All-time best UNT FB player you ever witnessed

greenminer

On 1/8/2017 at 1:36 PM, UNTLifer said:

Speaking of Jamario, didn't DD want him to gain weight to hold up better and it effected his speed and quickness.  Seems he added about 20lbs. After his freshman year.

That's what I recall. Coaches wanted the added bulk to withstand the hits. Got injured(many think as a result of the extra bulk). Rushed him back too soon. And the rest is history.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, GrandGreen said:

WR Ron Shanklin- Quinn and Fitzgerald had better hands but not the speed

In fairness, JQ ran a 4.41 by the time his senior year rolled around.  Guy just worked out maniacally on his track skills.  Maybe the hardest working dude in the recent history of the program.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, mad dog said:

In fairness, JQ ran a 4.41 by the time his senior year rolled around.  Guy just worked out maniacally on his track skills.  Maybe the hardest working dude in the recent history of the program.

Probably right.  Imagine the kind of numbers he would have put up if his career would have stretched a year or two into the Dodge era.

• Upvote 1

I wish the caveat had been made to list the year you began watching NT football.  I'd love to know, for example, if you didn't pick Joe Green because you didn't see him play, or because you just think their are others who were better than him.

That being said, this is a great thread and I've been reminded of some great players that I've seen who I'd honestly kind of forgotten about.

I've been somewhat familiar with NT football since the late 80's, but I wouldn't say I was a real fan until the mid-late 90's.  Freshman Jamario is the best I've ever seen.  It was akin to having a Herschel Walker/Bo Jackson/Eric Dickerson type college running back on your team.  As far as a career of being a bada$$, give me Booger.

Edited by NT93

4 hours ago, Graddean said:

Did anyone on the board ever see Ray Renfro play?  He was listed no. 33 on the list of the 100 greatest Cleveland Browns of all time, and was the father of Mike Renfro of the Cowboys. 

Yes, I did.  Ray was in my original (to be) graduating class of 1952.  I saw him play in 49 and 50 but went into the service and missed the 51 (his last) season.

At the time, I considered him the fastest human in a football uniform.  He was a tenth of a second off of the world's record for the 100 yard dash in 1949.  He was very good playing running back but his forte became wide receiver.  Ray averaged nearly 20 yards per catch in the pro's and a touchdown every fifth catch.  

It's ironic that Ray Renfro was 33rd on the all-time Cleveland Brown's list and he wore #33 at North Texas.  

• Upvote 4

Jack, I talked briefly with Ray Renfro's son Mike the evening his dad was honored by North Texas in the old Silver Eagle Suite.  Yes, part of that conversation was about  a pass he caught as a Houston Oiler from QB Dan Pastorini.  It was ruled a "no catch." ➡️ That game was against our Mean Joe Greene's Pittsburgh Steelers.

❓GrayEagle, had Abner Haynes & Ray Renfro played their pro ball in New York wouldn't they be in the NFL Hall of Fame today?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

16 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Jack, I talked briefly with Ray Renfro's son Mike the evening his dad was honored by North Texas in the old Silver Eagle Suite.  Yes, part of that conversation was about  a pass he caught as a Houston Oiler from QB Dan Pastorini.  It was ruled a "no catch." ➡️ That game was against our Mean Joe Greene's Pittsburgh Steelers.

❓GrayEagle, had Abner Haynes & Ray Renfro played their pro ball in New York wouldn't they be in the NFL Hall of Fame today?

#MikeCaughtIt

On 1/8/2017 at 4:08 PM, UNT 90 Grad said:

I think Booger is the only Mean Green player to have had a bobble head made in their likeness.   That's gotta account for something. 

SPC-Photos_S16_UNT125th-Exhibit-119.jpg?

He was also named the MVP of the conference for two straight years.   I wonder how many defensive tackles anywhere achieved that.  

• Upvote 2

On 1/18/2017 at 5:34 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

Jim, they're pretty much two different situations.

Abner, who I believe is in the AFL HOF played when the league was separated and wouldn't have had the chance to be in the NFL Hall of Fame regardless.  (By the way, someone said or implied that Abner is not in the Texas Sports HOF but he is...inducted in 2007).

Had Ray Renfro played for the Giants there is a chance that he might have been better known.  But, Paul Brown's team was the darling of the old AAC and received a lot of publicity on their own.  Also remember, the Browns were largely a running team so Ray did not get as many opportunities to show his receiving skills.  Now, if somehow we could have magically transported Renfro to the era of Joe Namath quarterbacking the Jets, then I could see a great deal more publicity coming his way by being in New York.  After all, he was a three-time all-pro receiver.

• Upvote 1

Got to campus in 05 so I really missed Jamario's best yr.  Lance was unreal and I didn't really appreciate him enough at the time.  Brelan has got to be my all time guy.  Such athletic ability and heart.  He just had that knack that separates the great ones.  

I REEEALLY loved our secondary in 13, particularly Trice and Lee.  Those guys were so fun to watch.  

• Upvote 1