With a little bit of luck, Alexandra Heczey is making her presence felt for North Texas tennis

Skipper

Thinking back to her days in Hungary, a smile illuminates over the sun-kissed face of Alexandra Heczey. As the images of her homeland fill her mind, the elegant Gothic, Turkish and Baroque-style buildings that once surrounded her with a comforting embrace no longer exist.

Not here at least. Not in Denton.

As much as she misses her home, the soft-spoken freshman for the North Texas tennis team is not here to dwell on her past.

“I have a lot of things going on here,” Heczey said. “I just [don’t] have time to think about it“

But if it wasn’t for a bit of luck, Heczey may have never ended up with the Mean Green.

Heczey’s discovery of North Texas began with a simple Google search of the best hospitality degree programs in the country. When she saw UNT on the list she decided to reach out to head coach Sujay Lama.

And Heczey took an unconventional approach to contact him.

“I couldn’t find his e-mail, so I [messaged] him on Facebook,” Heczey said. “But because we weren’t friends my message went to the trash.”

While skiing in the mountains of New Mexico, Lama, already exhausted, took a break from his adventures and decided to check on his Facebook account. Out of the 35 or so spam messages Lama received, over half of them were recruits vying for his attention.

Uninterested, Lama decided to delete all of the messages.

Except for one, of course.

View Full Article