North Texas standout and All-Pro linebacker Zach Orr reflects on career cut short by injury

Skipper

Making the rounds in the athletic center adjacent to Apogee Stadium as he has done plenty of times before, there are plenty of people to see.

A voice calls out down the hall asking if Zach is still hanging around. As a faint yes echoes through the office, another Mean Green employee emerges from the back of the office to say hello. It is what Zach Orr does nearly every time he’s in town.

He stops by the campus that gave him a shot at his NFL dream and sees those who watched it become a reality – and the people who were just as crushed to watch it end.

“It’s just a feeling of joy when I step back on campus,” Orr said. “I have so many memories, not only from an athletic standpoint. It was the best four years of my life. I enjoyed my time here. I turned into a young man here. This university helped me grow.”

But on this day, he returned to UNT just a few weeks removed from making the call to end his own career.

Orr picked up a neck injury during the Baltimore Ravens’ 15th game of the season against the Pittsburgh Steelers, signaling the end of a breakout season for the DeSoto High School product. He started all 15 games he appeared in for the Ravens in 2016, leading the team with 132 tackles while forcing a fumble and intercepting three passes.

Zach-Orr-1.jpg

Zach Orr playing against Louisiana Tech in 2012. Rick Yeatts/Mean Green Athletics

View Full Article

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1