened...Coach Benford is a really good guy and has done much to foster a "family" atmosphere within the BB program.  However, he does know better than those of us who watch from outside, how this coaching thing goes.  You win or you move along.  So, here's hoping the team can win a couple this week on the road so our seniors and the coaches can have that to recall as they head to other pastures.

I have no doubt that coach Benford will land on his feet as an assistant somewhere and regain his 'recruiting guru' status.   He'll not be unemployed long.

OLHY HSIT

I don't want to restart the clock

25 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Benford’s contract starts with a base salary of $320,000 and escalates each season until reaching $393,593 in the last year of the contract, which ends April 30, 2017.

Thanks Old Guy  (I SAID THANKS OLD GUY !!!)

GONE MEAN GREEN

58 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Benford’s contract starts with a base salary of $320,000 and escalates each season until reaching $393,593 in the last year of the contract, which ends April 30, 2017.

Thanks Old Guy  (I SAID THANKS OLD GUY !!!)

GONE MEAN GREEN

No, thank you for actually reading the article.  The answer was right there, staring me in the face, and I didn't see it. 

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Hopefully Wren will at least announce that Benford's contract will not be renewed before April 30.

I expect an announcement either following the end of the regular season or the conference tournament. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2/27/2017 at 8:52 PM, UNTFan23 said:

I expect an announcement either following the end of the regular season or the conference tournament. 

We will probably wait until after the conference tournament. We wouldn’t want to risk the well-being of the student athletes on the Women’s team with the added distraction.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NT1978 said:

We will probably wait until after the conference tournament. We wouldn’t want to risk the well-being of the student athletes on the Women’s team with the added distraction.

But what about distracting them from their school work during the rest of the spring semester!?