MGB: Remington Lutz explains decision to decommit from UNT

Brett Vito

I ish this kid well, but unless we planned to move him to the OL or something, im not worried. Big body, but has never been a productive receiver even in HS. 

Commented before i read... Yeah, good luck Rem, but i don't see the fit for us.

Edited by MeanGreen13
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

I ish this kid well, but unless we planned to move him to the OL or something, im not worried. Big body, but has never been a productive receiver even in HS. 

Commented before i read... Yeah, good luck Rem, but i don't see the fit for us.

That's why he left. He was told he would have to play O.T.

• Downvote 1

It sounds like the UNT coaches pulled the bait-and-switch.  From the article when he committed:

“Being more involved in the passing game is attractive,” Lutz said. “Kansas was looking at me more as a blocker. I want to catch the ball.”

Lutz will have that opportunity in new UNT coach Seth Littrell’s spread offense. . . .

“The coaches want me to play a little tight end and also flex me out in the slot,” Lutz said. “There is a role for a bigger wide receiver in the offense.”

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It sounds like the UNT coaches pulled the bait-and-switch.  From the article when he committed:

Giving NT coaches the benefit of the doubt, I think they offered him as a WR/TE with the thinking that if he showed something this season they would honor that. When he didn't, they figured "yeah a blocker is probably your future" and he didn't like that. 

Worst case scenario is that they did, in fact, do a bait-and-switch. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Giving NT coaches the benefit of the doubt, I think they offered him as a WR/TE with the thinking that if he showed something this season they would honor that. When he didn't, they figured "yeah a blocker is probably your future" and he didn't like that. 

Worst case scenario is that they did, in fact, do a bait-and-switch. 

I doubt it was B&S as I don't think his message would have been as positive towards UNT coaches etc if as Vito stated "Lutz described his decommitment from UNT as a mutual parting of ways..."

I agree that they probably left the door open for him to play tackle which we all know is a hard as hell position to land at a G5.  And he knowing that decided he wanted to look at other options.  The final verdict on this will come out when we see where he ultimately signs.  I wish him well.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

It can only be the bait and switch if we waited to tell him he was switching positions AFTER he was signed and on campus. 

Sounds like we had a little buyer's remorse and found a way to get a refund without looking too bad.

Likely a case where, at this point in the recruiting cycle, the staff determined that Lutz (for whatever reason) was not a good fit, or may not play here, etc. at which point, it appears at least based on Vito's blog, that was communicated open and honestly and the staff likely offered to help the kid find something else. No bridges burnt and likely a win-win for the player and UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

It can only be the bait and switch if we waited to tell him he was switching positions AFTER he was signed and on campus. 

Sounds like we had a little buyer's remorse and found a way to get a refund without looking too bad.

this is a good point. We don't have a transcript of the entire conversation so we'll have to take his word for it. 

If anything this is a classy move by the coaches. Let me explain. They see the kid was not going to be used for the position he was originally recruited for. But instead of telling him no thank you they offered him an opportunity at a position that he had never  shown that he could play 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2