Alabama-Birmingham (1/5/17)

CMJ

DeRail'ed shoots 1-9 from the field and 0-6 from three and you allow him to continue taking shots?  It honestly seems like there is one player like this each game and they rotate between who is going to suck ass for the night but YET continue to try and shoot their way out their slump.

That's on the coaching staff for not stopping it.

Don't believe me?

Keith Frazier against Charlotte was f'in 1-11 and 0-7

Reese against San Diego was 2-9

Deckie Johnson was 1-9 and 0-4 against SHSU

Deckie Johnson AGAIN against UTA with 1-12 and 0-5

Guess what? That's 4 losses right there and I am not stupid enough to say that those players cost us those games but that kind of PISS POOR shooting for the evening has to be squashed.  

Doesn't matter because this is message board content and it won't change the fact that Benford will be gone at the end of this year and that our program is in the absolute shiter. 

7 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

you mean the old gym that was by the willis library? what did it hold 1k people?

was that football?

I believe at the PIT. That's the record per meangreen record stat sheets. 

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ntex/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/201617MBBFactBook.pdf

Lots of stats and some more interesting  than others. Benford stands to be fired at the end of the year but he could be the sixth most winnigest coach in school history out of 17. He could also enter the top 6 or 7 in winning percentage as well.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

24 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I believe at the PIT. That's the record per meangreen record stat sheets. 

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ntex/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/201617MBBFactBook.pdf

Lots of stats and some more interesting  than others. Benford stands to be fired at the end of the year but he could be the sixth most winnigest coach in school history out of 17. He could also enter the top 6 or 7 in winning percentage as well.

now you are scaring me.

• Upvote 1

The 1977 game was played in the Fabulous Super Pit.  I was there and it was when we had the best teams to ever represent UNT. For three years we won 20+ games including going 22-4 one year and we got no invites to any post season tournaments 

The doors opened two hours prior to the game and people were lined up to get a seat. UNT, then NTSU, won the game. 

I invite you to check the records when Weasel Johnson, Fred Mitchel, Melvin Johnson and those teams were playing. They averaged in the 90 ppg range all three seasons

Thank you Bill Blakey!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

When NT was in the MVC, most of the home games were sell outs.   In the old Snake Pit which only seated a fraction over 4000, but still impressive by today's standards.  

Why do universities continue playing replays on basketball game streams during game time?  Of course, you have a choice in person but, It absolutely ruins trying to watch the streams.    Does anyone in-house or on-line want to see replays and completely miss the live play during these periods?  NT outdid their self on the ESPN picked up UAB game.   They not only replayed the usual NT scores but also did a lot of the UAB scoring plays.    

27 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

When NT was in the MVC, most of the home games were sell outs.   In the old Snake Pit which only seated a fraction over 4000, but still impressive by today's standards.  

Why do universities continue playing replays on basketball game streams during game time?  Of course, you have a choice in person but, It absolutely ruins trying to watch the streams.    Does anyone in-house or on-line want to see replays and completely miss the live play during these periods?  NT outdid their self on the ESPN picked up UAB game.   They not only replayed the usual NT scores but also did a lot of the UAB scoring plays.    

Are you saying that ESPN shouldn't show the away team's highlights? I'm confused...

7 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Are you saying that ESPN shouldn't show the away team's highlights? I'm confused...

ESPN doesn't show anything, they are just broadcasting the in-house University stream.  No they should not broadcast any highlights during live play.   Can you imagine a Cowboys game were you don't see a touchdown at all because you are seeing the replay of a prior play?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We are seeing a consistent pattern of slow starts and severe inability to close out games. TB burned a time out early in the game when we were 19 seconds and game stoppage away from getting a media time out. That did help turn the game around, but then we were out of time outs for that last UAB free throw and the players showing confusion on how to run last play. 

That inability to close out games has us wondering "how will we lose this one?" That is on the coaching, and needs to change. I was hoping my prediction of an 0-5 conference start would be wrong, but unfortunately that is where we are headed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, rws69 said:

We are seeing a consistent pattern of slow starts and severe inability to close out games. TB burned a time out early in the game when we were 19 seconds and game stoppage away from getting a media time out. That did help turn the game around, but then we were out of time outs for that last UAB free throw and the players showing confusion on how to run last play. 

That inability to close out games has us wondering "how will we lose this one?" That is on the coaching, and needs to change. I was hoping my prediction of an 0-5 conference start would be wrong, but unfortunately that is where we are headed.

You start the game with 4 total timeouts. You must use 1 timeout in the first half otherwise you lose it. I don't recall if Benford called any other timeouts in the first half or not.

• Upvote 1

It is unbelievable to me how this program has deteriorated in the last 5 years.  I cannot fathom what would happen if Benford gets extended. I believe that there were more people at a post game student slam dunk contest when Jimmy Gales was coach than now attend men's home games.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, drex said:

It is unbelievable to me how this program has deteriorated in the last 5 years.  I cannot fathom what would happen if Benford gets extended. I believe that there were more people at a post game student slam dunk contest when Jimmy Gales was coach than now attend men's home games.

Very sad. Shows how one bad hire can undo years of momentum in a sport. Now we are a rebuild job. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Very sad. Shows how one bad hire can undo years of momentum in a sport. Now we are a rebuild job. 

it's not just the bad hire part.  it's the fact that everyone could see it wasn't working, yet nothing was done about it.  that's the issue.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, ntexeagle said:

The 1977 game was played in the Fabulous Super Pit.  I was there and it was when we had the best teams to ever represent UNT. For three years we won 20+ games including going 22-4 one year and we got no invites to any post season tournaments 

The doors opened two hours prior to the game and people were lined up to get a seat. UNT, then NTSU, won the game. 

I invite you to check the records when Weasel Johnson, Fred Mitchel, Melvin Johnson and those teams were playing. They averaged in the 90 ppg range all three seasons

Thank you Bill Blakey!

There's a great story behind how Coach Blakely got Texas to play us at the Super Pit in back to back seasons in '80 and '81 in which we won both times.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

There's a great story behind how Coach Blakely got Texas to play us at the Super Pit in back to back seasons in '80 and '81 in which we won both times.

Rick

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

What is the back story?

We had to agree with their selection of the officiating crew for the 1988 football game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This is sad. My wife ( girlfriend  at the time) use to go to all the home games. I mean ALL homes and a few away games.  I believe 2,500 to 3,000 was the norm. What great teams with White,odufuwa, williams, thompson, holmen and crowd favorite Ben Knox. Fun times.

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, mgfan said:

This is sad. My wife ( girlfriend  at the time) use to go to all the home games. I mean ALL homes and a few away games.  I believe 2,500 to 3,000 was the norm. What great teams with White,odufuwa, williams, thompson, holmen and crowd favorite Ben Knox. Fun times.

Yep, I was the same exact way. NEVER missed a home game. But sadly I have not stepped foot into the Super Pit for 3 years and will not until Benford is gone. Can't wait to come back! GMG 

Also you forgot about Justin Howerton on your list!! 

• Upvote 1