Seth Littrell receives extension through 2021

BillySee58

4 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Anyone got a link to the deets yet?

ETA: (cause I haven't found one yet). Curious if they moved money around or just tacked on a year.

I would think probably a rise(which is probably bonuses that RV put in like the bowl game bonus, becoming guaranteed) and hopefully a bit larger buyout(for leaving) with him getting an extra year and a bigger buyout if fired, is my guess.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

FOOTBALL

Head Coach Seth Littrell to Receive New Five-Year Contract

Deal Runs Through January 2022

DENTON – The University of North Texas and head football coach Seth Littrell have agreed to a new five-year deal, Vice President and director of athletics Wren Baker announced today. The agreement runs through the conclusion of the 2021 season, and was approved by the University of North Texas System Board of Regents.

“We are excited to announce this new agreement with coach Littrell,” Baker said. “Under one of the brightest young coaches in the country, our football program had the second-best turnaround in the nation last season and his performance was recognized by his colleagues and media members around the nation. This new contract represents an aggressive move to keep coach Littrell, his staff, and their positive momentum intact. This is validation of the successful efforts that Seth has led in the early stages of the turnaround of North Texas football.”

Littrell led the Mean Green to the second-best turnaround in the Football Bowl Subdivision in 2016, his first season at the helm. North Texas improved its win total by four games, finishing 5-8 on the season with a Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl appearance. Littrell helped lead the Mean Green to a 9.6 points per game jump in scoring offense from its output in 2016, which ranked 11th-best in the nation, and the 2016 defense allowed 8.7 points per game fewer than it did in 2015, which was the 13th-best turnaround in the country.

“I am very grateful for the clear support from our Board of Regents, our president Neal Smatresk and our athletic director Wren Baker,” Littrell said. “It means a lot to me to move forward with this new deal and continue to work hard with my staff to transform this into the championship-caliber program that our tremendous university, fans and alumni deserve.”

Season tickets for 2017 are on sale and fans can purchase tickets through the Mean Green athletics ticket office. For more information, visit meangreensports.com/tickets or call the ticket office at 940-565-2527 or 800-868-2366. The Mean Green open spring practice on Monday, February 27.

3 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Why?

I'm betting semantics around buyout clauses and such.   Wren probably did not like the way the previous deal was struck under RV.  
Also, reading both WB's and SL's comments about the deal, both mention his "staff" as well, which may allude to moving money around to up his asst pay...  just a guess.

• Upvote 7

Love to see this happen -- but the other piece to this is what about the assistants?  That assistant turnover issue is a big deal in my mind. 

Here is Vito's follow-up:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2017/02/unt-announces-new-five-year-deal-for-seth-littrell.html/

States it will put him "among the highest paid coaches in C-USA..."

Here is the listing of C-USA (and other) coaching salaries:  http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries

Interesting that it had Frank Wilson at UTSA just behind Rice Coach David Baliff who makes a little over 900K.  Littrell was listed as 3rd in C-USA at $815K according to  this listing. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Love to see this happen -- but the other piece to this is what about the assistants?  That assistant turnover issue is a big deal in my mind. 

In what way?  I think this is a good sign that we have coaches thought of that highly that big schools come in and want them.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

In what way?  I think this is a good sign that we have coaches thought of that highly that big schools come in and want them.  

For us to have the same guys for a couple of years before they leave, instead of the players learning guy every single year.

I agree its great seeing them go to P5 schools like UNC, UF, and UK... and I'm not sure what else we can offer them to stay besides even more money than a UF, UNC, or UK because they offer the money and a bigger football program as well.

• Upvote 1

I think we can agree that there is a big difference between SL and Mac.

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

This is all fine and good, but if Littrell's teams suck in the next few years, I don't want to hear that we aren't going to be able to do anything because he's got too many years left on his contract. It needs to be just like the McCarney situation, not the Benford/Dodge/Trilli situations...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

This is all fine and good, but if Littrell's teams suck in the next few years, I don't want to hear that we aren't going to be able to do anything because he's got too many years left on his contract. It needs to be just like the McCarney situation, not the Benford/Dodge/Trilli situations...

100%

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

We have one season of Seth.  It's too soon to make any such claims.

Exactly--I was one of the few that had no problem with given Mac an extension after he had shown the ability to turn this thing around. He took a team that won 8 games in the 4 years before he got here and won 9 games in the first two years he was here, then followed it up with a 9 win season and a HoD Bowl win. He deserved an extension--just not thrilled it was a brand new 5 years deal, probably should have been a couple of season. That said, when things hit the bottom in 2015, and he had to be fired, we paid the bill. Nothing about Seth Littrell getting an extension should change the fact that we MUST be willing to buy off bad coaches just as soon as possible. Benford is the poster child for letting cost dictate what you do for running a program--it just ruins it.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I agree with you but you would typically not want to have half your staff turnover every year.  This year was somewhat of an anomaly with the SEC/ACC's sweeping in.

I just wonder what prompted this even though I am glad for the outcome.   I would have thought they would have addressed assistant salaries based on what transpired.

24 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I think we can agree that there is a big difference between SL and Mac.

As of right now, they both went 5-7 in their first year.  Only difference is Littrell went bowling due to strong grades from Mac's stint.  And Mac had a 9-4 season when he got his extension.  

So until Littrel gets us a 9 win season and a bowl victory, you are right...there is a big difference.

• Upvote 5