Nick Gerber QB '17 (Levelland) [Verbal: TJC]

TheReal_jayD

Kid can play with those stats. Also, he won't be asked to play year 1 most likely and can RS. The more people and talent we can add at QB the better.

I saw he is followed by Hardin-Simmons and SFA staff as well. So it would be impressive to land this kid over full-rides else where, at least to me.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

77 TDs is very impressive but I really like that he only had 8 INTs this past season. Pairing that with a 64.6% completion rate and 5617 yards makes him a very enticing player. Given that he played in 4A-D1, there is a little question of if numbers like that translate to D1 NCAAF, but at PWO, it's worth taking a chance.

You are kidding me right? 4A- D1 produces elite college football players year in and year out. 

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

One of our own?  

Yes sir, wasn't me but I was asked what I thought about the kid.  

47 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You are kidding me right? 4A- D1 produces elite college football players year in and year out. 

That's true, though the level of competition can be very uneven once you drop down into 4A (and even at the big schools is certain districts or regions). I'd think that evaluating a QB on his stats would be tougher to do fairly at that level than if he were a 6A kid in the metroplex. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

That's true, though the level of competition can be very uneven once you drop down into 4A (and even at the big schools is certain districts or regions). I'd think that evaluating a QB on his stats would be tougher to do fairly at that level than if he were a 6A kid in the metroplex. 

Stats sure, but his film is phenominal. Drops dimes and has great zip. Isn't throwing to wide open WR on fades he's dropping it in there. He runs to throw which is really tough defensively because you have to honor him as a runner even though he really just wants to throw it. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Stats sure, but his film is phenominal. Drops dimes and has great zip. Isn't throwing to wide open WR on fades he's dropping it in there. He runs to throw which is really tough defensively because you have to honor him as a runner even though he really just wants to throw it. 

That's what I thought @AustinFromUNT was driving at, that the stats might not translate well to FBS. I don't think he said anything about his film in that post...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

This is what I was trying to say. I went to a 4A high school and it is probably the hardest level to evaluate because it's right on the cusp of being large enough to be a competitive atmosphere, but it's also small enough that there is huge variation in talent level from school to school and district to district.

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

His film is great. But I would like to see what happens when he is in an even more competitive scenario. What happens against an FBS level pass rush? 

My worry is his arm motion looks long. I know it's something that can be cleaned up but love how the staff is adding QBs.. Izzy, Gerber as PWO are great additions. Also, if Augie is really here like it was rumored during the season that's crazy to add these 3 talented kids as PWOs

@GMG24 I know you're a coach(I believe) but thoughts on throwing motion?

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

My worry is his arm motion looks long. I know it's something that can be cleaned up but love how the staff is adding QBs.. Izzy, Gerber as PWO are great additions. Also, if Augie is really here like it was rumored during the season that's crazy to add these 3 talented kids as PWOs

Well I will not pretend to be a QB guru, I coach LB's but his motion is pretty long.  Harrell should be able to tighten it up pretty easily.  What I like most is how he gets his shoulders around quickly when scrambling or rolling out to get ready to throw.  I also like that when the pocket gets pushed into his face he doesn't panic.  He stands in there and delivers strikes.  I don't think it's so long that he can't be successful with it, but if you're speaking in terms of ideal mechanics. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Augie headed to Miami