Senior Day ends in disappointing loss for men’s basketball

Skipper

North Texas welcomed the University of Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles into Denton on Senior Day to close out the 2017 home schedule.

But what was supposed to be a day of happiness and celebration ended in agony for the Mean Green. North Texas (8-20, 2-14) was downed handily by the Golden Eagles (8-20, 2-14), solidifying the first losing record (7-11) at the Super Pit in 13 years.

The Mean Green are now officially eliminated from Conference USA tournament contention.

“I’m very disappointed in this afternoon,” head coach Tony Benford said. “I didn’t think we played well but Southern Miss had a lot to do with that. They did a great job executing against us. We missed some easy shots at the rim that I thought could have kept us in it.”

Freshman guard A.J. Lawson, who has had to pick up the slack that was left by an injury-ridden season, had a double-double to lead the way. Lawson has stepped up in the extended absence of senior guards Keith Frazier, Deckie Johnson and junior forward Jeremy Combs.

The freshman notched 17 points to go along with 10 rebounds and four assists.

“Team first,” Lawson said. “I don’t come out here to just try and score everything.”

Senior transfer Derail Green had one last chance to shine at home, and shine he did. Green finished with with 17 points and two rebounds, and no other Mean Green scorer broke into double-digits.

“I just tried to come out with some energy and do whatever I can,” Green said. “We feel a little bit short. It was more the defensive errors that we made. The energy wasn’t that bad it was the attention to detail.”

While Green and Lawson were strong, the Golden Eagles had a number of massive performances of their own.

Senior guard Quinton Campbell led with 24 points and 13 rebounds on 10-of-13 shooting. Senior Michael Ramey was lights out from 3-point range early on his way to 19 points. Ramey was a big part of the 47-30 lead that Southern Miss held at halftime.

View Full Article

• Upvote 2

giphy.gif

“I’m very disappointed in this afternoon,” head coach Tony Benford said. “I didn’t think we played well but Southern Miss had a lot to do with that. They did a great job executing against us. We missed some easy shots at the rim that I thought could have kept us in it.”

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 4

Ryan Woolridge reminds me of Russell Westbrook. In the past few games, he reminded me of Westbrook in a good way, by always attacking the rim and soaring up for rebounds, getting his teammates involved, going for steals. Today, he reminded me of Westbrook in a bad way. Too many turnovers, and today he put up too many bad shots. Just not finishing enough at the rim.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3