'18 WR Nikia Jones (Wagoner, OK)

GMG24

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4781172/nikia-jones

http://247sports.com/Player/Nikia-Jones-94517  Rated a 3 star by 247 

He tweeted he got his first offer back in May from Kansas and did not post anything other than a UNT offer from us yesterday.  Interesting 

• Upvote 4

• 11 months later...
12 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I thought at the time those blue shirts were dumb, and a year of maturation and I still think they are dumb. 

Agree, If they are such a borderline prospect to start with that you are blue shirting them, then the odds of them contributing are low.

and with 19 signed, a couple of those being jucos who enrolled early and possibly count to last years class, I don’t see why we wouldn’t have room for someone like this

42 minutes ago, H-towngreen said:

Agree, If they are such a borderline prospect to start with that you are blue shirting them, then the odds of them contributing are low.

and with 19 signed, a couple of those being jucos who enrolled early and possibly count to last years class, I don’t see why we wouldn’t have room for someone like this

Blueshirts are for guys that you know you can land now that won't be there for you in the following class. Do these guys, the blueshirts from last year, really fall into that category? Were we 100% certain that there weren't going to be better options this year? If my memory serves me right, I believe those 6 blueshirts from last year had a total of 3 offers that weren't UNT. It's just frustrating to watch it unfold. I get trying to have your full 85, but I'd rather wait until we get some studs in here that are scholarship worthy than hurrying up and trying to fill slots like it appears what we have done. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Blueshirts are for guys that you know you can land now that won't be there for you in the following class. Do these guys, the blueshirts from last year, really fall into that category? Were we 100% certain that there weren't going to be better options this year? If my memory serves me right, I believe those 6 blueshirts from last year had a total of 3 offers that weren't UNT. It's just frustrating to watch it unfold. I get trying to have your full 85, but I'd rather wait until we get some studs in here that are scholarship worthy than hurrying up and trying to fill slots like it appears what we have done. 

We would have had to have used more offers on OL prospects (because the blueshirts from last season were overwhelmingly OL), and may have missed out on some of these stud Defensive Secondary guys we landed.  Most-likely wouldn't have had room for Morris late. 
It appears OL is the position Littrell wants to use blueshirts on, as our blueshirts this year are OL again.   I think he thinks he can get them in and develop them.   
I suppose we'll see.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I agreed with you at the time we blueshirted these guys but now I don't mind the decision. When SL took over we needed immediate contributors and depth. Ultimately, the guys blueshirted last year will be here 1 year less than the guys who would have signed this year. In the grand scheme of things I don't think it's that big of a deal. We were in a bad place and now we're not. Blue shirting speeded up the process of becoming competitive since we picked up several Jucos who ended up contributing these past 2 years. I would rather not blue shirt 6 guys per class though so hopefully moving forward we blue shirt less and less every class so that we can slow build towards regularly having the maximum 25 slots available during recruiting cycles.

If it weren't for blue shirts, we would might still be a below .500 team due to the lack of depth. After seeing SL work magic his first 2 years here, I would think people would be a little less critical of his tactics until proven otherwise. I guess some will always complain.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I agreed with you at the time we blueshirted these guys but now I don't mind the decision. When SL took over we needed immediate contributors and depth. Ultimately, the guys blueshirted last year will be here 1 year less than the guys who would have signed this year. In the grand scheme of things I don't think it's that big of a deal. We were in a bad place and now we're not. Blue shirting speeded up the process of becoming competitive since we picked up several Jucos who ended up contributing these past 2 years. I would rather not blue shirt 6 guys per class though so hopefully moving forward we blue shirt less and less every class so that we can slow build towards regularly having the maximum 25 slots available during recruiting cycles.

If it weren't for blue shirts, we would might still be a below .500 team due to the lack of depth. After seeing SL work magic his first 2 years here, I would think people would be a little less critical of his tactics until proven otherwise. I guess some will always complain.

Agreed 100%

• Upvote 1

I'll admit that I'm ignorant when it comes to blueshirts but it is a new thing and maybe others are too.  But, it is my understanding that you can't blueshirt a recruit that you offered.  I'm pretty sure that we offered Jones although that offer may have been withdrawn after Ogunmakin accepted.

I know that we have very good receivers on the squad now but this guy is apparently in the Guyton class and if we can blueshirt him I hope that we can jump on this assuming he's willing and eligible.  

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

I'll admit that I'm ignorant when it comes to blueshirts but it is a new thing and maybe others are too.  But, it is my understanding that you can't blueshirt a recruit that you offered.  I'm pretty sure that we offered Jones although that offer may have been withdrawn after Ogunmakin accepted.

I know that we have very good receivers on the squad now but this guy is apparently in the Guyton class and if we can blueshirt him I hope that we can jump on this assuming he's willing and eligible.  

Then offer him a PWO, and then give him a scholarship once the season starts..

33 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

North Texas contacted him monday. It sounds like to me the high school coach is pushing him to go P5. This is very common.

It’s tragic that some of these HS coaches let their egos get in the way of these young men making the best decision for their own future. That coach hung this kid out to dry waiting for an offer that never came. Oh well, if he has to go P5, he will likely enjoy a year at juco first.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

It’s tragic that some of these HS coaches let their egos get in the way of these young men making the best decision for their own future. That coach hung this kid out to dry waiting for an offer that never came. Oh well, if he has to go P5, he will likely enjoy a year at juco first.

Exactly. If that is the case, the coach is doing a real disservice to his athlete. It's really sad how many high school coaches don't know the recruiting process, and/or don't understand college football (i.e. Refer to G5 schools as Division II, which I have seen numerous times) yet are in a position where the athletes and parents usually know less and look to the coach to guide them in the process.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Exactly. If that is the case, the coach is doing a real disservice to his athlete. It's really sad how many high school coaches don't know the recruiting process, and/or don't understand college football (i.e. Refer to G5 schools as Division II, which I have seen numerous times) yet are in a position where the athletes and parents usually know less and look to the coach to guide them in the process.

I've never considered this before.

2_Zang_Excellent.gif