Mark Gottfried fired at NC State, will finish season

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

I think firing someone and letting them continue doing their job is a bad move.  What incentive is there to do good work when at the end of the day (season) you're out of a job.  This is what was done with Darrell Dickey and the black jersey game is how that was rewarded.   Either keep a person or coach employed 100% or let them go 100%. 

GO MEAN GREEN

99% of the time I would agree with your statement...I think this specific case is an exception. Look at this guy's body of work, and they want to lynch him because he's only one game above .500 this season and has lost three blowouts in a row. There must be a reason for that, and I tend to think it isn't the coach. It was probably the rivalry game loss to North Carolina that enraged their version of "the 17" to call for his head. JMO.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Like I said, I would kill for a better winning record than JJ.

Gottfried's murder-worthy record at NC State (6 seasons): .598

JJ's inferior record over his last 6 years at North Texas: .651

If you were looking to kill to get Gottfried's record here, you should have murdered JJ and the rest of the team right before Tony Mitchell got eligible. If we'd had to forefeit all those games he played, we'd have exactly the same win percentage. 

17 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Gottfried's murder-worthy record at NC State (6 seasons): .598

JJ's inferior record over his last 6 years at North Texas: .651

If you were looking to kill to get Gottfried's record here, you should have murdered JJ and the rest of the team right before Tony Mitchell got eligible. If we'd had to forefeit all those games he played, we'd have exactly the same win percentage. 

ajnh5e19olg6dgier2na3tnt3.316x235x89.gif

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

But would you take a bullet for it.

I already took a bullet for UNT when I bought Club Seats at Apogee 5+ years ago.  What do you want, blood?

36 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Someday, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day.

Cheap imitator!  But funny.  I gave you a +1.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I would kill for that kind of record at NT.

How bout 4 trips to the NCAA in the first five years.

Three trips to the round of 32.

Two to the Sweet 16.

And when it started to go bad he still got 3 wins over ranked teams.

And even still  during this wheels-off season they have a win over #17 Duke.

Oh yeah...and he's 2-0 against LSU.

http://gopack.com/coaches.aspx?rc=298

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, EagleMBA said:

I caution you not to put much stock into anything Calipari says that might be construed as advice on doing the right thing.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I caution you not to put much stock into anything Calipari says that might be construed as advice on doing the right thing.

Agree. I just wanted to share where he was coming from by airing his f'n opinion. One of the commentors below that article takes a good shot at JJ, btw.

• Upvote 1

I'm excited to see how NT can come up with the money to get a BB coach in there who could really make a difference. Hiring back coach Jones would not get me excited; though I do appreciate what he did for NT. I would actually like to see NT win an NCAA tournament game. I don't know about NC State's coach. It would be a difficult decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2