Dallas Mavericks - Benford'd

You can't be serious.  The franchise has been great/good for damn near 16 years.  At some point things were going to turn but they have a few pieces to work with going forward.  The more they lose the more they'll unload and tank the rest of the season.  I think we all see that Dirk still has game and he just makes everyone around him better offensively w/his presence.  If you can get a top 3-5 pick and land a primo player and add him to Harrison Barnes then I think you at least have a few good pieces to start with.  Or hell you can land a high pick and trade that for a primo player say Cousins/Nerlens Noel etc which I wouldn't be opposed to.

Comparing our worthless MBB coach to anything within the Mavs organization is rather silly.

• Upvote 3

I agree.  Cuban needs to focus on the Mav's and less on Shark Tank, criticizing the president elect, etc...  Donnie Nelson is horrible managing the roster.

When should we expect the Spurs to turn?  That's right, they don't.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree.  Cuban needs to focus on the Mav's and less on Shark Tank, criticizing the president elect, etc...  Donnie Nelson is horrible managing the roster.

When should we expect the Spurs to turn?  That's right, they don't.

Cuban's Shark Tank involvement and his political activity have absolutely zilch to do with the Mavs current state.  Anybody closely following this team knew this was going to be a really rough year in all likelihood.

Oh great so you bring up the Spurs...one of the very very very few era's that we've seen any sports franchise have the amount of success they've had and that's what we're just expecting?  Sorry but that's just not reality.  Given all that Dallas still had what 12 or 13 straight seasons of winning 50 games also.  Of course I won't deny or excuse the miscalculations the Mavs have taken over the years but hey as long as they were winning and competitive a fan couldn't realistically complain.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Used to work at the site where the Mavs practiced when Cuban bought the team.  Cuban became a meddling owner way too quick.  Love Dirk, but I am done when he retires.  Cuban will never get them back to the finals.  I don't think many stars want to come to Dallas because of him.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I love Dirk, but is not playing very well on any kind of regular basis.

and yes, I am serious about Cuban.  

On 1/9/2017 at 1:30 PM, Green Mean said:

You can't be serious.  The franchise has been great/good for damn near 16 years.  At some point things were going to turn but they have a few pieces to work with going forward.  The more they lose the more they'll unload and tank the rest of the season.  I think we all see that Dirk still has game and he just makes everyone around him better offensively w/his presence.  If you can get a top 3-5 pick and land a primo player and add him to Harrison Barnes then I think you at least have a few good pieces to start with.  Or hell you can land a high pick and trade that for a primo player say Cousins/Nerlens Noel etc which I wouldn't be opposed to.

Comparing our worthless MBB coach to anything within the Mavs organization is rather silly.

and yes, I am serious about Cuban.  He decided to start gambling on a sign a new team every year approach, and the Mavs bar since that time has been - maybe we can make the playoffs.  Since the NBA championship, they have not threatened to do anything more than beat a team that was well worse than they were.

since the NBA championship and Cubans very failed new strategy, the Mavs have 4 1st round exits in the playoffs, and counting this year 2 DNQs.  You call that success?  I call that Benfordd because if Cuban just left things alone they would have been at least competitive for a year or 2.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 1/17/2017 at 8:50 PM, Mickey said:

and yes, I am serious about Cuban.  

and yes, I am serious about Cuban.  He decided to start gambling on a sign a new team every year approach, and the Mavs bar since that time has been - maybe we can make the playoffs.  Since the NBA championship, they have not threatened to do anything more than beat a team that was well worse than they were.

since the NBA championship and Cubans very failed new strategy, the Mavs have 4 1st round exits in the playoffs, and counting this year 2 DNQs.  You call that success?  I call that Benfordd because if Cuban just left things alone they would have been at least competitive for a year or 2.

As I said previously I wasn't always a fan of the method or approach the team has taken in everything specifically in drafting and player development but at the same time I can't knock a guy/organization that is consistently winning 50 games every year and going to the playoffs.  And the reality is that when you're picking in the mid to high 20's every June it's unlikely you can find great talent so their approach was different....I don't totally agree but I won't knock it.

Looking back breaking up the championship team was probably a mistake but at the same time I don't for one minute believe they would have been legitimate contenders in defending that title or being close to it.  That 2011 championship team was built for that year and that year only.  They were aging and everybody played out of their minds that spring.  Other than a season or two, I wouldn't say Chandler has been all that stellar in addition to injuries and his output not justified based on his salary but of all the guys on that team I probably would have kept him.  And despite their decisions made after the championship season they've still been competitive and been a playoff team except 1 season I believe which believe me if you lived through the 90's Mavs basketball you'd know how great even a 7 or 8 seed is.

We've reached a point where they are what they are...a fairly bad team.  You say Dirk isn't playing well....what are you expecting from him given his age and recent nagging injuries?  There's no question all he can do is provide some offense but I don't care...he's still a jedi to me and should be at the least the only reason to watch Mavs basketball b/c he's effing Dirk.  Regarding the future Barnes is a very good piece to start and build with.  I don't think he's an alpha male but I think he's capable of being if 2nd then 3rd best player on a really really good team.  They'll get a high pick in the next draft and it's a deep one so they can get a good player there or they can flip that pick and trade it away to bring in a good young piece in return.  

Lots of possibilities with this thing but even if it's done right and with perfection you're still probably looking at a 3-5 year rebuild.

Edited by Green Mean
  • Upvote 2