'17 DE/TE Dion Novil (Abilene Wylie) [LOI: NT]

24 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Going to a school that is religion based in it's teachings, policies, hiring, messaging, etc is much different than going to a public university that has some churches around it.  Is there a public school in the country that doesn't have churches around it?  

The starting QB on my HS football team turned down a 1A offer to attend a 1AA religious school.  He is a very religious person, and he now is a pastor and a fb coach at another religious school.   He doesn't regret his choice.  

I have no idea if this is the case with this recruit, I am just saying an offer to a religious school might carry a lot of weight with certain recruits and family. 

Sure.   I just hope that's not the hold-up here.  
I'm a product of a Dr. Zimmerman-led Biology department at UNT... extremely hostile to the idea of a Creator. 
I'm also a Christian who went to (and still go to) church in Denton and joined a Christian student organization while on campus.  

If this is the case and Mr Novil is reading this, I say: You gotta be salt & light brother.  Don't shelter yourself.   Can't fault you for wanting to stay close to home if that's what it comes down to, but I will say I met my lovely wife at UNT, and she is an alum of your high school.   Good things happening in Denton!

• Upvote 6

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm a product of a Dr. Zimmerman-led Biology department at UNT... extremely hostile to the idea of a Creator. 
I'm also a Christian who went to (and still go to) church in Denton and joined a Christian student organization while on campus.  

If this is the case and Mr Novil is reading this, I say: You gotta be salt & light brother.  Don't shelter yourself.   Can't fault you for wanting to stay close to home if that's what it comes down to, but I will say I met my lovely wife at UNT, and she is an alum of your high school.   Good things happening in Denton!

Mr. Novil meet Mr. MeanGreenTexan.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

At the same time I am a Mechanical & Energy Engineering major and I see one of my current professors every week at church, so plenty of Christian professors as well. Regardless of their faith, there are a lot of good professors that are there to help you if you need it.

2 minutes ago, MEEN2018 said:

At the same time I am a Mechanical & Energy Engineering major and I see one of my current professors every week at church, so plenty of Christian professors as well. Regardless of their faith, there are a lot of good professors that are there to help you if you need it.

No doubt.  I even saw one of my bio profs at church!

As for the bolded, I absolutely agree!  You're gonna receive a great education at UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Outside of it being about Religion.. The kid could be wanting to stay close/ at home. With a half-scholarship maybe he could live at home instead of having to pay for room/board. Just because we are a bigger school, doesn't mean we are going to land every kid. Every kid is different and yes while UNT may have some things that are better, its hard to compete when the kid thinks highly of another school 

Been going back and researching Dion a bit.  This kid may have a little something.  Also pretty fluid on the basketball court.  On the football field he seems a little stiff at times, but he seems to get in the backfield when he wants.  On the court, his basketball film shows him being pretty smooth.  Like the coordination he shows.  I would be curios as to why he is rated so low.  Looking at his film and other low rated 3 star kids of his size it is hard to seem much difference.

Hoops film:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3226578/5721c7d60dcb0d12f86909fe

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 1