Please please please

GMoney

Bumford is like a horror villain...every time I think he's gonna be dead and gone, you turn around and he's still there, providing more carnage in his path.

He will die, but I'm gonna jinx him and say he's not getting fired anytime soon. Maybe this will finally cause the forces of nature to catch up to him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

If it didn't happen after La Tech last weekend, it's not gonna happen 

I really don't understand all this angst.....and, I am speaking in generalities, not at any one post or poster.  Wren Baker told everyone when he would evaluate Coach Benford and that was after the end of the season.  So far, in things he has done since arriving, he has shown to be a man of his word.  So, it looks like the evaluation will come at the end of the season.  Is what it is no matter how one feels pro or con.  Both Wren Baker and our new COO, Jared Moseley, are "basketball guys".  They have experience and know the game and love the game.  I really think they will evaluate the season and the previous ones after the season concludes.  Whatever happens at that point will be up to the parties involved and will be, in the opinion of the said parties involved, in the best interest of the program at UNT.  We can relax and see how this pans out.  In the meantime, it would probably be a nice gesture to support the players and coaches.  No one likes to lose, no one gets used to losing and no one tries to create a losing program.  Tough for the Mean Green these days, but we can all remember when it was tough to support the football program through its losing period.  That seems to have turned around in most people's opinions.  The basketball program will as well.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Both Wren Baker and our new COO, Jared Moseley, are "basketball guys".  They have experience and know the game and love the game.  

Going to have to disagree here. If they know and love the game they wouldn't have Benford in charge.

4 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

We can relax and see how this pans out.  

No, we can't. 

7 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

In the meantime, it would probably be a nice gesture to support the players and coaches

Players yes. This staff hell no.

7 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

No one likes to lose, no one gets used to losing and no one tries to create a losing program.

I'm not so sure about this. I really feel that a not insignificant portion of this tiny little fan base is used to losing, and maybe even likes it. That way the club is so small and exclusive they feel ok. 

It is possible they weren't trying to create a losing program(but they've done a hell of a job). This school damn sure isn't trying to create a winning one since they kept Benford for 4+ seasons now.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

15 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I really don't understand all this angst.....and, I am speaking in generalities, not at any one post or poster.  Wren Baker told everyone when he would evaluate Coach Benford and that was after the end of the season.  So far, in things he has done since arriving, he has shown to be a man of his word.  So, it looks like the evaluation will come at the end of the season.  Is what it is no matter how one feels pro or con.  Both Wren Baker and our new COO, Jared Moseley, are "basketball guys".  They have experience and know the game and love the game.  I really think they will evaluate the season and the previous ones after the season concludes.  Whatever happens at that point will be up to the parties involved and will be, in the opinion of the said parties involved, in the best interest of the program at UNT.  We can relax and see how this pans out.  In the meantime, it would probably be a nice gesture to support the players and coaches.  No one likes to lose, no one gets used to losing and no one tries to create a losing program.  Tough for the Mean Green these days, but we can all remember when it was tough to support the football program through its losing period.  That seems to have turned around in most people's opinions.  The basketball program will as well.

best post I have seen in a long time.  Thanks @KRAM1 for a voice of reason.  Could not agree more....

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

19 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I'm not so sure about this. I really feel that a not insignificant portion of this tiny little fan base is used to losing, and maybe even likes it. That way the club is so small and exclusive they feel ok. 

I don't like losing.  I agitated that the previous AD needed to go a long time before most.  

I didn't think keeping TB this year would do anyone any good, and I think keeping him now is a mistake.  A pretty serious one.

However, there is a difference between a young new AD making a mistake, and judging him to be a failure or even deeply flawed off of that mistake.  People can't remove their viewpoint from the view WB has.  Do I think The Wren™ is making a mistake keeping TB?  Yes.  Do I think that makes him some sort of Nixon like monster?

AVIrcE5.gif

No.

11 hours ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

If it didn't happen after La Tech last weekend, it's not gonna happen 

Why was La Tech the magic day?

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I didn't think keeping TB this year would do anyone any good, and I think keeping him now is a mistake.  A pretty serious one.

How is this a serious mistake?  Not being smart, I am just genuinely curious as to the reasoning behind this point of view.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

How is this a serious mistake?  Not being smart, I am just genuinely curious as to the reasoning behind this point of view.

Cost/Benefit.

What is the benefit of keeping TB right now?  I honestly can't think of one.  I get that if he had been fired before the season the search would have been rushed, and we would be paying two salaries right now.  But now we owe him the full year either way, and you just have an assistant get a shot for the remainder of the year.  

Players know he is gone, it's just a matter of when.  The ones that would really transfer if we fire TB are gone either way.  I think if it was handled in a disrespectful manner (immediately after a game in front of players, for example) it would  hurt chances of keeping some players, so just do it the right way.  Players understand that coaches get fired.

What is the cost of keeping TB right now?  First, it is a huge signaling hit.   Fans know this is a dumpster fire.   If they read the lack of change a signal that the AD and the school don't really care about basketball, can you blame them?   Alumni who aren't fans, but do care about college sports, see the same thing.  It will cause us to lose diehards, and make it harder to attract those alumni who aren't fans.

Second. recruiting.  The sooner we can get a coach search going, and we can use a search company to get around the tampering rules, the sooner that coach we hire can start thinking about recruiting here and hit the recruiting trail for us.  

So in a nutshell, there is no benefit, there are real costs.   Why are we taking the cost hit for no possible benefit?

You honestly don't think WB has a list of coaches in mind already?  Who's to say he hasn't already contacted a search company and it is being kept quiet.  This season is done and the only viable option if Benford is let go now is to have one of the assistants, all with strong ties to Benford, fill in the interim.  This is a lost season due to RV bringing this failure back.  Baker has to fix it and I trust he will.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Just now, UNTLifer said:

You honestly don't think WB has a list of coaches in mind already?  Who's to say he hasn't already contacted a search company and it is being kept quiet.  This season is done and the only viable option if Benford is let go now is to have one of the assistants, all with strong ties to Benford, fill in the interim.  This is a lost season due to RV bringing this failure back.  Baker has to fix it and I trust he will.

We saw last night where the team is still fighting to win games. I think letting Benford go before the end of the season and we'll see even worse losses. With Benford I feel it can't get any worse. Without Benford I feel it can.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Cost/Benefit.

What is the benefit of keeping TB right now?  I honestly can't think of one.  I get that if he had been fired before the season the search would have been rushed, and we would be paying two salaries right now.  But now we owe him the full year either way, and you just have an assistant get a shot for the remainder of the year.  

Players know he is gone, it's just a matter of when.  The ones that would really transfer if we fire TB are gone either way.  I think if it was handled in a disrespectful manner (immediately after a game in front of players, for example) it would  hurt chances of keeping some players, so just do it the right way.  Players understand that coaches get fired.

What is the cost of keeping TB right now?  First, it is a huge signaling hit.   Fans know this is a dumpster fire.   If they read the lack of change a signal that the AD and the school don't really care about basketball, can you blame them?   Alumni who aren't fans, but do care about college sports, see the same thing.  It will cause us to lose diehards, and make it harder to attract those alumni who aren't fans.

Second. recruiting.  The sooner we can get a coach search going, and we can use a search company to get around the tampering rules, the sooner that coach we hire can start thinking about recruiting here and hit the recruiting trail for us.  

So in a nutshell, there is no benefit, there are real costs.   Why are we taking the cost hit for no possible benefit?

do we know if we have already started a coaching search on our own or with a firm?  If we have, would that change your mind?  Just as we, the fans, our players, so do candidates for this position know the TB is out after this season.  We may be making a fuss over something that is already taking place....  I say let's let the man hired to do this, do his job and we grade him on results...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It's generally thought as poor form to be engaged in a search with a coach still under contract. If WB is doing that then it's yet another mistake.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

do we know if we have already started a coaching search on our own or with a firm?  If we have, would that change your mind?  Just as we, the fans, our players, so do candidates for this position know the TB is out after this season.  We may be making a fuss over something that is already taking place....  I say let's let the man hired to do this, do his job and we grade him on results...

It would be another strike against WB for me. 

Do it the right way. Fire the mega loser coach. Search for a new one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

We saw last night where the team is still fighting to win games. I think letting Benford go before the end of the season and we'll see even worse losses. With Benford I feel it can't get any worse. Without Benford I feel it can.

So we'll lose by 20 instead of 5?  What is the benefit of that?  Again, against the real cost of signaling to your fans and possible fans that this sort of losing is acceptable at North Texas.

6 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

We disagree. I saw a widespread lack of effort for the first 4 minutes last night. I do not think that changed because Benford, but rather a few players stepped up and changed it. 

Do you feel that Charlotte's droughts were a result of our defense or their self inflicted errors(like Jackson dribbling off his foot with little pressure, multiple traveling calls, and just missing shots where they had good looks)? I may have tipped my hand, but I don't think we forced them to do those things.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

So we'll lose by 20 instead of 5?  What is the benefit of that?  Again, against the real cost of signaling to your fans and possible fans that this sort of losing is acceptable at North Texas.

Or 40+. Marshall has the number one offense in the conference and I feel they'll string at least 100 on us.

I just see where we start blowing holes in the bottom of an already sinking ship if we let Benford go too early. We could have less than 100 fans in the stands if the losses really get bad come Southern Miss on 2/25 (final home game and Senior day).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

We're going to have terrible attendance anyway.    Possibly selling at most what, 2000 extra tickets, isn't worth the signalling hit to your fanbase.

And that's assuming the team will tank.  For all we know they might get energized by upcoming change, especially if The Wren™ goes in and tells them that:

• they are important
  • they will be part of the process
  • this is being done because of how highly the University values the program
  • the University is going to invest more than ever before in the program

So in the end the might get more wins and sell more tickets.  

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

We're going to have terrible attendance anyway.    Possibly selling at most what, 2000 extra tickets, isn't worth the signalling hit to your fanbase.

And that's assuming the team will tank.  For all we know they might get energized by upcoming change, especially if The Wren™ goes in and tells them that:

• they are important
  • they will be part of the process
  • this is being done because of how highly the University values the program
  • the University is going to invest more than ever before in the program

So in the end the might get more wins and sell more tickets.  

People might come to one or at best two games after Benford is let go but if the team gives up and we're constantly getting beat by 20+ against the bottom half of the conference, I still think we'll only have 100 or so show up for the final home game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2