Assuming we get a new coach

oldguystudent

It's well established that I'm no basketball expert, so I ask the following questions out of sincere curiosity with no intent of stirring any pots:

I think it is at this point a foregone conclusion that we will have a new head coach pacing the sidelines next season.

Without speculating on who that person might be, I'm curious about timing, talent, and recruiting?

Is national signing day the same for basketball as it is for football?  Is there any time whatsoever for a new coach to recruit any players for next season? 

How does it work if a number of current players choose to leave, leaving the team short handed for 2017-2018?

Is there raw talent on the existing roster to win games with a better coaching system/game manager? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

It's well established that I'm no basketball expert, so I ask the following questions out of sincere curiosity with no intent of stirring any pots:

I think it is at this point a foregone conclusion that we will have a new head coach pacing the sidelines next season.

Without speculating on who that person might be, I'm curious about timing, talent, and recruiting?

Is national signing day the same for basketball as it is for football?  Is there any time whatsoever for a new coach to recruit any players for next season? 

How does it work if a number of current players choose to leave, leaving the team short handed for 2017-2018?

Is there raw talent on the existing roster to win games with a better coaching system/game manager? 

Basketball signing day is April 12.

• Upvote 1

Most who post here are far from experts, but it does not stop us from trying to act like we are.  

I have posted several times on here, that I think NT has a much better returning talent base than you would anticipate based on their record.    There may be significant turnover, but right now NT has 9 players who could return next season plus 2 already signed recruits.   The key player is definitely Combs who has already demonstrated he is a premier CUSA player.   The issues are can he fully recover from his recent operation and will stay at NT as it has been reported that he could transfer as a graduate.     

I think the absolute priority for the new staff is to keep freshmen Woolridge and Lawson.  Both of these players had outstanding freshmen seasons and they could be a dynamic guard duo for three more years.   Temara has shown in the last half of the season that he also could be a valuable one year piece of the team.  Other returnees have shown potential, but I its anyone's guess if they will fit into a new coaches' plans.  Both incoming recruits could be very good.  

As far as the new coach recruiting, there won't be a lot of time; but there are going to be a lot of new coaches in the same position.  I really think the new coach is going to spend a lot of time evaluating the current roster.  I would anticipate him signing a couple of recruits early and he will probably not renew all the current ships.   This is not like football, it is very common for players who are on one year scholarship to not be offered another year.  

As far as players leaving because they want to, I think there is a big danger of that.  I think Woolridge and Lawson could both be big targets, but they would have to set out a year.  Likewise Brice, who at 7'1 would be attractive to a lot of programs.  A red shirt after transferring could actually help his career.    

• Upvote 2

A coach with a proven track record for D-1 success should help solidify the prospect of players transferring out of the program.  A weak choice could be a cause for alarm if we assume that some of our current players can be good.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

@GrandGreen one thing to consider is that Woolridge has already used his redshirt so that should make him a less likely transfer candidate.

You are right.  

Another point, it was apparently a high priority in the Benford hire that he could keep the squad he inherited together.   I think getting the right coach this time is much more important than the status of the returnees.  As stated, I think there is the nucleus of a good team available to the new staff; however the right hire should be capable of getting better players. 

• Upvote 2

So some questions that I have..

I'm assuming if we hire an Assistant HC to become our HC, we don't have to suffer from a buy out correct like with SL when he came from UNC?

With that being said, do we think that WB would/should buyout someone at a smaller school that was a HC instead of an Assistant at a bigger school?

And what is most important with a B-Ball coach? and do we keep any of the current staff around?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2/26/2017 at 9:38 AM, oldguystudent said:

Here is what we have coming back to next year, going off of the best player at each position 1-5, based on the conventional fit for each position:

PG - RS SO Ryan Woolridge

SG - SO AJ Lawson

SF - RS SR Keith Frazier

PF - SR Jeremy Combs

C - JR Rickey Brice

Bench:

PG/SG - JR Jamichael Brown

SG/SF - JR Amaad Wainwright

SG/SF - JR Allante Holston 

PF - JR Shane Temara

PF/C - FR Zach Simmons

PG/SG - RS JR/SR Greg White-Pittman

PF/C - RS JR Khalil Fuller

So if our new coach can keep these guys, he will only have one spot left to sign his own player. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that a good coach would be able to get that roster over .500 and being a factor come CUSA tourney time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gibbz said:

I'll be extremely surprised if Frazier is able to stick around.

I wouldn't count on it, but at the same time this is his last chance to make something out of his college career. If he's getting advice from anyone who has any clue, they'd be strongly encouraging him to come back and make the most of this opportunity or his career of playing meaningful basketball is likely over.

• Upvote 4

I am not trying to stir up anything here, I just have a three-part question that has been in the back of my mind for some time.

A. Did Frazier feel pressured to play before he was physically able? OR B. Did Frazier push himself too hard ? OR C. Was this simply a case of "shit happens"?

Whatever the answer, I feel for him and hope he can get healthy...whether he plays for us again or not.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Here is what we have coming back to next year, going off of the best player at each position 1-5, based on the conventional fit for each position:

PG - RS SO Ryan Woolridge

SG - SO AJ Lawson

SF - RS SR Keith Frazier

PF - SR Jeremy Combs

C - JR Rickey Brice

Bench:

PG/SG - JR Jamichael Brown

SG/SF - JR Amaad Wainwright

SG/SF - JR Allante Holston 

PF - JR Shane Temara

PF/C - FR Zach Simmons

PG/SG - RS JR/SR Greg White-Pittman

PF/C - RS JR Khalil Fuller

So if our new coach can keep these guys, he will only have one spot left to sign his own player. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that a good coach would be able to get that roster over .500 and being a factor come CUSA tourney time.

I am not sure that Frazier could come back even if he wanted to.  

I think a more likely starting lineup:

Woolridge, Lawson, Wainwright, Combs, Temara

With Simmons being worked into the lineup fairly quickly

I agree that this team should be at least a middle of the conference team.  Adding a healthy Frazier would be a great bonus.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I am not sure that Frazier could come back even if he wanted to.  

I think a more likely starting lineup:

Woolridge, Lawson, Wainwright, Combs, Temara

With Simmons being worked into the lineup fairly quickly

I agree that this team should be at least a middle of the conference team.  Adding a healthy Frazier would be a great bonus.  

Don't forget that Combs is lined up to graduate and could use his final year of eligibility as a grad transfer.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Where did you hear that? This is only his 6th semester of college

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2017/01/north-texas-has-shut-down-jeremy-combs.html/

The question now is if Combs will continue his career at UNT. He is on track to graduate this summer and could elect to play his final season at another school as a graduate transfer.

• Upvote 1

It is my understanding that Frazier needs a waiver to play. It is anyones guess how that would go.

Edited by MeanGreenDadx2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If I'm the new coach, I would seriously think about not bringing Pittman or Fuller back. Use those scholarships on better players. Can't imagine Frazier coming back. He would only have 1 semester to play. Would/Could he sit another semester to play conference games?

Hope Baker considers a coach that can come with an impact package. Zach Simmons may end up being a steal. Though a nice project, I would hate to lose him in the transition. I can see him pushing Brice in the middle but needs more bulk and muscle. Wainwright didn't show me much the only time I saw him but that team was loaded. Don't see him making that much of an impact. Not a great shooter and hates to bring the ball up the court.    

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cooley said:

If I'm the new coach, I would seriously think about not bringing Pittman or Fuller back. Use those scholarships on better players. Can't imagine Frazier coming back. He would only have 1 semester to play. Would/Could he sit another semester to play conference games?

Hope Baker considers a coach that can come with an impact package. Zach Simmons may end up being a steal. Though a nice project, I would hate to lose him in the transition. I can see him pushing Brice in the middle but needs more bulk and muscle. Wainwright didn't show me much the only time I saw him but that team was loaded. Don't see him making that much of an impact. Not a great shooter and hates to bring the ball up the court.    

I suspect several players will not be renewed.   I would not want to be either White-Pittman or Fuller, they have lost a red shirt year and really haven't had a change to show their merit.   However, they may much better now than they were; hope they get some kind of opportunity to prove themselves.   I suspect the three juniors to be, Holston, Brice and Brown will also be strongly evaluated.    All have significant potential, and have been big contributors: but it all depends on what the new staff thinks they can bring in.  

Have not seen Wainwright, but his numbers are not bad on the team is on.   The Ttech pg is the big recruit on that team, so I not sure how much Wainwright has been needed to move the ball down the court.  

Even if Frazier wanted to come back and got a medical waiver, I really doubt a new coach wants to waste a ship on an one semester player.