UTEP (2/16/17)

Army of Dad

10 minutes ago, outoftown said:

This game again shows, that there is talent and the team isn-t actually as bad as the record. If it had a coach that knew how to teach it how to finish, win in tight situations and close out teams, it could actually have a decentish record.

Free throws...43%...f$&@ s*#& damn

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, THOR said:

Free throws...43%...f$&@ s*#& damn

Agree, that is a huge part of learning how to close out games, and 43% is just ridiculous.

Women win. That is a monkey of the back: UNT womens BBall had never won in El Paso before.

Now on a 4 game win streak. Schedule toughens from here on out again. UTSA on saturday might still be doable though.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

Mr, Baker i know you are evaluating the basketball program and are a busy guy.  However, if you want to see the fans evaluation of the basketball program look up into the seats.  No one is there so you may want to add that to your notes.  They have already made their evaluation. I would be embarrassed to have so few people at the game.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 4

Benford will be gone after his contract expires, I don't see why so many feel it is necessary to belittle the team at this point.   I saw a hard fought game that was lost in ot.  Benford didn't have a lot of choice, but he played the game mostly with 5 players.    They played well at both ends of the court, but didn't have enough to win the game at the end. 

The freshmen guards really got a lot of attention by the tv announcing crew.   An off game by Reese, NT most reliable player really doomed the team late in the game.   Green and Woolridge probably both had their best games of the year.   

It really makes little difference what happens in the remainder of the season.  However, this team has not quit despite the circumstances.   

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, Boca_Nasty_96 said:

Why was the UTEP crowd louder than our crowd that really pissed me today

Because North Texas has given our fans almost no reason to cheer for about five seasons now. This is yet another consequence of allowing a failed coach to remain in place.

7 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Did they report 3790 in attendance?

Did they? I don't think it was that much but with the little dribblers and UTEP's fans it's possible that isn't a gross over counting.

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Benford will be gone after his contract expires, I don't see why so many feel it is necessary to belittle the team at this point.

Will he? The Wren is still dithering and will not do more than evaluate so...

I haven't belittled the team, but just look at their record. They are an awful team. I think it's more likely that it's more on their coach, but they are likely to finish with a worse record than Benford's first team with an NBA draft pick on that roster. It's probably fair to say they are the worst team of the Benford era. That's an ugly distinction.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

did 600 of them leave after halftime.

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I saw a hard fought game that was lost in ot.  Benford didn't have a lot of choice, but he played the game mostly with 5 players.    They played well at both ends of the court, but didn't have enough to win the game at the end. 

The freshmen guards really got a lot of attention by the tv announcing crew.   An off game by Reese, NT most reliable player really doomed the team late in the game.   Green and Woolridge probably both had their best games of the year.   

It really makes little difference what happens in the remainder of the season.  However, this team has not quit despite the circumstances.   

Tony is that you?  Kidding i know what your saying but he dragging the support down and will take a couple of winning seasons to get people back.  I am afraid he has done more harm than good to the program.

19 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Box score reports 2,672

That seems about right.  In spite of a poor record, attendance, while not anywhere near where it should be and lacking any real "Pit Crew" attendance, has been surprisingly decent the last few games.  And, as Army of Dad stated, the Little Dribblers were in attendance as were a few UTEP fans.  I disagree that the UTEP fans were louder...the home crowed did its part owing to the state of the season.  Each "crowd" was loud at various times, but UTEP had less than 100 fans I would guess.  They, of course, were concentrated behind the UTEP bench.

And GrandGreen is right...this team has not quit on itself or its coaching staff.  This was a hard fought game on both ends of the floor by a depleted Mean Green team...no Combs, no Deckie, no Frazier, no Kahlid.....when players who can provide quality minutes as these can are sitting due to injury you play what you have and they play longer periods of time.  Lawson and Woolridge are the real deal as freshmen and can provide a basis for next season with Combs.  Reese did have a bit of an off night.

Thought the refs did a nice job of letting these teams play....except late when they refused to grant UNT two shots on, what was to me, an obvious shooting foul that could have won it in regulation, then in OT we were hit with an offensive foul that was an obvious foul on UTEP.  But, forget those two goofs by the refs, UNT just stayed outside late in the game and bombed away when earlier we were getting inside buckets.  Tired with such a limited bench?  Perhaps, but fundamentals did seem to be AWOL late.

Be that as it may, this was a really nice game to watch and the Mean Green played well before a decent crowd. Hopefully, they have something left in the tank for Saturday, but I am guessing that tired legs after the OT game and short bench might take its toll later in Saturday's game.

This might be a nice game for some of you that have been staying away from the Super Pit to come watch Saturday.  The game is welcoming back and honoring one of the Mean Green's best teams on its ten year NCAA anniversary.  Why not put aside your dislike for our HC and come help honor a bunch of guys you used to cheer on regularly and still mention here on a fairly regular basis?  Just think it over.  

Should be another decent crowd like the last few home games.  You will not be alone in the Super Pit among UTSA fans...the Mean Green will be there, but you could help.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

what does it matter anymore. WB wasted this year dithering and evaluating, might as let the dumpster fire finish off now, just do not complain when the crowds do not return for the next year even with a new coach. UNT Administration showed they were absolutely fine with letting Benford completely destroy MBB.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3