MGB: Bowl update

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

A good deal for North Texas all around.  A beatable team (for TV purposes) and we'll have most all our hurt players who beat Army the first time around back. 

Will Army have their starting QB back?   HOD officials know we can bring more fans than any one school they've had in their 7 year history so I'm sure they are pleased. 

GMG!

Yes I believe their other QB should be back.. He is the passing QB and had a broken hand the last time we played. I believe the QB we saw is their #1 with the injuried being the sub QB/Passer but I could be wrong.

Will be a solid W if we can win, to say we beat a top 5/10 defense in the nation twice

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Did you go to the last HOD game and participate in any of the pre game events?  Everyone I know who did had a blast. 

I did go to the HOD bowl and had a good time at the game itself.  We were out there tailgating starting at about 7 am.  As soon as our crew started for the gates, the neighborhood's go getters started coming out and taking our stuff.  This time I'm only bringing a cooler and some fold out chairs, if that!  

I'm extremely happy we're in a bowl game, but I don't expect a similar crowd to what we had in 2013.  I say in the ballpark of 22,000-25,000 for attendance if the weather is nice.  

Wardly I too froze my butt off at West Point, but enjoyed it and some people on this board would bitch if you gave them a million $'s because they would have to

open another bank account. I will be there and yes we can't hope for seven turnovers again, but it should be a good game with a great atmosphere. I've followed this

program for 45 years(disappointed when we had 9 win seasons and stayed home/had 20 game wins in basketball no tournament invite) so all of you that don't go it

will be your loss. Even being optimistic I was hoping for 4 WINS and this team has over-achieved with all injuries, suspension, ect. deserve our support. Enough of an

old man's rant  some of you need to go to a safe place with some of the students.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

I think we should tone down the "beatable opponent".  If we can't force a bunch of turnovers again - not a given at all - then this could be a game we easily lose.  I hope we win, we can win, but this is far from a forgone conclusion just because we won the first game.

beatable <> sure win

We already proved they are beatable by beating them.  That definitely does not mean it's a sure win.

I'm excited about this game.  The one disappointment I have is that this extra practice time we've been talking about will be spent prepping for a triple option team.  That will make us that much more ready for Army next year, but doesn't help enormously with the other opponents.  That's a very very minor disappointment though and it only affects one of the three phases of the game.  It's also nice that we'll have one extra week of preparation over Army (just like the last time we played them) because this week Army will be spending time getting ready for Navy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

OKKKKK! Great publicity in the metroplex... Dallas lit green the night before the game....We are now the Ivy school of the metroplex...Playing a historic opponent with Army and the cadets....We get to practice for 3 more weeks.... On national TV.....oh WAIT the stadium seats hurt my butt! Had a blast in 2013 can't wait for a repeat! 45,000 at the game! Proud of the kids! GMG

AND, we can stick it in the mouth of southern meth and say SUCK IT!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 3

The Army/Navy game is coming up this weekend and it's a national game no matter how good or bad these 2 teams are from decade to decade.  U.S. presidents used to come to this game annually & may still do it. 

I'd wager that during the national telecast of this game that it will be mentioned 2 or more times  that Army will be coming to Dallas to play North Texas in the HOD Bowl game.  Hey!  It's free publicity!  We'll take it! 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Proof that some of us would bitch if hung with a new rope. We are a 2 win pre season projection who some how won 5 games. Are we very good? No. At 5&7 are we lucky to be in any bowl? Yes.Yet some of us bitch because of the opponent, or the time, or the location. Give me a break. I froze my butt of at West Point 10/22, will see us play Army again 12/27, and again next season. If deserves has any thing to do with football, our fickle fans deserve the horseshit program we have had the last decade.

That is great Wardly however you can't classify everyone not excited about attending this game as "fickle".  UNT is the only program I support financially whether professional or college.  Not excited is not the same as "bitching".  I think you would have liked another opponent also.  If you have the money and can take vacation day at relatively short notice more power to you.  I wish more of us did.  The first HoD Bowl should have had even more fans that it did because there was more to be excited about.  Even during the 1-11 season I wore my UNT stuff daily and attended half the home games during that dismal season last year.  It is counter productive to be attacking long suffering fans who care enough to even be on gmg.com to read these comments.  Save this critique for when we are coming off a 9-4 season and can't sellout the home opener against SMU the following year. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'll be the debbie downer and say it: I'm not excited. I'll watch it on tv if I can but I'm not figuring out how to get to a game against a team we'll be playing every year through 2021. Not with 4 kids including a 6 month old. Proud of our guys for making it to a bowl game but could care less about the opponent. 

Go to the game to support your school, not based on who they are playing.  This line of thinking is why we have had attendance issues forever.  Support Your School.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Go to the game to support your school, not based on who they are playing.  This line of thinking is why we have had attendance issues forever.  Support Your School.

Yes, sounds reasonable make bad financial decisions to "support your school"  The schools will get more financial benefit from direct donation to the school or attending a game in Apogee.  The bulk of the ticket revenue goes to the Bowl Committee.  UNT might be in the black for HoD Bowl trips but a lot of schools loose money on Bowl trips.  I am going to take my $50 and donate it to the MGC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

4 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

OKKKKK! Great publicity in the metroplex... Dallas lit green the night before the game....We are now the Ivy school of the metroplex...Playing a historic opponent with Army and the cadets....We get to practice for 3 more weeks.... On national TV.....oh WAIT the stadium seats hurt my butt! Had a blast in 2013 can't wait for a repeat! 45,000 at the game! Proud of the kids! GMG

Wait.. you sit during the game??? Amateur!!!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

It's that attitude of the typical North Texas fan why we average under 20k per home game. I would be going even if we were playing Denton High.

Yes! You build a program by teaching fans to show up no matter whom you are playing. The opponent will make a difference around the margins, but the vast majority of the crowd should be there to watch NT play and not care if it's Alabama or the Texas School for the Blind. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, wardly said:

Proof that some of us would bitch if hung with a new rope. We are a 2 win pre season projection who some how won 5 games. Are we very good? No. At 5&7 are we lucky to be in any bowl? Yes.Yet some of us bitch because of the opponent, or the time, or the location. Give me a break. I froze my butt of at West Point 10/22, will see us play Army again 12/27, and again next season. If deserves has any thing to do with football, our fickle fans deserve the horseshit program we have had the last decade.

I was browsing before making the observation that we will end up playing Army three times in a span of 13 months in three different stadiums. How unique is that?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

This line of thinking would make to much sense... Plus these are the fans that say they will show up when we get into a big conference, but don't understand the big conferences wont take someone who brings in no money... offer very little in terms of Athletics 

59 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Yes, sounds reasonable make bad financial decisions to "support your school"  The schools will get more financial benefit from direct donation to the school or attending a game in Apogee.  The bulk of the ticket revenue goes to the Bowl Committee.  UNT might be in the black for HoD Bowl trips but a lot of schools loose money on Bowl trips.  I am going to take my $50 and donate it to the MGC.

Your aware you could claim to be a First Responder and have HoD mail you free tickets, when I Direct messaged them asking what proof they wanted, they said they just hope people are honest... but if you feel like being an honest individual I think all of us would gladly love to see your donation to the MGC with a receipt or something :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

Stop it!  I've seen this suggested several times now.  Just stop it, for several reasons...

First, North Texas gets ZERO benefit from people showing up using free tickets, even if we bring 40,000 fans.  Bowls notice if our ticket office can't sell tickets

Second, and far more importantly, those tickets are to HONOR THOSE WHO SERVE AND PUT THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE.  Encouraging people who have never made that sacrifice is unethical and a slap in the face to those of us who have EARNED the courtesy tickets.  

I know I joked about getting a bunch of them and giving them to students but that would be wrong.  DFW is full of police, fire and EMS men and women who deserve the gift of being honored at this game, and I would be a real ass to take seats away from them.  

Well as someone who has earned this right through my military service. I never encouraged anyone to say or try to get these free ticket, nor am I someone who goes around asking for these discounts/benefits during or after my service... 2nd. you missed my point about the posting of the donation... I would love to see everyone buy tickets, but its more important having people in the crowd... and if people do that then write a check for 50 bucks even better for the AD..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Had a blast in 2013 can't wait for a repeat! 45,000 at the game!

The official listed attendance for 2013 was 38,380. Posts have said 40,000 and now 45,000. If that many more tickets have been subsequently sold for that game from 2013 then no one should have an excuse not to buy tickets for this year's game.

2 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

The official listed attendance for 2013 was 38,380. Posts have said 40,000 and now 45,000. If that many more tickets have been subsequently sold for that game from 2013 then no one should have an excuse not to buy tickets for this year's game.

Did UNLV even bring cheerleaders in 2013? With Army I am hoping for 45,000 plus combined! GMG 

30 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Well as someone who has earned this right through my military service. I never encouraged anyone to say or try to get these free ticket, nor am I someone who goes around asking for these discounts/benefits during or after my service... 2nd. you missed my point about the posting of the donation... I would love to see everyone buy tickets, but its more important having people in the crowd... and if people do that then write a check for 50 bucks even better for the AD..

So, let me see if I have this straight.  This isn't encouraging anyone to try to get free tickets?...

"Your aware you could claim to be a First Responder and have HoD mail you free tickets, when I Direct messaged them asking what proof they wanted, they said they just hope people are honest..."

What would you call it?  Letting them know the door is open, pointing to it, but not saying they should step through?  

Oh, and thanks for your military service...though there are no free HOD tickets for it

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3