'17 DE/TE Dion Novil (Abilene Wylie) [LOI: NT]

I am glad we are looking out in West Texas.  Dickey was the last coach who directed his staff to take a serious look out there and it paid off.  JaQuay graduated as the schools all time leading rusher.  

UTEP tends to look west, and Tech looks statewide, if we are willing to send coaches out there to drive those long flat roads we will find recruits.   Especially since so many of those kids aren't in the speed programs and other boosts that the large metro kids get.  

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

I am glad we are looking out in West Texas.  Dickey was the last coach who directed his staff to take a serious look out there and it paid off.  JaQuay graduated as the schools all time leading rusher.  

UTEP tends to look west, and Tech looks statewide, if we are willing to send coaches out there to drive those long flat roads we will find recruits.   Especially since so many of those kids aren't in the speed programs and other boosts that the large metro kids get.  

Absolutely Midland/Odessa, Abilene should all be combed over. There's usually plenty of talented kids coming out of those schools

45 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

This has DL written all over it to me.  

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I was hoping they would go for another DE

We are extremely thin at that position.

Our entire front 7 was decimated from graduating seniors

GOT ANOTHER DE THAT IS CLOSE TO AN OFFER. I BELIEVE HOLDING OFF AS LONG AS THEY CAN TO KEEP VULTURES AWAY

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

GOT ANOTHER DE THAT IS CLOSE TO AN OFFER. I BELIEVE HOLDING OFF AS LONG AS THEY CAN TO KEEP VULTURES AWAY

So our staff believes they are identifying diamonds in the rough, and want to keep other programs from also identifying them?    If so, these poor guys' high school coaches must not be doing a very good job of trying to get them out there, our coaches are identifying the wrong talent, or they're the greatest talent evaluators in Texas!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

So our staff believes they are identifying diamonds in the rough, and want to keep other programs from also identifying them?    If so, these poor guys' high school coaches must not be doing a very good job of trying to get them out there, our coaches are identifying the wrong talent, or they're the greatest talent evaluators in Texas!

see Davien Ford. Tyreece Lott. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

DI offers finally come for Wylie's Novil

Nothing about Dion Novil’s football life has been conventional, so it isn’t much of a surprise that the Wylie defensive lineman had an interesting recruitment path as well.

Over the past few years, college football recruiting has become a big business with websites, high school all-star games and the latest antics of a college coach trying to win over the big recruit talked about on major networks. But for the players who aren't on a top-100 list, it can be a different process.

Of course, four years ago, football offers were the last thing on Novil’s mind. Living in Florida at the time, the now 6-foot-3, 270-pound Novil decided to give football a shot for the first time his freshman year. He did it to be with his friends, but when he and his family moved to Abilene, that changed.

“That was the only organized football I had ever played,” Novil said. “Then I came here and they took it a lot more serious than my old school. It was a good transition, but it was a lot of learning through that transition.” 

Up to that point, basketball was the sport Novil poured everything into. He still excels on the court, being named to the Class 4A all-state team last season. But there was a realization that his future would be on the gridiron.

Since high school, I knew to play college basketball you’ve got to be taller than my height,” Novil said. “So I realized that a lot earlier, but it is weird. I’ve been playing basketball my whole life and thought my future was in basketball. But any way you can play college sports is always good.”

One week ago, about 2½ weeks until national signing day, Novil was sitting on a handful of Division II offers and a junior college offer to further his football career. Then, on back-to-back days, a pair of Division I offers came in. The first came on Jan. 16 from Abilene Christian, which competes at the Football Championship Subdivision level, followed a day later by the University of North Texas, a Football Bowl Subdivision school.

“It was a little frustrating at first to see other guys get offers and stuff like that,” Novil said. “But Coach (Hugh) Sandifer and other people I look up to always told me to stay patient and it would eventually come. That’s what happened. I just stayed focused and didn’t let that affect me much. I got the offers I was waiting for.”

The least surprised person to see the Division I offers come may have been Sandifer. The Wylie coach witnessed the development of a young, inexperienced player into one of the pillars of a stout Bulldog defense this season.

Novil wants to have a decision made before he sits down to sign on Feb. 1, but there are still some things to be done. First will be an official visit to UNT and then a lot of conversation with coaches, friends and family.

“I am still working it out with my mom and my peers to make sure I make the right decision,” Novil said. “I just look at it as what best suits me. I don’t look at it as which school is better. It’s which school truly wants to make me a better football player. It’s even right now. I really don’t know. ACU offered a half scholarship and UNT offered a full ride, so I’ve obviously got to take that into consideration with my mom when figuring out which suits me better financial-wise. But as far as leaning one way, it’s even right now honestly.”

There could even be another offer or two that comes in, but for now Novil is deciding between staying in Abilene or making the trip to Denton.

read more:

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sports/high-school/football/wylie-high/2017/01/23/better-late-than-never-di-offers-finally-come-wylies-novil/96971190/

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

DI offers finally come for Wylie's Novil

Nothing about Dion Novil’s football life has been conventional, so it isn’t much of a surprise that the Wylie defensive lineman had an interesting recruitment path as well.

Over the past few years, college football recruiting has become a big business with websites, high school all-star games and the latest antics of a college coach trying to win over the big recruit talked about on major networks. But for the players who aren't on a top-100 list, it can be a different process.

Of course, four years ago, football offers were the last thing on Novil’s mind. Living in Florida at the time, the now 6-foot-3, 270-pound Novil decided to give football a shot for the first time his freshman year. He did it to be with his friends, but when he and his family moved to Abilene, that changed.

“That was the only organized football I had ever played,” Novil said. “Then I came here and they took it a lot more serious than my old school. It was a good transition, but it was a lot of learning through that transition.” 

Up to that point, basketball was the sport Novil poured everything into. He still excels on the court, being named to the Class 4A all-state team last season. But there was a realization that his future would be on the gridiron.

Since high school, I knew to play college basketball you’ve got to be taller than my height,” Novil said. “So I realized that a lot earlier, but it is weird. I’ve been playing basketball my whole life and thought my future was in basketball. But any way you can play college sports is always good.”

One week ago, about 2½ weeks until national signing day, Novil was sitting on a handful of Division II offers and a junior college offer to further his football career. Then, on back-to-back days, a pair of Division I offers came in. The first came on Jan. 16 from Abilene Christian, which competes at the Football Championship Subdivision level, followed a day later by the University of North Texas, a Football Bowl Subdivision school.

“It was a little frustrating at first to see other guys get offers and stuff like that,” Novil said. “But Coach (Hugh) Sandifer and other people I look up to always told me to stay patient and it would eventually come. That’s what happened. I just stayed focused and didn’t let that affect me much. I got the offers I was waiting for.”

The least surprised person to see the Division I offers come may have been Sandifer. The Wylie coach witnessed the development of a young, inexperienced player into one of the pillars of a stout Bulldog defense this season.

Novil wants to have a decision made before he sits down to sign on Feb. 1, but there are still some things to be done. First will be an official visit to UNT and then a lot of conversation with coaches, friends and family.

“I am still working it out with my mom and my peers to make sure I make the right decision,” Novil said. “I just look at it as what best suits me. I don’t look at it as which school is better. It’s which school truly wants to make me a better football player. It’s even right now. I really don’t know. ACU offered a half scholarship and UNT offered a full ride, so I’ve obviously got to take that into consideration with my mom when figuring out which suits me better financial-wise. But as far as leaning one way, it’s even right now honestly.”

There could even be another offer or two that comes in, but for now Novil is deciding between staying in Abilene or making the trip to Denton.

read more:

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sports/high-school/football/wylie-high/2017/01/23/better-late-than-never-di-offers-finally-come-wylies-novil/96971190/

It's kind of sad honestly that the guy has to choose between a full ride and a half ride. Do we really have that bad of a local reputation? Common sense says go to the full ride D-I, but we'll see what he picks. Hopefully he'll head over this way.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Sad that we have to even compete with ACU for this guy.

A half ride to an FCS school, vs. a full ride to an FCS school shouldn't even be a competition. Then you throw in the fact that ACU's tuition alone is over $30,000, a half scholarship there means he would still be paying about $15,000 a year just in tuition. Not including room and board.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

There are plenty of great churches around Denton, and several student organizations on campus.   I really hope that's not the hold-up here.

Going to a school that is religion based in it's teachings, policies, hiring, messaging, etc is much different than going to a public university that has some churches around it.  Is there a public school in the country that doesn't have churches around it?  

The starting QB on my HS football team turned down a 1A offer to attend a 1AA religious school.  He is a very religious person, and he now is a pastor and a fb coach at another religious school.   He doesn't regret his choice.  

I have no idea if this is the case with this recruit, I am just saying an offer to a religious school might carry a lot of weight with certain recruits and family.