C-USA standings

@UNTSportsFan

Not every team makes the conference tournament this season....looking like it will take six conference wins minimum to make the post-season conference tournament.  There are thirteen conference games left.  What are the chances? If things don't turn around promptly, the tournament may not include the Mean Green.  Here's hoping that turn around happens, and I'll be at the home games supporting the program, but it isn't looking good at this point for the post-season tourney.

And, yes, I am speculating on the need for six wins.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Not every team makes the conference tournament this season....looking like it will take six conference wins minimum to make the post-season conference tournament.  There are thirteen conference games left.  What are the chances? If things don't turn around promptly, the tournament may not include the Mean Green.  Here's hoping that turn around happens, and I'll be at the home games supporting the program, but it isn't looking good at this point for the post-season tourney.

And, yes, I am speculating on the need for six wins.

I still expect 5-13 conference record, but that includes a win at USM this week.

2 hours ago, rws69 said:

I still expect 5-13 conference record, but that includes a win at USM this week.

As bad as USM is, I don't have much confidence given the road record of the team in the Benford era. I feel like this is at best a coin flip to a loss.

9 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

As bad as USM is, I don't have much confidence given the road record of the team in the Benford era. I feel like this is at best a coin flip to a loss.

Using the Sagarin formula, which I've found crazy accurate over the years, I show UNT as a 3-point favorite at Southern Miss. 

FAU is a coin flip on a neutral floor with whoever the home team is being a 3-point favorite

Edited by oldguystudent

On 1/14/2017 at 6:10 PM, southsideguy said:

If the AD does no do something soon we may have hired the wrong guy.

We must fire him immediately and appoint one fo the assistants - Anwar or Shelton as interm.   Morale and disdcipline are  completely down as evidenced by the lack of defense and technicals.   I understand our next coach is likely coaching somewhere else.  But, we need to open the position the first day of the NCAA tournament and keep it open unitl one week after Final Four is over.    

We have some good talent that can be developed and should be kept - namely AJ Lawson and Ricky Brice, Jr.  With good coaching, these kids can be really gread and developed.  We must do what we can to keep them.  AD Baker should let him go and really talk to the kids because many of these kids do love Benford as a person and father figure.  He is a good man and would be great if in charge of recruiting as an asisstant somewhere. 

I am not going back to a game unless Benford is let go.  If he is let go, then all of us need to rally around the players and show our support.

Edited by bleedgreen42
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, bleedgreen42 said:

We must fire him immediately and appoint one fo the assistants - Anwar or Shelton as interm.   Morale and disdcipline are  completely down as evidenced by the lack of defense and technicals.   I understand our next coach is likely coaching somewhere else.  But, we need to open the position the first day of the NCAA tournament and keep it open unitl one week after Final Four is over.    

We have some good talent that can be developed and should be kept - namely AJ Lawson and Ricky Brice, Jr.  With good coaching, these kids can be really gread and developed.  We must do what we can to keep them.  AD Baker should let him go and really talk to the kids because many of these kids do love Benford as a person and father figure.  He is a good man and would be great if in charge of recruiting as an asisstant somewhere. 

I am not going back to a game unless Benford is let go.  If he is let go, then all of us need to rally around the players and show our support.

I'd make the 3 county trip for at least one more game this year if a 4 year mistake is finally fixed.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Using the Sagarin formula, which I've found crazy accurate over the years, I show UNT as a 3-point favorite at Southern Miss. 

FAU is a coin flip on a neutral floor with whoever the home team is being a 3-point favorite

Agree with Sagarin, and used it to predict 5-13 conference record. That 3-point home court (statistical average) advantage probably includes a better turnout than we have seen in the Pit the last few years.

1 minute ago, rws69 said:

Agree with Sagarin, and used it to predict 5-13 conference record. That 3-point home court (statistical average) advantage probably includes a better turnout than we have seen in the Pit the last few years.

I think for an opponent hosting a Benford coached UNT, that 3 point statistical average advantage should be upped to a 5 point statistical advantage.

Because, well, this is a Benford coached team.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, TheBigCawCaw said:

Benford got a check for 5 years and told everyone this is the best team he's had here out of all the seasons?....Oh wait let's listen to him explain a 6 game losing streak.

Benford has issued a version of this same line every year, I believe. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

22 hours ago, bleedgreen42 said:

This will be Wren's first hire and I'm sure he wants it to be a good one, as we all do. If we need to endure Benford for the rest of the season because of contract and/or money restraints, then so be it. I want a proven coach who will come in here and turn this program around. I, like many of you, haven't attended a game in three years because of this mess. So, let Wren get his ducks in a row and hire a good one. I want to believe again.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

This will be Wren's first hire and I'm sure he wants it to be a good one, as we all do. If we need to endure Benford for the rest of the season because of contract and/or money restraints, then so be it. I want a proven coach who will come in here and turn this program around. I, like many of you, haven't attended a game in three years because of this mess. So, let Wren get his ducks in a row and hire a good one. I want to believe again.

I agree with you. It is one thing to hand Benford his pink slip and quite another to bring in the coach you want NOW...YESTERDAY! The coach we WANT will be successful and obligated to his current team until late March. Lets be patient and let two basketball men (The Wren and Smatty) work their magic. JMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

averyday i come to the website expecting to see Benford let go or Benford contract will not be renewed and everyday I am disappointed.

What makes you think he will be renewed? He has 13 games to win 9 to finish 15-15 and I just don't see that happening at this point. While he might be a dead man walking, I don't think he'll be let go until the team is eliminated from the pool of 12 to make the conference tournament or until after the conference tournament.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

While he might be a dead man walking, I don't think he'll be let go until the team is eliminated from the pool of 12 to make the conference tournament or until after the conference tournament.

I hope you're wrong. 

The biggest mistakes RV made were pretending to have standards while bringing Dodge back for year 4 and pretending to take a hard stance on results while keeping Benford for years 4 and 5 (I'd also say year 3, but then again I'm bitter and angry). 

If Baker wants to wait for the end of the season to make a change that obviously needs to happen and obviously needed to happen before he ever even came to work here... Then that's a huge red flag to me. 

I can understand giving Benford a shot at this season, because a July-September hire wasn't likely to be a good non-interim replacement for him. And Baker had (and has) a lot of work to do in making this place his own. But Benford has already screwed up his most recent last chance. So, move on already. Don't wait for the absolute last second. Just get it over with already. 

1 minute ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I hope you're wrong. 

The biggest mistakes RV made were pretending to have standards while bringing Dodge back for year 4 and pretending to take a hard stance on results while keeping Benford for years 4 and 5 (I'd also say year 3, but then again I'm bitter and angry). 

If Baker wants to wait for the end of the season to make a change that obviously needs to happen and obviously needed to happen before he ever even came to work here... Then that's a huge red flag to me. 

I can understand giving Benford a shot at this season, because a July-September hire wasn't likely to be a good non-interim replacement for him. And Baker had (and has) a lot of work to do in making this place his own. But Benford has already screwed up his most recent last chance. So, move on already. Don't wait for the absolute last second. Just get it over with already. 

I totally get how people want Benford gone yesterday but Baker has to think about more than just the fans. I think where Baker is stuck on Benford is thinking about the players. Will they pack it in if Benford is let go or is there a chance to do a little something should the team make it into the conference tournament by keeping Benford through the end of the season? I think Baker owes it to the team and especially the seniors at the chance to do something this season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

19 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I totally get how people want Benford gone yesterday but Baker has to think about more than just the fans. I think where Baker is stuck on Benford is thinking about the players. Will they pack it in if Benford is let go or is there a chance to do a little something should the team make it into the conference tournament by keeping Benford through the end of the season? I think Baker owes it to the team and especially the seniors at the chance to do something this season.

1.  Heaven forbid they start losing games when Benford is fired.....

2.  LOLOLOLOLOL    no

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1