Group of 5 officials considering playoff for non-Power 5 teams

Harry

Northern Illinois athletic director Sean Frazier is among a growing number of Group of 5 officials that favor adding a playoff specifically for the Group of 5 schools.

"It's time to have a realistic conversation about creating a playoff for the Group of 5," Frazier told ESPN. "Why not?"

It's been 32 years since a non-Power 5 team won a national championship (BYU in 1984) and it likely will never happen again in the current format. In the first three years of the College Football Playoff, a Group of 5 team has never ranked higher than No. 13 (Memphis in the 2015 initial rankings) by the CFB Playoff selection committee.

"There is absolutely no ability for us (teams in the Group of 5) to be in that national title conversation," Frazier said. "That's just reality. Anyone that says we can: That's a flat-out lie."

The Group of 5 consists of schools from the American, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt conferences along with independents BYU, Army and UMass.

Frazier said he believes a Group of 5 playoff could be financially rewarding to those schools. NBC, CBS and ESPN have interest in televising a Group of 5 playoff, an industry source said.

"As long as the financial agreement that currently exists with the CFB Playoff remains and we had the opportunity to package a Group of 5 championship, why wouldn't we want to do it?" a Group of 5 official said. "It would spread the exposure to all five conferences, rather than just the one conference champion that plays in a New Year's 6 bowl."

read more:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18369921/growing-number-group-5-officials-considering-playoff-non-power-5-teams

Holy Toledo!  I posted the the G5 should do that a few months ago and people thought it was crazy!

I think the G5 should start calling its own shots the way the P5 does.  You can't just sit back and react all the time!  Show recruits that there is something worth having/playing for at G5 schools.

Then, I say the G5 do what the AFL did to the NFL...keep pestering it for a "Super Bowl" until we get a true championship game in college football representing all schools at the highest level.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

If this were to happen wouldn't we basically be a new FCS division?  It seems it would lessen our stature among the media and fans.  

If there is enough schools wanting to do this to make it an issue, I could see G5 conferences splitting and reforming as some teams want to go to a "G5 FCS" and some teams want to stay with the P5 and bowl games. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNT90 said:

Terrible idea.

The group of 5 should be considering a class action anti-trust lawsuit instead of relegating themselves to second tier nothingness forever...

important to note that in the article Mike Aresco of the AAC said he is totally against it.  So they will have a tough time probably passing it through and I imagine some conferences could pass and stay in the current configuration.

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Holy Toledo!  I posted the the G5 should do that a few months ago and people thought it was crazy!

I think the G5 should start calling its own shots the way the P5 does.  You can't just sit back and react all the time!  Show recruits that there is something worth having/playing for at G5 schools.

Then, I say the G5 do what the AFL did to the NFL...keep pestering it for a "Super Bowl" until we get a true championship game in college football representing all schools at the highest level.

I was with you! I would get hammered of the FCS playoff system!

The bucks are in the playoffs! You could easily incorporate some Bowls in the playoff system.

This would be great and it create interest in other teams. GO GO GO 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I am also one that was with you. This is going to happen anyway, so it would be nice to get a decent contract from someone that would love to have a 16 team playoff for the month of December.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I was with you! I would get hammered of the FCS playoff system!

The bucks are in the playoffs! You could easily incorporate some Bowls in the playoff system.

This would be great and it create interest in other teams. GO GO GO 

Exactly!

And, I've always thought the argument that a larger playoff would hurt the players' academics because of finals to be pretty much bullsh*t because you've had the I-AA/FCS doing it forever.  Plus...college baseball tournaments...March Madness in the heat of midterms?

It's always just been another phony baloney argument meant to keep the dollars and revenue flowing to and from the biggest players.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is only a good solution if the G5 playoff works as a play-in to the College Football Playoff. 

They would play the one seed with most years getting pummled.  But every 10-20 years - something special would happen and you would be able to capture what is so captivating with the NCAA BBall Tourney.  

Edited by Zeke
I do what I want
  • Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

important to note that in the article Mike Aresco of the AAC said he is totally against it.  So they will have a tough time probably passing it through and I imagine some conferences could pass and stay in the current configuration.

Of course, because his wet dream is to have his conference be invited to the P5...which, like Houston's bid to get into the Big 12, is just that:  a dream.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Terrible idea.

The group of 5 should be considering a class action anti-trust lawsuit instead of relegating themselves to second tier nothingness forever...

This will never happen.

First of all, the G5s aren't going to upset the apple cart, as they continue getting paid for the beatings they get scheduled to take every year, just to pay for their non-revenue sports.

Second, the legislatures and judges that fill the benches and government houses of the country are full of grads and donors from the P5s. They are just gonna USFL the G5 on any lawsuits.

Lastly, they will allow two conferences to have teams from their leagues compete to play them, both in OOC an din bowl games. Everyone else will be deemed minor leagues.

If we are going to be in a minor league, give the kids a chance to compete for a national title, which is the greatness of the lower divisions having a playoff system. I've long felt this way about the non-power leagues. By the way, if you make this deal and it keeps the NCAA Tournament and College World Series as is, this should be done in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not a fan of the idea ... I'd rather see the current playoff expanded to always include the G5 conference champions or at least 2 of the highest ranked G5 conference champs.  All the G5's are spending and working to become big time or they wouldn't be in FBS ... this change would permanently and quickly relegate all G5's to irrelevance (see FCS).  In today's world, it's not optimal with respect to the national championship chances for a G5, but at least a G5 can make a lot of noise and get to a top bowl  (Boise or Houston as an example). The FCS national championship game has been in Frisco for several years and 98/100 people you ask in DFW would have no idea it's being played in our back yard.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, wizade said:

Not a fan of the idea ... I'd rather see the current playoff expanded to always include the G5 conference champions or at least 2 of the highest ranked G5 conference champs.  All the G5's are spending and working to become big time or they wouldn't be in FBS ... this change would permanently and quickly relegate all G5's to irrelevance (see FCS).  In today's world, it's not optimal with respect to the national championship chances for a G5, but at least a G5 can make a lot of noise and get to a top bowl  (Boise or Houston as an example). The FCS national championship game has been in Frisco for several years and 98/100 people you ask in DFW would have no idea it's being played in our back yard.

And the financial consequences would be devastating. Go check out those FCS TV contracts, because that would be the standard for the G5 if the self relegated themselves into oblivion. 

I seriously think some of you were against the move back to FBS. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

The give up in this fan base never ceases to amaze...

Say goodbye to FCS? Well, say goodbye to 82 scholarships and hello to 65. Say goodbye to the amount of cash currently being donated to the program. Let that sink in. Say goodbye to ever funding a baseball program. Say goodbye to ever having more than 20k at a football game. Say goodbye to any new athletic facility. 

Stop and think of consequences before relegating yourself to a lesser status I college athletes, because they will be severe.

We aren't dropping to FCS and going down to 65 scholarships. If anything, the FCS schools that are in the top 20 will move up to having 82 scholarships.

This isn't 1982 and we aren't sitting in the middle of the best conference in the country within our own state where cheating ran rampant and the media only cared about them. If we get 15k-20k for a game against G5s today, we will in the years ahead, too...particularly if you regionalize the conferences. We will get good crowds playing teams like Rice, La Tech, UTEP, UTSA, Texas State, etc...

Look, I want UNT playing in the MWC or higher, but I also want to win the lottery. Neither appears to have much chance of occurring. Houston, who is waaayyyyyy higher than us on the college football totem pole, can't get into the power leagues. Neither can UConn, Memphis, Cincinnati, Boise State, etc...the doors are closed and locked up. And the only time it will open again will be to kick out teams when the Big XII falls apart and TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, and possibly K-State, Okie Lite, and Texas Tech are no longer power teams. When that happens, the MWC/AAC/Big XII teams will combine to be the two leagues that can still compete for BCS games and scheduling OOC games against those power schools. Its what the Power Leagues want, administratively, as well as from the big media partners, too.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

We aren't dropping to FCS and going down to 65 scholarships. If anything, the FCS schools that are in the top 20 will move up to having 82 scholarships.

This isn't 1982 and we aren't sitting in the middle of the best conference in the country within our own state where cheating ran rampant and the media only cared about them. If we get 15k-20k for a game against G5s today, we will in the years ahead, too...particularly if you regionalize the conferences. We will get good crowds playing teams like Rice, La Tech, UTEP, UTSA, Texas State, etc...

Look, I want UNT playing in the MWC or higher, but I also want to win the lottery. Neither appears to have much chance of occurring. Houston, who is waaayyyyyy higher than us on the college football totem pole, can't get into the power leagues. Neither can UConn, Memphis, Cincinnati, Boise State, etc...the doors are closed and locked up. And the only time it will open again will be to kick out teams when the Big XII falls apart and TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, and possibly K-State, Okie Lite, and Texas Tech are no longer power teams. When that happens, the MWC/AAC/Big XII teams will combine to be the two leagues that can still compete for BCS games and scheduling OOC games against those power schools. Its what the Power Leagues want, administratively, as well as rom the big media partners, too.

Do this and my support ends. I'm sure others feel the same way. It's giving up. It is absolutely returning to the mid 80s. If you think crowds and financial support won't be affected, you are fooling yourself. TV revenue will be one tenth of what it is currently, and that's an optimistic figure.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Do this and my support ends. I'm sure others feel the same way. It's giving up. It is absolutely returning to the mid 80s. If you think crowds and financial support won't be affected, you are fooling yourself. TV revenue will be one tenth of what it is currently, and that's an optimistic figure.

So how is it giving up if the Power Leagues won't allow you to play them or join their club? Do you just play as an independent and hope that Power League teams will still schedule you?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

So how is it giving up if the Power Leagues won't allow you to play them or join their club? Do you just play as an independent and hope that Power League teams will still schedule you?

It's giving up because you quit trying. No one knows what the future holds, but I know for sure if you quit you will miss any and every opportunity that would present itself.

• Upvote 4

I feel like 90 doesn't post much anymore, but when he does, he comes guns blazing. And I love it. 

Under no circumstances would I want a G5 playoff. Doesn't make sense on multiple levels. You would never get the time of day from good recruits bc they'll all want to play for P5s and that shot at the championship. Teams like us would never get to offer that dream. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1