'18 ATH Antonio Gage (Dallas Madison)

UNTLifer

9 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Amazing how the handlers of these kids are so anti UNT. Kids make a decision and are immediately talked out of it. 

Littrell has a lot of work ahead of him to change people's mindset about playing football at UNT. 

IMHO - I hope people grasp the situation. We have years of "bad" history to overcome.I know people say that Fan sites do not influence kids, but things like this are why we should be careful how we comment on potential recruits. We don't need to do anything to slow down the building up of our program. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 7

45 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Hopefully our coaches develop a good relationship with him, and he stays committed.

He seems to have been recruited by Nate Brown and if the last few years have proven anything, is that he is one of the top recruiters on the staff.

Really excited for this kid. He can FLY

• Upvote 3

He may look elsewhere but in doing so I hope he'll come to be only more convinced that Denton is the perfect place for him to become another Carlos Henderson, Zay Jones, or Corey Davis - skill position players who found the right fit and made NFL draft waves by doing so.

As a general opinion regarding the tone taken in some of the posts in this thread - I think it serves the program better to avoid commenting negatively about elements of the recruiting process in a public forum.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

This is a rollercoaster. I'll be glad if someone of his talent ends up here, but this seems to be about enjoying recruitment not football at this point.

He SHOULD enjoy this.   It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have multiple schools court you for your abilities.  Why wouldn't you enjoy that if you're in his shoes?

14 hours ago, Green92 said:

I get really tired of the "hey, look at me" mentality of some of these kids. Part of growing up is getting over yourself. No one is all that. 

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This kid is tweeting every assistant of every D1 school asking them to follow him.  Either fully commit or get back in the game.  Headcase  

These are myopic viewpoints.   
If North Texas can't hang onto a guy when other schools come calling, then we need to do better at recruiting...   Not blame the player being recruited.  
Dumb.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If North Texas can't hang onto a guy when other schools come calling, then we need to do better at recruiting...   Not blame the player being recruited.  
Dumb.

It appears we did a very good job recruiting him and thus he committed to us.  It is one thing, in my humble opinion, to have schools continue to approach you about attending their school and totally another to court almost every D1 assistant coach to look at you.  In my mind, his commitment means nothing.  I prefer the young men, Bryce English for example, that commit to our school and then use their Twitter account to promote the school where they committed.

For comparison, I liken this to asking a girl to prom, she accepts, but then approaches every other guy in the school asking them to ask her. Show some character, commit or move along.  It is nice having him on board, but I am not counting on him being here in the end.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It appears we did a very good job recruiting him and thus he committed to us.  It is one thing, in my humble opinion, to have schools continue to approach you about attending their school and totally another to court almost every D1 assistant coach to look at you.  In my mind, his commitment means nothing.  I prefer the young men, Bryce English for example, that commit to our school and then use their Twitter account to promote the school where they committed.

For comparison, I liken this to asking a girl to prom, she accepts, but then approaches every other guy in the school asking them to ask her. Show some character, commit or move along.  It is nice having him on board, but I am not counting on him being here in the end.

Bryce English.  The guy who committed to KSSt first, right?

Look, you and Green92 are die-hard UNT fans.  You're looking at this through a UNT fan's eyes.  What about Mr. Gage?  Does he not have the opportunity to try and get a P5 school he WANTS to play for to bite?   Right now, it appears UNT is preferable to several P5 schools already.  It may stay that way... who knows?
Recruiting is a game played by all.  UNT needs to work hard to win the game with Mr. Gage (right now, it looks like we're winning).  He is free to play the game too.  As we're often told "Commitments are non-binding".  Nothing is set in stone until signing day.   Knocking a guy's character on a public forum for playing this game is likely not going to help win him over for UNT.

Mr. Gage, if you're reading, just know we're all a little biased here, and excited to have you on board.   Do what's best for you, but know you are not going to be disappointed if you sign with NT... not just on the gridiron, but in the classroom/campus life/etc...  It's a great school.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He SHOULD enjoy this.   It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have multiple schools court you for your abilities.  Why wouldn't you enjoy that if you're in his shoes?

Dumb.

We typically can't hang onto guys when other schools come calling. And we do need to get better at recruiting. Much, much better. No, like, way better. As for this kid reaching out to other coaches, that's not how this process is done. Especially when you're a "committed" recruit. He has plenty of offers and people are more than aware of him. I am sure he knows that. This seems more like a fishing trip for him, trying to haul in a big fish. With that mentality, I will be very surprised if he ends up at UNT. 

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Bryce English.  The guy who committed to KSSt first, right?

Yes, and the guy who promoted UNT once he transferred.  You know, he supported the school he committed to at that time.  He didn't announce his transfer and then call every other D1 school soliciting offers.  Big difference, at least in my mind.  Being a diehard fan has nothing to do with it.  Commit, honor that commitment, that is all I ask.  If you aren't ready then don't commit.  The definition of the word says it all for me.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yes, and the guy who promoted UNT once he transferred.  You know, he supported the school he committed to at that time.  He didn't announce his transfer and then call every other D1 school soliciting offers.  Big difference, at least in my mind.  Being a diehard fan has nothing to do with it.  Commit, honor that commitment, that is all I ask.  If you aren't ready then don't commit.  The definition of the word says it all for me.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2017/04/21/gage-cites-unts-location-potential-reasons-commitment

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2017/04/29/source-antonio-gage-still-committed-unt

"I feel good about the direction UNT is headed," Gage said. "We can turn it around. We are getting some big time recruits."

Sounds like Gage is "supporting the school he committed to"

• Upvote 1

English is one of the great things going to UNT. He is someone that alot of people know on campus because of how he promotes anything/everything UNT.

I hope that English is rewarded with a lot of success this season, and judging by the spring game he should be. English if he continues what he is doing, will be another solid product similar to Orr, Robertson, in terms of promoting UNT. (I'm not sure if Dunbar is doing it as much as Orr, Robertson)

Mr. English, thank you for the energy you have brought to UNT and Mr. English bring in Mr. Gage if you can as well. Also, Gage if you read this, Mr. English will make your day at DB a lot easier as well. 

• Upvote 2