Nick Gerber QB '17 (Levelland) [Verbal: TJC]

TheReal_jayD

Yea I just saw Augie had. Guess he had a change of heart since during the season when he said he would be here.

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Well I will not pretend to be a QB guru, I coach LB's but his motion is pretty long.  Harrell should be able to tighten it up pretty easily.  What I like most is how he gets his shoulders around quickly when scrambling or rolling out to get ready to throw.  I also like that when the pocket gets pushed into his face he doesn't panic.  He stands in there and delivers strikes.  I don't think it's so long that he can't be successful with it, but if you're speaking in terms of ideal mechanics. 

My bad for putting you on the spot. I figure with the number of HS QBs you have it be a good comparison, but thanks for insight and scouting insight

20 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yea I just saw Augie had. Guess he had a change of heart since during the season when he said he would be here.

My bad for putting you on the spot. I figure with the number of HS QBs you have it be a good comparison, but thanks for insight and scouting insight

Lol no worries at all, I just want to help UNT however I can.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

He hasn't said yes.. but he hasn't said no. I'm guessing he is weighting the chances of a scholarship at a D2 or PWO at D1 that is in need of QB talent.

He's got offers from Navarro, Cisco, an NM Military Institute according to the article @Army of Dad shared.

We're his first and only FBS offer so that's big for him, even if it is a PWO at this point.

He has a lot of potential.  Here's what I saw in his highlights:

Pros

• Throws well on the run
  • Decent play-action fakes
  • Can hit a wide-open receiver (something our QBs struggled with this season)
  • Good pocket presence and not afraid to move up in the pocket or scramble when it breaks down
  • Handles bad snaps well

Cons

• Arm strength is a concern
  • Appears to lock in one receiver/telegraphs passes
  • Commits to the run too early/doesn't keep his eyes downfield
  • 4.71 40-yard speed? I want to test that stop watch

I can't argue with his stats.  Regardless of the level, 5,500+ yards passing and 77 TDs are impressive.  While he only threw 8 INTs all season, 3 of those were in his final game.  Also impressive is that Levelland had 3 receivers with 1,000+ yards (one with 900+) and 2 RBs with 1,000+ yards.  That tells me they spread the ball around a lot.  It also tells me they had a questionable defense as evidenced by these scores:

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 5.59.55 PM.png

Still, I think he's worthy of a PWO.

Edited by gangrene
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Sorry, but what is TJC?

Kid would rather go down, knock out some of his basics, hopefully play well and enough other offers.. Good move by him, even though I(and I think all of us) would have loved to have him come in and compete... Also, I think Izzy, Fine, and Pearson were a negative in terms of him coming in and competing instantly.

• Upvote 1