ACU's new designs

soccer_6561320_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Story_688248_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Minnesota is getting ready to build their stadium

12426048.jpeg

Track_Exterior_big.jpg

A&M is building a new one

new_track.jpg

Personally I love what Duke is building only I think it would have been awesome to have one Main structure to support both stadiums and have each side slope down towards the opposite field and your concessions serving both fields centralized beneath the stands.  This is my Saturday FML

TrackStadium.jpg

I like your idea of one structure that supports both venues. Unfortunately due to space, I bet we have one with the track around the field. 

Edit: According to one of Krams post, we are going to have separate venues. Re-do the existing soccer field and then build a track with a practice soccer field in the middle. I like that idea. Where do the soccer gals practice now? 

Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

I like your idea of one structure that supports both venues. Unfortunately due to space, I bet we have one with the track around the field. 

IF that were the case then we should take Tulsa's approach with a larger set of stands.  You can see that the soccer stands are WITHIN the track itself and not relegated to the outside of the loop where fans feel more distant from the action

IMG_1867-1024x768.jpg

05_21_13_Campus_Aerials_156.jpg

Wait....nevermind on that One-Structure idea

UTSA_Class_IAAF_Story.jpg

Ideally I'd love to have two top notch separate facilities.  Finances and land availability might not make it possible.  I just want to make sure we do it right and build something our athletes can be proud of.  

One thing I can guarantee, no matter how great a facility we build we will have people on this board complain about it.  

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Ideally I'd love to have two top notch separate facilities.  Finances and land availability might not make it possible.  I just want to make sure we do it right and build something our athletes can be proud of.  

One thing I can guarantee, no matter how great a facility we build we will have people on this board complain about it.  

We could give away free beer at every game and people on this board would find something to bitch about. Too hot, too cold, too just right....

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Can't talk about college track facilities without mentioning Hayward Field, paid for by Nike of course.
hayward-field-ap_h.jpg?itok=ltzazbVH

U of H has the Carl Lewis International Complex14.jpg

and Yeoman Fieldhouse for Indoor T&F

hou-16-yeoman-rot2.jpg

I like the way UNC has their setup at Fetzer Field. The Carolina blue track surface is a nice touch.

YXGFDEKZAEDMVPX.20130910170159.jpg

I'm gonna say right now that someone needs to get Wren's ear about us getting a green track. 
Baylor just got one at the new Clyde Hart Track & Field Stadium.

Final-Collage-Small.jpg

The combined press box idea is exactly what Kansas just did at their new Rock Chalk Park. Awesome execution there. (Yeah its a rendering, sorry)

14topper_facilities_home.jpg

University of South Florida has a pretty nice place at USF Track and Field Stadium. Used to be their soccer field too until 2011.

CZOBTUSIUNSCYEC.20160321221631.jpg

The Mike Long Track at Florida State is nice too, nestled there in the pine trees.OWUFYGRTXHTOTDO.20140629085612.jpeg

And now, what I think it's probably one of the nicest soccer/track venues in the NCAA.

If we even tried to copy this for our new place, I wouldn't be mad.

Northern Arizona University's Lumberjack Stadium in Flagstaff. This is a Big Sky Conference facility y'all. FCS.

It was their football stadium until 1977, then served as track only and then started hosting women's soccer in 1997. In 2011 it was renovated as a part of their newly built $100 million Health and Learning Center which they built on the land right next to the stadium, which had been a parking lot. The glass walls and flying roof overhangs are part of the Health and Learning Center building behind it. It seats 1,000.

iakzavahq6qbl5dc.jpg

0072db1de430f221d9f1edf1ed14bc74.jpg

4e041e8e48b70.image.jpg

nau-wellness-center.jpg

57b97c60b06d8.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Track_720.jpg

1468949597356-NAU+-+Track+16.jpg

img_5162-aerial.jpg

Now, can you imagine something like that, but with a green track, green chair back seats and greenish glass that matches Apogee brickwork that matches the Hurley? 

I can.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, TheWestie said:

The combined press box idea is exactly what Kansas just did at their new Rock Chalk Park. Awesome execution there. (Yeah its a rendering, sorry)

14topper_facilities_home.jpg

I love how Kansas has all of these facilities placed together.  Then again, you start looking at the available land and you quickly run out of space for everything we would want.  I know I feel better with Wren Baker making these decisions than I ever felt about RV. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Here is my understanding of the track/soccer facility based on what Dr. Smatresk said in a recent meeting I attended for the College of Arts & Sciences: the facility will be an outdoor facility and the soccer field portion, inside the track, is meant to be a practice facility for soccer.  Soccer games to continue to be played where they currently are played.  The new track facility is also to have offices built for track and field and soccer.

Now, as always, much depends upon cost estimates and the ever changing attitudes, opinions, wants and needs of the athletic department and university.  Until plans are completed and dirt is turned, all remains in flux.  

But, this is just another move by a university administration that finally "gets it" when it comes to what a "Tier One Athletic Program" can do for the university overall in terms of funding and enrollment.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

Here is my understanding of the track/soccer facility based on what Dr. Smatresk said in a recent meeting I attended for the College of Arts & Sciences: the facility will be an outdoor facility and the soccer field proration, inside the track, is meant to be a practice facility for soccer.  Soccer games to continue to be played where they currently are played.  The new track facility is also to have offices built for track and field and soccer.

Now, as always, much depends upon cost estimates and the ever changing attitudes, opinions, wants and needs of the athletic department and university.  Until plans are completed and dirt is turned, all remains in flux.  

But, this is just another move by a university administration that finally "gets it" when it comes to what a "Tier One Athletic Program" can do for the university overall in terms of funding and enrollment.

Now that would be the ideal solution in my head, although then I'd wonder why spend an extra 5 million, but I am sure we'll know better once the plan details come out.

In any case looking at all the pics and having done track myself as a high school kid, I like them all from a track perspective. However, having been a fairly avid soccer spectator and fan over in Europe, I like none of these pictures for soccer. Just too much distance between spectators and the field, which is bad for game atmosphere. That said, if the above solution were what is happening, then that is no problem, as nobody cares how far spectators are away during practice.

15 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Here is my understanding of the track/soccer facility based on what Dr. Smatresk said in a recent meeting I attended for the College of Arts & Sciences: the facility will be an outdoor facility and the soccer field portion, inside the track, is meant to be a practice facility for soccer.  Soccer games to continue to be played where they currently are played.  The new track facility is also to have offices built for track and field and soccer.

Thanks for your updates, but frankly that doesn't make sense to me.   NT is going to pay an extra $5m for a practice soccer field.    Even if the field is further from the stands than the current soccer stadium, it has to be a lot nicer.   

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2017 at 8:50 AM, KRAM1 said:

So soccer needs a separate practice facility? Can't see that happening. They will also have access to the IPF.

18 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

So soccer needs a separate practice facility? Can't see that happening. They will also have access to the IPF.

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Thanks for your updates, but frankly that doesn't make sense to me.   NT is going to pay an extra $5m for a practice soccer field.    Even if the field is further from the stands than the current soccer stadium, it has to be a lot nicer.   

Just repeating what the President of the University said....what would that guy know anyway?

And, as I believe I stated...until dirt is turning...all plans remain in flux and subject to change.  Going to have something inside that track oval...why not a soccer field that works for field events as well?  It is certainly not just going to be dirt.

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2017 at 8:50 AM, KRAM1 said:

Great info Kram.  Glad you're here to provide this insight!

Do you know if they plan on upgrading the actual Soccer Stadium at all with this $12Mil budget?   If the interior of the T&F facility is just a soccer practice field, then it sounds like T&F is about to get a VERY NICE stadium.  
$12Mil is quite a bit of money to spend on a T&F-specific venue isn't it?  I would hope they might allocate some of that money to upgrade the current soccer stadium as well.  No better way to "take the next step" for the soccer ladies than to pour some funds into upgrading their lockerroom/stadium.  Let the DFW-area recruits know we're not just a good team, we're serious about winning.

This news pretty much removes any of the dual-sided ideas like Kansas & Duke above.

• Downvote 1