'18 WR Jackson Gleeson (Mansfield)

GMG24

14 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I don't see a school on that list that should be preferable to North Texas

You gave me an idea -- we should put together a recruiting checklist.  Perhaps get some of the coaches on here to provide their input.  The challenge is there are so many factors involved but there are a few key ones in my mind.  Mind you this may not be in the right order! 

Winning (bowls, conference championships), Tradition/Reputation/Potential of school, P5 vs. G5 vs. FCS etc, Playing Time, Facilities (stadium/athletic center/dorms etc), High School Coach, Academics and academic support (respected program in interested major, plenty of resources and facilities for tutoring/academic program), Dollar Value of education ($ amount/equivalent tuition, books living expenses for that school), Family Connections (mother father were alum or letterman),  High school attending (some high schools favor certain types of colleges be it private schools etc, peer group pushes certain schools), teammates attending/pipeline high school that believes in the UNT program, Official visit (hotels, entertainment, player sponsors), Touches/Number of visits, phone calls, texts email from coaches,  Family needs that require them to be close to home or DFW. 

Feel free to add or subtract...

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sorry for the highjack but you gave me an idea -- we should put together a recruiting checklist.  Perhaps get some of the coaches on here to provide their input.  The challenge is there are so many factors involved but there are a few key ones in my mind.  Mind you this may not be in the right order! 

Winning (bowls, conference championships), Tradition/Reputation/Potential of school, P5 vs. G5 vs. FCS etc, Playing Time, Facilities (stadium/athletic center/dorms etc), High School Coach, Academics and academic support (respected program in interested major, plenty of resources and facilities for tutoring/academic program), Dollar Value of education ($ amount/equivalent tuition, books living expenses for that school), Family Connections (mother father were alum or letterman),  High school attending (some high schools favor certain types of colleges be it private schools etc, peer group pushes certain schools), teammates attending/pipeline high school that believes in the UNT program, Official visit (hotels, entertainment, player sponsors), Touches/Number of visits, phone calls, texts email from coaches,  Family needs that require them to be close to home or DFW. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

You gave me an idea -- we should put together a recruiting checklist.  Perhaps get some of the coaches on here to provide their input.  The challenge is there are so many factors involved but there are a few key ones in my mind.  Mind you this may not be in the right order! 

What would be done with said list?

When I would talk to a player of mine being recruited, I asked them a few things.  1) Do you like the school? 2) Do you like the coaches? 3) Do you think you will get a good education there?  If the answer to all 3 was yes, I would advise them not to look at the conference or the size of the school.  I would instead ask them if they were one of the top recruits or "one of the others".  Finally, I would advise to go where you will play the most.  That will make for the best experience.  If you are #20 on their list of 20, it is likely that you won't have the experience you want.  Go to the school where you are one of their top recruits instead.

Some listened, many didn't.  Stars in their eyes... and 18 years old.  At that age you know everything.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Compare and Contrast......Research

1 hour ago, Caw Caw said:

It will prevent the baseless we should be the world at recruiting and support pros and cons of our university vs others. Add some data to opinion.

What I mean is, with this list/data that we collect.. what is going to be done with it??? we send it to the coaches?? we going to tweet it at players?

47 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

When I would talk to a player of mine being recruited, I asked them a few things.  1) Do you like the school? 2) Do you like the coaches? 3) Do you think you will get a good education there?  If the answer to all 3 was yes, I would advise them not to look at the conference or the size of the school.  I would instead ask them if they were one of the top recruits or "one of the others".  Finally, I would advise to go where you will play the most.  That will make for the best experience.  If you are #20 on their list of 20, it is likely that you won't have the experience you want.  Go to the school where you are one of their top recruits instead.

Some listened, many didn't.  Stars in their eyes... and 18 years old.  At that age you know everything.

Agreed, if you want to go to the pro's most of the time its based on playing time, and what you have on tape.. Yes the conference or teams that you play against can matter, but the players don't get to pick who is on the sch... but you playing at any level and showing what you can do will get you noticed.

2 hours ago, UNT86 said:

Pretty much nailed it.  One thing I always add is would you like the school enough to stay should your position coach, coordinator or HC get fired.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

From an article on 247sports dated February 16th.  Starting to blow up:

"-Mansfield wide receiver Jackson Gleeson, who may be the fastest player in the state, has seen some big offers come his way. Baylor and Nebraska both threw their hats into the ring this week. The 6-foot, 165-pound junior did not see a ton of passes his way as Mansfield had four-star workhorse running back Kennedy Brooks, but he averaged 27 yards per reception in 2016."