Army of Dad

Sad ending for the players, I was hoping for a little life out of the team in the last few games.  This team got dealt an impossible hand considering the injuries and the coaching staff.  However, I still think if Combs returns to form and plays at NT next year with the two freshman guards that they will be a much better team next year.   It would be very hard not to be.  

NT no doubt has made two of the worst hires possible in their last three mbb hires.  Just by the law of averages, whoever comes in should be a substantial improvement.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Everyone needs to be patient and let this evaluation process get the time it deserves.

How can you possibly expect a full evaluation to take place with so many notes to go through, the heat of trying to finish 12th in conference, and extending our head football coaches contract that was in zero danger of leaving. Just be patient everyone!  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We are officially eliminated from CUSA tourney contention. And Benford has surely coached his last game his in Denton.

Yep, and to me this game also proved that we are clearly the worst team in CUSA.  Thus, next year when we are struggling under a new coach, we will hear the company line of "This thing is going to take 3-4 years to fix. Consider what a disaster Benford left him with." 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

The kids I saw were all being fed. What if they weren't going to be fed at home and this is the only for sure meal they will get until Monday you heartless bastard?

I agree with you 100%...but how beneficial to a growing child is a shit sandwich? Did you consider the psychological effects?

On the other hand, I've read some positive posts about the nachos. Did they get nachos while forced to watch the game?

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

I agree with you 100%...but how beneficial to a growing child is a shit sandwich? Did you consider the psychological effects?

Fair point. Going hungry/be emotionally scarred.

Tough choices.

9 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Yep, and to me this game also proved that we are clearly the worst team in CUSA.  Thus, next year when we are struggling under a new coach, we will hear the company line of "This thing is going to take 3-4 years to fix. Consider what a disaster Benford left him with." 

#RinseRepeat

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wookies said:

Got to the game today and my seats that I've had for years have been reserved for some high school kids. 

This happened to me a few games ago. So besides the seat error, the bigger question is why are mid court seats even offered for sale to the general public, including opposing fans?  This has also happened in past years as well, where a group of opposing fans sat right around us at mid court, about 10 rows up.  It felt like a road game in our own section & lessens the need to buy season tickets to get a good seat.

This needs to be addressed & fixed.

1 hour ago, Wookies said:

Got to the game today and my seats that I've had for years have been reserved for some high school kids. They sure know how to make an alum feel special.

This used to happen to me at least once or twice a year. 

The only time it really annoyed me was one year when an overzealous usher wouldn't let me move to a different section because 'it was reserved seating'. Mind you, it was one of those noon weekday games where almost every other section was very empty, and I was trying to go down and sit next to someone (@UNTflyer or @UNTFan23, I think?) that was actively waving me down to sit in one of their unused seats. I tersely pointed over to my OWN reserved seat ticket, and the DISD kid sitting in it, then called whoever it was waiting for me to hold up their second, unused ticket. And she finally let me go sit down. 

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

Down by 22.

I find it amazing that most of the assumptions on GMG lean towards the positive outcome while a majority of the actions of UNT over the past fifteen years have leaned toward negative outcomes. 

Which is how you get a half-assed AD sticking around for fifteen years, a horrible BB coach for five, and a fan base in a state of panic if a five-win coach leaves.

#truth 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT94 said:

This happened to me a few games ago. So besides the seat error, the bigger question is why are mid court seats even offered for sale to the general public, including opposing fans?  This has also happened in past years as well, where a group of opposing fans sat right around us at mid court, about 10 rows up.  It felt like a road game in our own section & lessens the need to buy season tickets to get a good seat.

This needs to be addressed & fixed.

And it may, but you just need to be patient and allow the evaluation period to take place.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

On the other hand, I've read some positive posts about the nachos. Did they get nachos while forced to watch the game?

Oh, please tell me someone gave the poor kids nachos!

4 hours ago, Wookies said:

Got to the game today and my seats that I've had for years have been reserved for some high school kids. They sure know how to make an alum feel special.

Since it was another beating, maybe they were thinking of you? Like, "Let's not make the loyal season ticket holder suffer, let's make some snotty kids watch the game just so they know how life really is..."

Or something like that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Oh, please tell me someone gave the poor kids nachos!

Since it was another beating, maybe they were thinking of you? Like, "Let's not make the loyal season ticket holder suffer, let's make some snotty kids watch the game just so they know how life really is..."

Or something like that.

Could be, maybe they saw how many times I rolled my eyes or shook my head in disbelief from the last game. Now I feel all better.

17 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Listening to the game now.  Hard to hear the announcers over the "loud crowd noise".  Must be a massive turnout.

Reported crowd...3,360.  Probably the biggest crowd of the year ... Fueled by the Communities In School promotion on campus. Showing once again that promotions can and do work.  Sure, lots of free tickets given out, but also lots of kids in the concession stand lines.  Perhaps one or two of the adult chaperones found enough to like to come back next season for a game or two or three.  

Interesting that yesterday they removed Keith Fraziers framed jersey from the senior day ceremony.  He may have not been there early enough to participate, I don't know, but he was on the bench with his teammates for the game.  No clue why he did not go on court to accept his framed jersey and autographed ball.  I always enjoy being at the games where we celebrate our seniors.  These student-athletes have a lot on their plates during their college years and the vast majority...by far the vast majority...have represented our university very well, both on and off the court and playing fields.  Good luck to all our seniors!

• Upvote 1

Hey, you folks want to see a fun basketball game?  We'll have a bunch of folks squaring off on April 1st at 3pm at the UNT Volleyball court.  If you want to meet some of your fellow GoMeanGreen.Com posters, come to the Seventh Annual Cheer Basketball Classic on April 1st and help us raise a few scholarship dollars for the UNT Cheer Team.

Just click on this link for details: https://one.unt.edu/2017basketballclassic for all the details....you can sign up to play or make a donation to help these student-athletes, or simply get info on the event.

Come have some fun watching a basketball game...no worries...no stress...just a bunch of fun.  Plus, there will be a silent auction with some nice UNT related items along with other non-UNT items.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

26 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Interesting that yesterday they removed Keith Fraziers framed jersey from the senior day ceremony.  He may have not been there early enough to participate, I don't know, but he was on the bench with his teammates for the game.  No clue why he did not go on court to accept his framed jersey and autographed ball. 

By playing in only four games this year and having never used a redshirt to this point in his college career, Frazier will easily qualify for a hardship waiver/medical redshirt. Whether he chooses to go that route, be it here or at another school, is to be determined. He also could go and try and play overseas, or maybe even the d-league. But either way, he still has another year of eligibility at this point.

Hopefully he commits to using his last chance at D1 college basketball here for us next year.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, meanrob said:

Been here for 24 years. 

People can talk about money, budgets, facilities, conference-affiliation, fan support and whatever else excuse you can come up for not winning. The reason for the failure of UNT Athletics is nothing but poor decision-making and gutless leadership. And letting Benford coach this year, much less finishing out the season is at the top of that list. 

Whether it was the firing of RV, Helwig, Trilli, Benford, Dodge, or Mac, UNT let it get to the worst possible point before making a move. It had to get to rock bottom before deciding enough was enough. You can have all the shiny buildings you want, you don't fix that, nothing changes. 

I've been saying this for a while now. We are better than we were, as far as funding and actually talking positively about athletics at the administrative levels, but that improvement is going from 25% to about 50%. 

Wren Baker inherits the easiest job in America if all he needs to do is stay in budget and stay out of trouble. If it's about actual winning in sports that people care about, then he's got lots of work ahead. I'm optimistic, but only because he hasn't earned pessimism yet. But keeping Bumford all season was a colossal mistake, should have fired him as soon as a winning season was mathematically impossible.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bye Army of Dad, mean rob and the rest that let this Basketball season with a lame duck coach be their breaking point. If Baker had gone back on his word, fired Benford early and placed another lame duck like Evans or any of the other assistants to finish out the season, what would that have saved?  Absolutely nothing?  So what is the point of walking away now?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

28 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Bye Army of Dad, mean rob and the rest that let this Bank season with a lame duck coach be their breaking point. If Baker had gone back on his word, fired Benford early and placed another lame duck like Evans or any of the other assistants to finish out the season, what would that have chafe?  Absolutely nothing?  So what is the point of walking away now?

Allowing all the losing to continue without any consequence is chafing.

I also love how you are the one talking shit. You never come to games anyway so it's pretty easy for you to continue your "fan" level...

It's not just one thing, or one season but the long term habitual losing and utter lack of any real drive or care to have a winning program. FFS we've got bunches of fans ready to wet themselves out of joy from extending a 5-8 football coach who isn't killing it in recruiting. 

If your pal RV had been back along with Benford this year I'd have been done before now.

No school that is even half way serious about sports keeps a Benford level coach. He's now lost 20 games three time in five years. First losing home season in 13 years, first ever loss to a D2, never reached .500 against D1 competition and he gets five seasons!? This is deeper than just WB, but he needed to show that the long history of tolerating failure here isn't going to continue on his watch. By keeping Benford he's shown his hand.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

Allowing all the losing to continue without any consequence is chafing.

I also love how you are the one talking shit. You never come to games anyway so it's pretty easy for you to continue your "fan" level...

It's not just one thing, or one season but the long term habitual losing and utter lack of any real drive or care to have a winning program. FFS we've got bunches of fans ready to wet themselves out of joy from extending a 5-8 football coach who isn't killing it in recruiting. 

If your pal RV had been back along with Benford this year I'd have been done before now.

No school that is even half way serious about sports keeps a Benford level coach. He's now lost 20 games three time in five years. First losing home season in 13 years, first ever loss to a D2, never reached .500 against D1 competition and he gets five seasons!? This is deeper than just WB, but he needed to show that the long history of tolerating failure here isn't going to continue on his watch. By keeping Benford he's shown his hand.

What is being "allowed" by our new administration?  Fired McCarney, fired RV and will be firing Benford in one week.  Just announced a new track/soccer facility, upgraded lockers are done or being done, better home and home football schedules are being announced, good young football staff hired, all in roughly the past year outside of McCarney and Littrell.

Me talking shit?  Yep, I live 5 hours away and make a lot of football games, but less now that my boys have weekend activities.  Over my lifetime, I have gone to more NT sporting events than you can imagine.  Even though I don't live in the area, I still support athletics and the school to the best of my ability, and that is all I ask of any other fan.  You determine what "fan level" that makes me.  I am very comfortable with what and how I support NT.  If it makes you feel better to get in a dick swinging contest, so be it.

I understand the long term issues having been around since the 60's.  I also understand the difference in this administration and that they are all relatively new and deserve a chance to right the ship, something you aren't allowing.

My pal RV?  Where in the hell do you come up with that assumption?  Don't know the man, glad he is gone and heard him speak publicly and shook his hand we he arrived on campus and spoke to my Fraternity group.  Never shook his hand again, talked to him, nothing.  Swing and a miss there.

WB kept his word.  Benford isn't a problem he created and he decided to give the man a chance.  Maybe it was decided working under RV was the issue?  I don't knkw and neither do you.  We knew Benford was a bad hire because we had seen it first hand.  Baker gave him one season, that will end next weekend. Laying that at Baker's feet when the man hasn't been here a year and is working under the previous AD's budget is short sighted on your part.  We should give Baker the chance to make his hire and see what happens.

I apologize for resorting to and replying with some name calling, but don't throw out a bunch of accusations me that are not even close to truthful.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

On 2/26/2017 at 6:34 PM, UNTLifer said:

What is being "allowed" by our new administration?  Fired McCarney, fired RV and will be firing Benford in one week.  Just announced a new track/soccer facility, upgraded lockers are done or being done, better home and home football schedules are being announced, good young football staff hired, all in roughly the past year outside of McCarney and Littrell.

Me talking shit?  Yep, I live 5 hours away and make a lot of football games, but less now that my boys have weekend activities.  Over my lifetime, I have gone to more NT sporting events than you can imagine.  Even though I don't live in the area, I still support athletics and the school to the best of my ability, and that is all I ask of any other fan.  You determine what "fan level" that makes me.  I am very comfortable with what and how I support NT.  If it makes you feel better to get in a dick swinging contest, so be it.

I understand the long term issues having been around since the 60's.  I also understand the difference in this administration and that they are all relatively new and deserve a chance to right the ship, something you aren't allowing.

My pal RV?  Where in the hell do you come up with that assumption?  Don't know the man, glad he is gone and heard him speak publicly and shook his hand we he arrived on campus and spoke to my Fraternity group.  Never shook his hand again, talked to him, nothing.  Swing and a miss there.

WB kept his word.  Benford isn't a problem he created and he decided to give the man a chance.  Maybe it was decided working under RV was the issue?  I don't knkw and neither do you.  We knew Benford was a bad hire because we had seen it first hand.  Baker gave him one season, that will end next weekend. Laying that at Baker's feet when the man hasn't been here a year and is working under the previous AD's budget is short sighted on your part.  We should give Baker the chance to make his hire and see what happens.

I apologize for resorting to and replying with some name calling, but don't throw out a bunch of accusations me that are not even close to truthful.

Other than the daytime DISD games I don't think I've missed attending more than a half dozen MBB home games over the last 8 or 9 seasons. I called you out for talking shit because you aren't at the games. I know you support in other ways, but that's not the same as being there almost every game.

The new regime isn't actively showing they are much different than the previous one. RV is still lauded for allowing tailgating as if that's some master stroke of genius and not a ridiculously low bar to hurdle. 

As I recall, you were supportive of RV until the very end. That's what I meant by "Buddy". 

I don't need to see anymore from WB. I've already said that I felt like UNT needed a man of action and I'm not seeing it. WB has to understand that his short term view here isn't the same experience his customers have had. 

I didn't call you names, not sure why you had to start, but you can go play your own dick swinging games out in the oilfield, just leave me out of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1