Alabama-Birmingham (1/5/17)

CMJ

Just now, GMG24 said:

Not even close. 

You mean it wasn't a charge? What is it called when your feet are set outside of the restricted zone? The angle of the feet to the basket do not matter by the way. 

1 minute ago, Greendylan said:

Mathematically speaking, you would think that at some point one of those 50/50 calls at the end of a game would go our way.  Never does.

Especially when your the home team. In the San Diego the charge was clear and Number 52's feet were clearly set, but even so that is a call that usually isn't made against the home team in the last seconds of a game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

You mean it wasn't a charge? What is it called when your feet are set outside of the restricted zone? The angle of the feet to the basket do not matter by the way. 

It was more of a charge than what Reese did at the end of the San Diego game, yet both critical calls went against us.  Shouldn't home court advantage come into play when a call truly could go either way?  I mean, maybe not officially, but basketball just usually works that way.

In all honesty, I sometimes wonder if refs simply don't respect Benford.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Travis said:

8 point lead under three minutes. I kept thinking to myself, we are totally going to blow this. Sadly, I am a prophet. 

Two of their top three scorers picked up 3 fouls with just over 10 minutes to go and we didn't take advantage. Both were left on the floor and we never attacked them off the dribble. I would have assumed somebody on the bench would have let them know... ?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Especially when your the home team. In the San Diego the charge was clear and Number 52's feet were clearly set, but even so that is a call that usually isn't made against the home team in the last seconds of a game.

He slid underneath the guy after he took off and got set once he left his feet. That's a block 10/10 times. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Your feet have absolutely nothing to do with taking a charge, you can be moving front to back or side to side and take a charge. Your upper body and torso being squared up to the defender is what establishes legal guarding position. I have not seen the replay, but watching it live it was close but it did not appear he was in legal guarding position. 

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

He slid underneath the guy after he took off and got set once he left his feet. That's a block 10/10 times. 

Looked like a block. Tough crash block/charge play, but I think the official made a good call. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

This is the home game I thought we would win for no good reason at all, other than we win a game or 2 at home every year that we shouldn't. 

Conflicted. 

Welp, I was certainly wrong.

Don't know whether to be glad or sad about that or just not care. 

Middle wins by 15 plus Saturday. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

Your feet have absolutely nothing to do with taking a charge, you can be moving front to back or side to side and take a charge. Your upper body and torso being squared up to the defender is what establishes legal guarding position. I have not seen the replay, but watching it live it was close but it did not appear he was in legal guarding position. 

Looked like a block. Tough crash block/charge play, but I think the official made a good call. 

Perhaps look up the principal of verticality. Your torso does not have to be "squared" up and you are allowed to protect yourself as a defender while taking a charge when the offense player is out of control or has already left his feet. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Perhaps look up the principal of verticality. Your torso does not have to be "squared" up and you are allowed to protect yourself as a defender while taking a charge when the offense player is out of control or has already left his feet. 

Legal guarding position is found in Rule 4 Section 23. Guarding is defined as legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent. Usually the defender is between the offensive player and the basket. Note the word “legally.” To initially be legal when guarding an opponent the defender must have two feet touching the court in bounds and the defenders torso must be facing the opponent. There you have it, two feet touching the court and facing the offensive player. Simple enough

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

No such thing as allowed to protect yourself. You must be in legal guarding position aka establish your spot on floor before offense gets there.  He didn't do that, it's a charge. 

Just now, shootermcgavin44 said:

Legal guarding position is found in Rule 4 Section 23. Guarding is defined as legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent. Usually the defender is between the offensive player and the basket. Note the word “legally.” To initially be legal when guarding an opponent the defender must have two feet touching the court in bounds and the defenders torso must be facing the opponent. There you have it, two feet touching the court and facing the offensive player. Simple enough

What year is that rule book ;) 

Benford has really shown us some great results by being cheap and allowing this fraud to coach in the last year of his contract.

Not to mention the fact that recruiting anyone with a brain to come here and commit to play is nil. The next coach will have some talent on the roster but he won't have any help coming from the HS ranks.

RV'd

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

So as long as your torso is facing me I can barrel right through you and make out of control contact as a ball handler? Torso  and feet position are not the only factors that go into a charge. The offensive player cannot be out of control or lead with his off ball arm. Even so many charges are called without the defender fronting his man. See the video below for a few examples (many are straight on but others the contact is created on the side of the defender). 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

how much longer can wren wait to make a change?  at this point if benford and the players leave , we start over can't be any worse than we  have now.  350 people show up to watch a game.  I am not sure what the super pit holds seats wise but we should be at least half full every game.  win and even the locals will show up.

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

So as long as your torso is facing me I can barrel right through you and make out of control contact as a ball handler? Torso  and feet position are not the only factors that go into a charge. The offensive player cannot be out of control or lead with his off ball arm. Even so many charges are called without the defender fronting his man. See the video below for a few examples (many are straight on but others the contact is created on the side of the defender). 

Look, a push off by the off arm isn't what happened.  Yes if an offensive player is out of control the defender still needs to get in a legal guarding position as defined above.  

11 minutes ago, Andrew said:

So as long as your torso is facing me I can barrel right through you and make out of control contact as a ball handler? Torso  and feet position are not the only factors that go into a charge. The offensive player cannot be out of control or lead with his off ball arm. Even so many charges are called without the defender fronting his man. See the video below for a few examples (many are straight on but others the contact is created on the side of the defender). 

So as long as your torso is facing me I can barrel right through you and make out of control contact as a ball handler?

Sure, if you would like to be called for an offensive foul. 

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Displacement caused by a push off is not the same play as a block/charge. 

Just now, shootermcgavin44 said:

Displacement caused by a push off is not the same play as a block/charge. 

You cannot attack and be out of control and you do not have to have your torso facing the offensive player in order for a charge to be called. Plenty of examples in the video and every game on tv. Perhaps having your torso facing the player is like carrying the ball... a rule that isn't followed by the coaches, players, or refs... or at least a rule that is subjective for refs. I have seen a player called for a charge while the defender was facing the basket waiting for a rebound. He slammed right into his back and was called for a charge/offensive foul. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1