I need to be talked off the ledge....

meanrob

I must admit that I thought there would be more obvious new changes going on rather than the more subtle ones that Emmitt talked about. Especially with Mosley (a proven fund raiser at ACU) being brought on board. But other than the death watch of Bensons season, and no other high profile spring sports to focus on, there's not much in the way of "big splash" things for the AD to do until football season.

Maybe the spring events associated with the spring game and the subsequent caravan will be a bigger deal than in the past. 

• Upvote 3

The program has a major problem for Smatresk and WB to correct.  No money and no results.  If you have a pile of the first you will eventually find the second.  If you have results you will eventually find the money.   To come in and turn this thing around at this point we will need either a miracle donor or the University to step up in a big big way.  Well, what few donors we have now look at UNT as throwing good money after bad. You can count me in this group.  I only donated 500 last year and did not renew my four club seats.  I have not completely cut and run as I am still here on this board trolling for optimism.   Unfortunately I have found very little.   As to the University stepping up; I would not hold my breathe.  While it appears Smatresk would like to I think it is politically unpopular on several levels.  I’m sorry to be downer but this program needs a miracle and soon.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

4 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

Do you remember the report that came out shortly after he came on board? I don't think some of you guys realize what a shithole program RV left us in. Did you bother to ever head over to the tennis courts? I will be damned if they weren't in the worst playing condition than I have ever seen. That has been repaired. Did you see the piss poor condition various locker rooms were in? Most have been updated and others are in the process of being updated. We are in dire need of an IPF just to stay up with conference mates, that is being worked on. I swear some of you guys think that just because one super negative poster has been banned, you guys have to pile on in his absence. No one on this board has ever been an athletic director, no one on this board has a clue what is going on behind the scenes of our athletic department. Chill the F out and let WB at least get his feet on the ground and running before we all pile on with the senseless bitching.

If you think comparing that a monstrous failure of a MBB coach still being allowed to fail again in his fifth (!) season is senseless bitching then I don't think we will be able to agree on much if anything. That's about as dumb of a statement one could make.

I'll refresh your memory. Benford's teams have never even reached .500 in a season against D1 competition. Benford lost 20 games twice in his first four years and is a virtual certainty to lost 20 plus again this season. No self respecting athletic department would allow a coach to coach his final contract season, much less tolerate losing 20+ three times in five seasons.

If WB needed a year to figure out Benford should be terminated then we've got the wrong guy.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Just now, Army of Dad said:

If you think comparing that a monstrous failure of a MBB coach still being allowed to fail again in his fifth (!) season is senseless bitching then I don't think we will be able to agree on much if anything. That's about as dumb of a statement one could make.

I'll refresh your memory. Benford's teams have never even reached .500 in a season against D1 competition. Benford lost 20 games twice in his first four years and is a virtual certainty to lost 20 plus again this season. No self respecting athletic department would allow a coach to coach his final contract season, much less tolerate losing 20+ three times in five seasons.

If WB needed a year to figure out Benford should be terminated then we've got the wrong guy.

So stating your opinion over and over on this message board helps WB make a decision? I think we all know TB is gone after a few more games, dont see the sense in continously bitching about him. And you are right, we probably won't agree on that if anything but I am fine with that too.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

Do you remember the report that came out shortly after he came on board? I don't think some of you guys realize what a shithole program RV left us in. Did you bother to ever head over to the tennis courts? I will be damned if they weren't in the worst playing condition than I have ever seen. That has been repaired. Did you see the piss poor condition various locker rooms were in? Most have been updated and others are in the process of being updated. We are in dire need of an IPF just to stay up with conference mates, that is being worked on. I swear some of you guys think that just because one super negative poster has been banned, you guys have to pile on in his absence. No one on this board has ever been an athletic director, no one on this board has a clue what is going on behind the scenes of our athletic department. Chill the F out and let WB at least get his feet on the ground and running before we all pile on with the senseless bitching.

THIS!!! I would give you more than one up vote if I could but ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

All these things you mentioned were the the result of RV. I still believe that WB has his hands tied because of all the payouts we're saddled with due to poor coaching hires. There are a lot of things that need fixing and waiting one more season with Benford may or may not be the biggest thing. When the BB season and tournament is done, I believe we'll find the right coach to right the ship and make us care again.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Greenrex said:

I had a nightmare the other night. Wren was really mad and yelling at everyone until he ate a Snickers and turned back into RV.

I really enjoyed this sir and yet chilling at the same time. I wish I could give you 100 +1s. :Bang:

7 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

Are you trying to be funny? It didn't work if you were.

Maybe for you, but this joke couldn't be more true for many of us. 

I wouldn't say I'm worried or nervous yet, I think its more Anxious.

While we have been waiting to hear about the IPF, I do think it will announced when they are a plan for upgrades/improvements to multiple facilities... Possible the IPF, track stadium, and whatever else that will be done over the next year or 2, with them possibly given us a location of next SuperPit(Then maybe they introduce designs when we get a new coach, but doubtful).

WB has given me hope as least, with the minor changes/upgrades that he has made from the survey at the SMU game. Just improving the experience of people being able to renew quickly and effortless goes along way, plus the shipping of the HoD to most everyone was effortless as well. Heck, WB/SL/ and NS brought back Beyond the Green as well. I do think this people like Mosley, Peek, and others that WB brought in we have do to review there staffs, to see who is a keep and isn't. I do think people will get phased out as more and more people come in. Also, the term Rome wasn't built in a day works here, WB I do agree came in at a terrible time because of the status of the AD office after RV. Yes, doing big things are flashy but just the minor changes should be noticed, and they were overlooked by RV. Heck, the girls soccer team 2 years ago field wasn't getting watered because of the cost..

The best experience for me was the Southern Miss game, when they gave out free tickets. I told my parents about it and they went online, and got 4 tickets for them and a family friends.. They had come up for the LAT game(and had a good time even though we got the L) , so they knew what to somewhat expect, but they had a great time this time around vs SM. Sitting in the endzone right behind up-rights in the front 2 or 3 rows was a great experience for my parents(it has lead them to sign up for the MGC just recently, actually) but with WB given out the free tickets, my parents went and spent more than the 10/12 bucks for tickets on food, and hot chocolate.

I do expect bigger things to be announced about the upcoming season, I'm just hoping they do it sooner rather than later. Maybe they are wanting to hold off and do it during the Spring practice/spring game to try and get more of a reaction?

• Upvote 2

Call me a cock-eyed optimist but I find it hard to believe that this fact-finding trip would be taken at this time unless there was some kind of financial impetus for the IPF in the works.  

Baker, Mosley and Smatresk have all been known for finding some donors in their time.  It would also not surprise me that the other two on the trips (Littrell and Peek?) might not have a connection also.  It used to be an unwritten code at UNT that a project was not to be publicized until at least 60% was funded.  

I believe that a state-of-the-art indoor practice facility would be second only to a vastly improved win record in gaining recruits in several sports.  Furthermore, I expect to see it completed in my lifetime.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Why do we need action for the sake of action? I like that Wren seems to be thoughtful in his approach. He is taking the time to evaluate the situation and identify the problems. Not based on a report, but based on what he sees. From there, he has to determine the right solution and the cost and then prioritize it against solving every other problem. That takes time. If we want the job done right, we need to be patient. Change for the sake of change is not the best approach if you want long term success. I believe that there have been many changes already made, but they aren't the kind that you are likely to see. If all you want is to see some changes so you can feel good, you are likely to be disappointed.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Why do we need action for the sake of action? I like that Wren seems to be thoughtful in his approach. He is taking the time to evaluate the situation and identify the problems. Not based on a report, but based on what he sees. From there, he has to determine the right solution and the cost and then prioritize it against solving every other problem. That takes time. If we want the job done right, we need to be patient. Change for the sake of change is not the best approach if you want long term success. I believe that there have been many changes already made, but they aren't the kind that you are likely to see. If all you want is to see some changes so you can feel good, you are likely to be disappointed.

I would have to agree with the assessment above. Many of you want quick fixes that take time to unfold. I understand our recent history of losing in the major sports. I also

understand the patience we have already shown. We have to give Wren the ample time to right the ship. RV did some good and a lot of damage to the program that happened over time. I hope we will be even more patient to give Wren the ample time to get the program where it has to be. If what I read is correct, it is not just the programs he has to correct. He has to change the whole structure of the administration from top to bottom. I don't think we all realize how out of whack our program was under RV. This takes times, so give Wren the latitude and time to get us on a level playing field. Many changes we don't even see from a spectator position. The program is now in capable hands. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, djohnnie said:

I would have to agree with the assessment above. Many of you want quick fixes that take time to unfold. I understand our recent history of losing in the major sports. I also

understand the patience we have already shown. We have to give Wren the ample time to right the ship. RV did some good and a lot of damage to the program that happened over time. I hope we will be even more patient to give Wren the ample time to get the program where it has to be. If what I read is correct, it is not just the programs he has to correct. He has to change the whole structure of the administration from top to bottom. I don't think we all realize how out of whack our program was under RV. This takes times, so give Wren the latitude and time to get us on a level playing field. Many changes we don't even see from a spectator position. The program is now in capable hands. 

Not sure that we should give Wren too long a leash, but 6 months is not enough time for him to make sweeping changes. By August, when he has been here for a year, I think we can look and see the direction and see how feel. Not that it would be the time to call for his head, but I think that is an appropriate time to evaluate where we are and the direction of the program under his leadership.

I tend to agree on the fact that Baker just needs time to fix so much that RV and the university's leadership allowed to happen for so long.

What folks don't know is if anything can really be done to fix the main issue that is the root of the problem. Apathy. You will never make any leaps in fundraising or increased revenues if your two major sports, football and mens hoops, play in front of crowds that average somewhere between 20-50% of capacity over a full season.

It will take winning and laying out cash to pay for good coaches, while also laying out cash to replace bad coaches. The last part is where we have traditionally not gone, until we bought off McCarney and RV. If we are ever going to make money from winning at sports, it will be because the university's leadership takes this view at all times going forward. But the problem, of course, is that the strong majority of UNT students, alumni, faculty, and administration don't care enough about it or absolutely loather the existence of our sports teams. I just don't know if the leadership here has the collective cojones to buck the system they are a part of and were put in place to make sure that athletics doesn't ever take a bigger role here. I know the Chancellor doesn't. But I don't know if the BOR or the rest of the administration does in enough people to make a difference.

• Upvote 1

With a school of our size, if I were Wren I would be figuring out how to engage X% of graduating students into athletics on a consistent basis.  Getting even just 5-10% of them (year after year) to be donors, MGC members, season ticket holders, etc....the yearly cycle would provide an immediate growing pool of resource$ that would give him more to work with.  I don't know, maybe 5-10% is too low?

The lack of alumni involvement (specifically, contributions) under RV is embarrassing.  At the same time, I am grateful for the small few who have stepped up to keep this afloat...even if barely.