MGB: Perry says parting with UNT was mutual

Brett Vito

9 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

That's coach speak for "if I torch this b to the ground I wouldn't get hired anywhere."

Publicly disparaging a former employer just makes the person doing the disparaging look bad. It was classy, but also necessary, and like you said, in line with what you see every assistant do in this situation.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It wasn’t that Perry didn’t do good work at UNT or that Littrell didn’t like or respect Perry.

Perry spoke highly of Littrell.

In the end, he just wasn’t a good fit with a new coaching staff.

If everyone thinks so highly of Perry, then what the "bolded" comment says to me is that the new(est) coaches on the staff are real assholes, but Perry gets to be the disposable one of the group. 

You know, coaches preach all the time about a player learning to adjust and be a "team player".  But, just like good parents should start with being good role models for their kids,  coaches should be good role models for the players. It looks to me like someone in the current coaching staff is not being much of a role model for the players they are trying to coach and/or develop into being good team players.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Or, for the sake of argument, no one is an asshole and their coaching styles weren't complimentary and there was never a full level of comfort between all parties. Nobody was bad, just everyone didn't quite fit together.

And by the same "sake of argument", Isn't that what coaches do when they "develop" players? Teach them (first of all by modeling their own behavior with other coaches) to find a way to get along with their team mates, even if they were not very comfortable with everyone in the beginning?

I wish Coach Perry the best. He seems to be a class act. I just hope he's not the only one of them that is.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

when they talk about fit, it usually has to do with the Xs and Os... probably not a problem personality wise. just differences in approach and the fact that Tommy Perry is not an air raid type of coach. 

Could be. But that's not going to make him very marketable to other programs........especially in Texas.

• Downvote 2

8 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

And by the same "sake of argument", Isn't that what coaches do when they "develop" players? Teach them (first of all by modeling their own behavior with other coaches) to find a way to get along with their team mates, even if they were not very comfortable with everyone in the beginning?

I wish Coach Perry the best. He seems to be a class act. I just hope he's not the only one of them that is.

Who says that they were in open conflict? They might get along fine, just may not feel tight knit. If Perry just didn't feel like he fit in with the rest of the staff, he could still have gotten along just fine. No reason to believe that anyone is the bad guy here. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Could be. But that's not going to make him very marketable to other programs........especially in Texas.

I get your point. I remember one of the beyond the green videos talking about Ek having to learn a new system from Reffett. Don't necessarily see why Perry couldn't learn the airraid in the same manner.