I need to be talked off the ledge....

meanrob

Almost six months in and nothing much has come out of the athletic department. I don't get it. How does an AD take over right after a scathing report detailing the problems with program and then basically stay in the shadows. Post-report was the WORST time to project business as usual. Can't you put your stamp on SOMETHING in six months? 

Frustrated. 

• Upvote 14
  • Downvote 13

1 minute ago, meanrob said:

Almost six months in and nothing much has come out of the athletic department. I don't get it. How does an AD take over right after a scathing report detailing the problems with program and then basically stay in the shadows. Post-report was the WORST time to project business as usual. Can't you put your stamp on SOMETHING in six months? 

Frustrated. 

he did get a home and home with tech but i might be worm food before then.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Frustrated. 

Considering he came in right before the beginning of the new fiscal year (Sept 1 to Aug 31) there's only so much maneuvering Wren can do with the budget. That right there limits him on being able to make a "splash" impact. There are some small changes that have been made. I expect more changes with the start of the next football season.

You might see about scheduling a phone call or a meeting with Wren to see if anything has been done in regards to the report since it was released.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

Frustrated. 

I hear ya.. There's a sense of nervousness growing among a lot of folks.  Hopefully things start to move very soon.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

27 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

At the men's game on Thursday I was approached by the head of concessions.  He introduced himself and, unsolicited, asked me to notify him if there was anything that could be improved...food or service.  

That isn't big like breaking ground on a baseball stadium, but it's a clear indication that this new regime wants to listen.  I have seen multiple small steps just like this.  I truly believe that Wren understands the things that RV never could, namely that athletic events are an EXPERIENCE.  Winning and losing makes all the difference in the world to the die hards, but everyone who buys a ticket wants a good experience.  It's why people like Mark Cuban (even when Dallas wasn't very good) pumped games full of giveaways, contests and entertainment...until you're winning sell the experience, after you're winning sell the team.

The early days of the Cuban regime is exactly what made me think of this. They had a bad product but did crazy marketing and jacked up the game day experience. With a bad team I was hoping the AD would throw a lot of promotions out there to see what might stick. You can be creative without spending a lot of money. I'm out of state so I don't see all the little things but after the staledom of the RV years I was hoping for more this year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

At the men's game on Thursday I was approached by the head of concessions.  He introduced himself and, unsolicited, asked me to notify him if there was anything that could be improved...food or service.  

That isn't big like breaking ground on a baseball stadium, but it's a clear indication that this new regime wants to listen.  I have seen multiple small steps just like this.  I truly believe that Wren understands the things that RV never could, namely that athletic events are an EXPERIENCE.  Winning and losing makes all the difference in the world to the die hards, but everyone who buys a ticket wants a good experience.  It's why people like Mark Cuban (even when Dallas wasn't very good) pumped games full of giveaways, contests and entertainment...until you're winning sell the experience, after you're winning sell the team.

This

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, meanrob said:

Frustrated. 

Uhhhhhh....excuse me... don't forget about the fan survey. It was an excellent survey. ?

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

This is North Texas, and the athletic department actually "selling the experience" ends at that elevator down to where the commoners sit. There just has not been enough entertainment value to offset the costs and hassles of game days, and many fans stopped attending after the first season at Apogee.

The really sad part is that there are so many thousand fans that just keep looking for any reason to be enthusiastic about North Texas but can't ever find one. North Texas has 3 NCAA postseason victories in all spectator sports combined, in its 127 year history. That's an abysmal lack of success. Most colleges get more than that in any given year.

Wren Baker has a chance, one chance, to show potential fans that he's really trying to change things. If average sports fans have to ask "who's that?" when the new basketball coach is announced, then he has failed. Anything but a splash hire will be viewed as typical North Texas business as usual.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

The more things change the more things stay the same is the feeling. I need the AD to start showing results, whether cleaning house or firing shity coaches where they stand. 

He said he give the man what he needed to be successful and evaluate after seasons end... he's keeping his word.  If he fired him early we would have dozens of fans calling him a liar and whatever else.  Give the man a chance to be a man of his word. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

In defense of Baker, there is not magically more money to spend just because NT changed AD's.  According to the consultant reports, NT was not even keeping up with basic maintenance and providing necessary equipment to all its participants.  That a huge hole, to dig yourself out of.  

I assume those basic shortages have for the most part been addressed, and those are things that the average fan will not be aware of.    Plus NT is still paying off RV and McCarney, not minor sums for a program like NT.  

Frankly, I am surprised at Baker being so public with talk about a new indoor practice facility and even speculation on a new BB arena.  Those are huge goals for NT.  Of course at this time in RV's career he was talking about raising over $90m for athletic facilities.  

Baker has not made a real splash yet, and is being severely criticized by some for his handling of Benford.  Baker has spend a lot of money expanding staff and hopefully he now has the foundation to start raising funds because that is his key to being successful.    

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

He said he give the man what he needed to be successful and evaluate after seasons end... he's keeping his word.  If he fired him early we would have dozens of fans calling him a liar and whatever else.  Give the man a chance to be a man of his word. 

It was foolish thing to say then and looks more foolish now. 

Not a good early indicator...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 13

2 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

It was foolish thing to say then and looks more foolish now. 

Not a good early indicator...

Some of you need to be patient. Another week or two isn't that big of a deal. It is easy to look from the outside in and pass judgement.  The man hasn't been here a year and took over a giant mess that had been neglected for years. He isn't even in to a new new budget year yet. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Some of you need to be patient. Another week or two isn't that big of a deal. It is easy to look from the outside in and pass judgement.  The man hasn't been here a year and took over a giant mess that had been neglected for years. He isn't even in to a new new budget year yet. 

The time for patience has passed. UNT needs a AD that delivers some action. 

As for the budget, that didn't stop him from addin several high level positions and basically make no other changes so that's a specious argument.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

That snickers almost made me spit out my  cocktail.  Too funny.

ootics are important and to Emmitts point small changes are a good sign.  To me he has to hit a home run with the basketball coach.  Today I watched Arizona and wAshington followed Baylor and Kansas - didn't even check if we played.  I saw la tech was blowing out someone and middle appears to be good.  So you have diehard checked out after December 26 for almost 8 months.  Can't run a business like that especially when all the diehard wants to do is throw money at you.  

Go get a proven coach who can build the program back and help build the new arena.  Does the SFA coach have any intrigue?  They appear a bit down.  Go get the uta coach so we can hopefully be as good as uta one day.  Dang that is hard to say.  

Wren optics matter.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

The time for patience has passed. UNT needs a AD that delivers some action. 

As for the budget, that didn't stop him from addin several high level positions and basically make no other changes so that's a specious argument.

Do you remember the report that came out shortly after he came on board? I don't think some of you guys realize what a shithole program RV left us in. Did you bother to ever head over to the tennis courts? I will be damned if they weren't in the worst playing condition than I have ever seen. That has been repaired. Did you see the piss poor condition various locker rooms were in? Most have been updated and others are in the process of being updated. We are in dire need of an IPF just to stay up with conference mates, that is being worked on. I swear some of you guys think that just because one super negative poster has been banned, you guys have to pile on in his absence. No one on this board has ever been an athletic director, no one on this board has a clue what is going on behind the scenes of our athletic department. Chill the F out and let WB at least get his feet on the ground and running before we all pile on with the senseless bitching.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4