Middle Tennessee 1/7/17

Army of Dad

4 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

72-51 at the last official time out. 3:50 left in the game.

@Harry I hope you're wrong about last game and I disagree that there's nothing to be gained by finally doing what should have been done years ago.

It's just a public execution for the few fans we have left.  There's not going to be a good pool of candidates until after season anyway, his contract is guaranteed through the season and it will just alienate the players if they think we didn't give him the season to turn it around.

How can the players even support this mess?  I would think they would be hapoy to be rid of this recruiter dressed as a coach out of their way and a real coach starting the turn.  Hell, dump Benford and let Evans coach out the remainder of the season.  Then again , if Evans is so good, why in the world has he stood by for the past 5 years and let this happen without doing anythjng?

Just now, Andrew said:

A technical foul for calling a timeout we didn't have... that's embarrassing ?

Par for the course.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

None of you have ever coached or played at a higher level. This is a family and the players (most of them) respect the coaching staff and want succeed for them. That's just how it works. There are always players who do not have this view (see Chris Jones or Deandre Harris), but most of them on any team have their coaches back. It's family. We always break huddle and end practice on family. 

That and a $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

1. It's just a public execution for the few fans we have left.  

2. There's not going to be a good pool of candidates until after season anyway, his contract is guaranteed through the season and it will just

3. alienate the players if they think we didn't give him the season to turn it around.

1. Ok, I've seen enough of this sh... nothing wrong with telling the fan base that failure is no longer going to be tolerated.

2. We know it's going to happen, no reason to extend the misery. I think we all know the new hire likely won't happen until after conference tournaments are all over. Just stick the fork in him already.

3. How sure are you that hasn't happened already? IMO, Benford has lost the players already. 

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 6

None of you have ever coached or played at a higher level. This is a family and the players (most of them) respect the coaching staff and want succeed for them. That's just how it works. There are always players who do not have this view (see Chris Jones or Deandre Harris), but most of them on any team have their coaches back. It's family. We always break huddle and end practice on family. 

This makes sense as much as many of us want a change now. There will be some good candidates available at the end of the year. I trust the new AD will make the right call.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

It's just a public execution for the few fans we have left.  There's not going to be a good pool of candidates until after season anyway, his contract is guaranteed through the season and it will just alienate the players if they think we didn't give him the season to turn it around.

Agree.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This post is hilarious.  I am the son of a former coach, one that coached on the collegiate level.  Players also realize when they are not being put in the best position to win, which Benford could check off as his one accomplishment.  I don't care if "we" break the huddle with "I love Benford," they have to be tired of this crap.

Have you talked to them? It's not difficult to go to campus or around Denton and find these people and talk to them. Heck that's how my co worker got sidline passes under Mcarny. Saw him walking around south lake during park went up, talked to him, asked if he could help with anything and ended up working the summer camps, some practices, and the spring game. Our school went to UNT and we ran into AJ Lawson and just talked about the campus, the team, practices etc... I recommend just touching base with players and coaches. The coaches show is a great place for this as well. 

4 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Lol..."we"

Yes we... my team... 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 15

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Have you talked to them? It's not difficult to go to campus or around Denton and find these people and talk to them. Heck that's how my co worker got sidline passes under Mcarny. Saw him walking around south lake during park went up, talked to him, asked if he could help with anything and ended up working the summer camps, some practices, and the spring game. Our school went to UNT and we ran into AJ Lawson and just talked about the campus, the team, practices etc... I recommend just touching base with players and coaches. The coaches show is a great place for this as well. 

Yes we... my team... 

Ok yippeee Benford has a created family environment full of losing, if that is way it should be then drop his salary to $100k a year and he can be a cheaper family man.

The time is well past to fire him and promote up one of the assistants that is not Evans.

Only reason to keep him on is because of money, and if so that shows how pathetic fundraising was under RV and apparently still is under WB.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Ok yippeee Benford has a created family environment full of losing, if that is way it should be then drop his salary to $100k a year and he can be a cheaper family man.

The time is well past to fire him and promote up one of the assistants that is not Evans.

Only reason to keep him on is because of money, and if so that shows how pathetic fundraising was under RV and apparently still is under WB.

Agreed, it's not a like a replacement could do worse..... 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Silly argument, I doubt any of the players really care who the coach is at this point and even if they did: it is not their decision.  

Listening to Benford, I am not even sure he really wants to be here anymore.  

Back to the game, for a while I thought the old Combs was back; but it was short lived.   The muts controlled the inside.  Brown had a monster game.   Woolridge, Brown and Lawson not a bad guard combo for two more years.

Again, I think Benford should be gone and it is not that I think an interim coach is going to improve the current team.   However, an interim coach could be much better in developing the team for next year.   At this point, I doubt playing the seniors extensive minutes makes a lot of sense.   Develop Brice, Holston, Brown, Lawson, Tamara, and Woolridge.   Play Combs only if there is absolutely no danger of future injury.   

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

However, an interim coach could be much better in developing the team for next year.

And whom may that be?  I doubt it is Coach Robb Evans, he and Benford are like family.   Is there another assistant below Evans that could bring said player improvement?  Or could it become worse, like a rudderless ship?  I understand people being upset about Benford, he had his shot and blew it.  I just don't think firing him before the season ends adds anything positive to our situation.  Redemption perhaps, but no significant value.  Wren can be looking for another coach while Benford coaches the team.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

And whom may that be?  I doubt it is Coach Robb Evans, he and Benford are like family.   Is there another assistant below Evans that could bring said player improvement?  Or could it become worse, like a rudderless ship?  I understand people being upset about Benford, he had his shot and blew it.  I just don't think firing him before the season ends adds anything positive to our situation.  Redemption perhaps, but no significant value.  Wren can be looking for another coach while Benford coaches the team.

He will then cpoach team right upto signing day, practically or worse he is fired after CUSA Tourney, leaving 30-45 days before signing day, at UNT it takes a least 30 days to hire, so you screw the team for one more year.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

Dan O'Dowd - Assistant Coach
David Anwar - Assistant Coach
Todd Shelton - Director of Men's Basketball Operations

Scrappy

Hot dog vendor 

Usher in section 106

Would any of these available options possibly do worse? What is there to lose? 

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Sometimes a public execution is a good thing.

17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

No, don't live in Denton.  I really don't care if they like their coach,  He isn't there to be their friend.  Hell, if that were the case, let's hire Mr. Rogers and make it a wonderful neighborhood.

He passed away...

Although even now he'd still be a better coach.

• Upvote 3