DRC source: Former Guyer, ASU WR has interest in UNT

Brett Vito

Only downside is we'd be using a scholarship on him, presumably our last of the 2017 class, and having to use another spot in the 2018 class to replace him. Or counting him towards the 2018 class and having to replace him in the same class.

With us already having 5 spots reserved in 2018 for blueshirts, roster management needs to be handled very carefully and precisely. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Is this similar to just wait until Coach (fill in the blank) gets his guys?

No.  It is a vain hope that someday we won't have to settle on table scraps, and that we'll have a coaching staff who understands pounding pavement, building relationships, and closing the damn deal.  I at least want a set of recruiting steak knives, dammit! 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wouldn't he have to sit a year?    Vito's comment, " Jefferson could move right in and give UNT another weapon. " indicates he would be immediately eligible...

Graduate transfers are immediately eligible upon transferring between D1 programs. Just like we saw Alec transfer in from Bama last year. It's becoming a popular trend as of late. 

• Upvote 1

I do not see a downside to this.  If we have a scholly available, why not put it to use.  He may not have produced much at Az St., but have played in a big time program, developed big time program habits, and I bet would fight for any ball that gets anywhere near him...  Looks to have some size as well....  Anybody have a downside with this??

Just now, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I do not see a downside to this.  If we have a scholly available, why not put it to use.  He may not have produced much at Az St., but have played in a big time program, developed big time program habits, and I bet would fight for any ball that gets anywhere near him...  Looks to have some size as well....  Anybody have a downside with this??

Plus, as somebody said....if his brother is a talent at RB, this may give us inside track to local talent.  Bringing in more fans as well....

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Plus, as somebody said....if his brother is a talent at RB, this may give us inside track to local talent.  Bringing in more fans as well....

Exactly what I am thinking.  If this kid can get us another win or give the team a chance to get another win why would we not spend a scholarship on a WR.  I don't know about yall but that seems to be a spot we could use the depth and bodies.

Not only does it help with local talent but it also suffices the crowd wanting to "fill apogee" he is from Guyer his family and friends that were not as fortunate enough to go to college would be able to attend games.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

The statistical evidence does not support this.    If he can't do this at AZ St. (which, under Graham/Norvell, I would consider a pretty pass-happy offense), just showing up at UNT and expecting his production to blow up is not a safe assumption. 
Maybe coming back home could jump-start him with a fresh start with family supporting him at every game, and he could be all-conference!  Who knows?

But, if Littrell/Harrell thinks he can help win this year, then get him on the field and don't worry about the scholarship.

• Upvote 7

As I stated a few weeks ago, this is the strategy that Littrell has to follow now. It is exactly what Johnny Jones did in hoops--he got a transfer from ASU if I remember correctly. Until you can build up any kind of recruiting pipeline with TX HS coaches and parents, you are going have to develop the players you are able to get here and bring in as many transfers that you can. As Johnny Jones proved, once you can build a winner with this approach, the recruiting pipeline here will loosen up and coaches and parents will look at us more seriously. Otherwise, its the same old thing we have been dealing with since we moved back up in 1995.

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

As I stated a few weeks ago, this is the strategy that Littrell has to follow now. It is exactly what Johnny Jones did in hoops--he got a transfer from ASU if I remember correctly. Until you can build up any kind of recruiting pipeline with TX HS coaches and parents, you are going have to develop the players you are able to get here and bring in as many transfers that you can. As Johnny Jones proved, once you can build a winner with this approach, the recruiting pipeline here will loosen up and coaches and parents will look at us more seriously. Otherwise, its the same old thing we have been dealing with since we moved back up in 1995.

That JJ ASU transfer wasn't a one year guy though and JJ didn't have the signing class size issue SL has to worry about.

• Upvote 1

I hope this works out for all involved but I would suggest we set up a process to evaluate each opportunity that arises based on its merits.  What I don't want to see is UNT become a easy scholarship continuation subsidy for those who couldn't make things work at their original choice.  If they can provide us value and have a burning desire to compete we should welcome them with open arms.  I agree with UNT Jim that this is a no brainer strategy for UNT and should be a great way to accumulate talent into the program.  I just want to be careful that this is in the best interest of our program.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I hope this works out for all involved but I would suggest we set up a process to evaluate each opportunity that arises based on its merits.  What I don't want to see is UNT become a easy scholarship continuation subsidy for those who couldn't make things work at their original choice.  If they can provide us value and have a burning desire to compete we should welcome them with open arms.  I agree with UNT Jim that this is a no brainer strategy for UNT and should be a great way to accumulate talent into the program.  I just want to be careful that this is in the best interest of our program.

Exactly. We need to not foster a feeling of.... "oh such and such is from a P5 thus he must be better than our current players".   We have seen time and time again that this isn't true on almost all levels. 

I don't see the problem with this at all!  In fact I am a bit excited about this development and hope he can get onto campus!  

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/125421/ellis-jefferson

The kid has great size, 6'4", and speed, 4.5 40 coming out of high school (as a 3* recruit) and was noted for his hands and ability to catch in traffic.    Both things that we need.  He was highly recruited, even UNT offered him! He has shown that he can finish what he started by graduated college in a respectable amount of time, and his leadership and example could be good for the youngsters and the rest of the team.

We don't exactly have a slew of experienced receivers on this team and I don't see where people can think that something like this is a bad thing.   We constantly bitch about the city not supporting the team and then when something like this shows up we find a way to make it a bad thing... How do we do that!!!???  Talented player, local product with family friends and fans in the city....  He has the potential to bring the local crowd to Apogee exposing our product to new people who have ignored us.    what is there to bitch about?!?!?!?   He even has a highly talented brother coming down the pipe!   All things that we should be excited about, all things that we have been clamoring for!

Ye, somehow we find a way to make this a bad thing...   unbelievable.

I for one say bring him on!

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 4

Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind I seem to recall that graduate transfers like this count as one of your allowed 85 scholarships but do not count as one of the 25 scholarships that you are allowed in any one given year.   Some of you other fellows keep up with this a lot closer than I do.   Please correct me if I am wrong.     If that is the case, it sure makes a decision on this player a lot easier.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agree Harry.
Let's not forget the last two "big time" WR transfers from P5 schools that came to UNT:
Tyler Stradford - borderline contributor at best, who wound up impaling himself on a fence trying to escape from a dog. 
Darius Terrell - borderline contributor at best.
Transferring from a P5 school does not make one a game-changer at UNT.   

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agree Harry.
Let's not forget the last two "big time" WR transfers from P5 schools that came to UNT:
Tyler Stradford - borderline contributor at best, who wound up impaling himself on a fence trying to escape from a dog. 

Well of course that means this will end up the same way!!!!!!!

btw....   were either of those graduate transfers?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agree Harry.

Fair enough, but I be willing to bet that both of those guys were still superior to the other receivers we had or they wouldn't have played. That's the problem--we can't get enough decent talent here to develop into big time players for our level of play, so we get these transfers from P5s that want to play or get back closer to home and we get whatever we get from them, good or bad. But they get to play because their developed talent is better than what we have on the roster in the eyes of the coaches here.

That's the result of never getting decent recruiting classes every year. Until that changes, we are very wise to take in anyone who can come here and has more talent than what is on the roster, whether its a JUCO or a P5 transfer.

• Upvote 5

I would assume he is an X or Z receiver on the outside.  I assume our top 5/6 outside guys as of now include Guyton, Bussey, Smiley, McIntyre, Rutherford, and Wilson.  The question is whether or not Littrell believes this guy will step in an immediately crack the 2 deep.  Who is he going to beat out?  Last year at ASU he was playing behind a true freshman (albeit borderline 5 star recruit that led team in receptions and 2nd on team in yards).

He certainly has the size we need on the outside.  Not sure he has the elite speed that we need and lack of production is certainly a concern.  However, sometimes a change of scenery and mom's cooking can do a world of good.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, hickoryhouse said:

Well of course that means this will end up the same way!!!!!!!

btw....   were either of those graduate transfers?

Never guaranteed that.   But history is definitely on that side of the coin around here.  He's certainly not guaranteed to be a home run as your post indicates either.    And as for the idea that a former Guyer standout would instantly boost attendance & local interest, do you happen to remember Jamaine Wilhite playing here?   He was a stud RB for Guyer that did virtually nothing for NT on the gridiron, or in the stands.    I would put a lot more stock in Tyreke Davis' family/friends/fans making an impact than Jefferson.

I suppose you could argue that Jefferson being a graduate transfer with only 1 yr of eligibility is not as attractive as Stradford transferring in with 3 yrs of eligibility and Terrell with 2.   The only good thing that could come of him being a grad transfer instead of an undergrad transfer is maybe his leadership ability?  I do like that he graduated quickly and had an offer from Vanderbilt when he was coming out of HS.

None of this taking into account the fact that a 1-year player takes up one of your 25/yr scholarships to give out... which hurts future depth... which we're already doing by kicking the can with blueshirts.

Like I said, if the coaches think he can make a difference immediately, then you go sign him.