'18 DT Calvin Avery (Bishop Dunne)

GMG24

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Why is an alum having to help get a top recruit who has an alum relative info on being recruited. SMH

Because Jr. Days are open to anyone to sign up.  You don't have to be a FBS prospect to come to campus and see what it is like.  All the people I know in coaching world have set up every Jr. Day for their athletes.  I did this as a favor to Cooley because he asked.  I am sure if he asked Calvin's coaches they'd be more than happy to help set it up.  You can sign up for Jr. Day at every school in Tx/USA as long as you can find their Director of Recruiting or HS Relations guy on the school website and email with the athletes class, position, name, and school just like we list on our thread titles. 

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/June2016_DIBowlSubdivisionFootballCalendar_20160613.pdf

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/12/17/7401635/ncaa-football-recruiting-periods-dead-quiet-evaluation

• Upvote 1

Just now, cdizzle86 said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Somebody in the AD needs to pick up a phone.

Quiet period

The quiet period tightens things a bit more, preventing any off-campus contact or viewing. Visits to the college's campus and written or electronic communications are still permitted.

Coaches often try to have prospects visit campus unofficially during this time in the spring and early summer, so that they can become familiar with campus.

• Upvote 4

Just now, GMG24 said:

Quiet period

The quiet period tightens things a bit more, preventing any off-campus contact or viewing. Visits to the college's campus and written or electronic communications are still permitted.

Coaches often try to have prospects visit campus unofficially during this time in the spring and early summer, so that they can become familiar with campus.

Thank you for the clarification!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Because Jr. Days are open to anyone to sign up.  You don't have to be a FBS prospect to come to campus and see what it is like.  All the people I know in coaching world have set up every Jr. Day for their athletes.  I did this as a favor to Cooley because he asked.  I am sure if he asked Calvin's coaches they'd be more than happy to help set it up.  You can sign up for Jr. Day at every school in Tx/USA as long as you can find their Director of Recruiting or HS Relations guy on the school website and email with the athletes class, position, name, and school just like we list on our thread titles. 

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/June2016_DIBowlSubdivisionFootballCalendar_20160613.pdf

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/12/17/7401635/ncaa-football-recruiting-periods-dead-quiet-evaluation

I have no idea what Calvin's coaches have been doing in terms of contact with UNT, but could it be that his coaches are putting UNT on the back-burner because of the likes of OU, UT, ND, etc having interest/ offered?

I'd like to think that all coaches do everything possible in terms of visits and that to any and every school possible that shows interest, but someone such as Calvin who will get ALOT of interest its likely hard. Leading to schools like UNT to get passed over for larger programs?

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I have no idea what Calvin's coaches have been doing in terms of contact with UNT, but could it be that his coaches are putting UNT on the back-burner because of the likes of OU, UT, ND, etc having interest/ offered?

I'd like to think that all coaches do everything possible in terms of visits and that to any and every school possible that shows interest, but someone such as Calvin who will get ALOT of interest its likely hard. Leading to schools like UNT to get passed over for larger programs?

There are coaches who will go after the big name for sure.  I just pray that every school has a guy like my school does who wants the best FIT for the kid.  Shoot he's the only one who has to spend 5 years there. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I called the coaches/recruiting office twice seeking info on Jr Day. Both messages went unanswered and unreturned.  Following the recorded instructions, I left my name, cell #, email address as well as my relationship to Calvin and his High Major  teammate. Both were thoroughly looking forward to the visit with me the next morning. 

As things turn out, we didn't hear back from UNT and Calvin was reminded very late that he had committed to attend the Tx Tech scrimmage at the Star in Frisco (about the same time). 

As I had assumed, his grandfather (my brother in law) has taken on the leading  role as primary advisor. He's insisting that  Calvin focus on those schools who shows the most interest in him. UNT didn't register at all in this category. 

Suprised he put this out so soon. I'm interested to know where recent offers from Florida St and ND affects this list. I know he wants an offer from Alabama and LSU

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Cooley said:

I called the coaches/recruiting office twice seeking info on Jr Day. Both messages went unanswered and unreturned.  Following the recorded instructions, I left my name, cell #, email address as well as my relationship to Calvin and his High Major  teammate. Both were thoroughly looking forward to the visit with me the next morning. 

As things turn out, we didn't hear back from UNT and Calvin was reminded very late that he had committed to attend the Tx Tech scrimmage at the Star in Frisco (about the same time). 

As I had assumed, his grandfather (my brother in law) has taken on the leading  role as primary advisor. He's insisting that  Calvin focus on those schools who shows the most interest in him. UNT didn't register at all in this category. 

Suprised he put this out so soon. I'm interested to know where recent offers from Florida St and ND affects this list. I know he wants an offer from Alabama and LSU

One of the saddest posts I've read on here.

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, Cooley said:

It's interesting to see this process through another lens Cooley. Coaches only have themselves to blame. We all really do hope he succeeds. If he sticks with it, we'll all be rooting for him in non-UNT games and possibly on Sundays. I wish him and your whole family health and wisdom through the process.

• Upvote 4

First off, I am unable to attend any of the Coach's Caravans due to not being close to any of them.  Why doesn't someone post a hypothetical to the coaches regarding how to contact them to inform them of a recruit, that a recruit has interest in visiting the campus, etc...  Use this situation as the example without using names.  The coaches cannot speak of players that are not on their team, so don't ask about Calvin specifically.  See how they answer.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Cooley said:

Pretty disappointing for sure.  I was able to email Stenklyft and he confirmed they were good for the Jr. Day, however the disheartening part is the phones not being answered or calls returned. 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Pretty disappointing for sure.  I was able to email Stenklyft and he confirmed they were good for the Jr. Day, however the disheartening part is the phones not being answered or calls returned. 

This is what is crazy to me.  Why would he confirm with you and then basically ignore the correspondence with a member of the player's family?

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

247 lists him as a TCU lean now. Sure would be nice to make a late push and have him just a bit north of Fort Worth landing in Denton. Perhaps if Bryce had a monster year, he could be swayed?

I feel we missed this boat. I doubt he even gives us a chance considering all the communication issues he had early on.

• Upvote 1