Looks like HoD Bowl!

JesseMartin

I'd love to play WMU in Dallas. Both venues would be fun and convenient, but HOD sure beats playing a Navy or UT in Ft. Worth as far as actually pulling off the win is concerned. Beating a ranked and undefeated team would be one hell of a shot in the arm for this program.

Army again? Well, nice to pull off the second win, but it wouldn't really turn a lot of heads. I guess I'm just getting a little impatient as far as the turning heads thing is concerned.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT wouldn't have to contact any of the army bases, because most soldiers will already be home on leave already and the ones who remain at the bases most likely will be likely to stay as well... There are enough Vets in the DFW area as well. At UNT alone their is nearly 4,500 Vets... The best way for Army would be to have the recruiting stations bring new recruits to the game... 

Also, I do agree it would be great to play someone ranked like WMU and it would be a program changing win, and I would think SL and them would like to take on the challenge.. But with how successful were to this season, we need to go out with a W honestly... Everyone was ready to fire and move on from everyone on this staff not named SL after the UTEP butt kicking.... But WMU/Navy are alot better than we are... if we play Army, they are alot closer to us in terms of talent level and also they will be getting in on APR just like us most likely... Alot of people won't view this as a "sexy' match up, but this is a school that we recruit alot of kids against, and its winnable game for either side which would lead to greater attendance. 

But a W in the bowl game, will be huge for these kids/coaches, and for recruits... Everyone should agree that playing someone like Army and getting a W or even being competetive is better than playing Navy or WMU and getting taken out the woodshed.. Also, it won't be great having it on ESPN either as well. 

No offense but I think that some of you seem to overestimate what the average enlisted serviceman feels about the service academies. Even other officers who did not attend the academies tend not to care about the schools.

3 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

No offense but I think that some of you seem to overestimate what the average enlisted serviceman feels about the service academies. Even other officers who did not attend the academies tend not to care about the schools.

I was in the Navy and I root for the team. I wouldn't leave the state or the region to ever go watch them. I would maybe drive down to see them in a bowl game, maybe. So I agree with you. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

15 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I was in the Navy and I root for the team. I wouldn't leave the state or the region to ever go watch them. I would maybe drive down to see them in a bowl game, maybe. So I agree with you. 

As was I but I don't think if Navy played anyone in DFW besides us that I or any of my ex-navy buddies in the area would care enough to go.

6 hours ago, All About UNT said:

I'm not saying the HoD would be packed but Army should have a lot more fans than UNLV... also, the ideas that Bases like Fort Hood or Fort Sill would send soldiers won't happen most likely because of the cost and everyone away.. also, most enlisted don't care yes, but with them being near by it will be a draw.. playing in the armed forces for an example all vets get free tickets... 

6 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

You somewhat proved my point.. with you not having to leave the state nor region... along with you saying you would drive to see them in the bowl.. Army will have an okay similar to what Navy would bring.. plus army gives us a chance at 6 Wins

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, southsideguy said:

your right but the cotton bowl is a pit, it like Fouts on steroids

For the last Hod bowl it seemed very functional to me,. A hell of a lot better than Fouts.  Much better sight lines.  Only issue I had were they had us packed like sardines.

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

For the last Hod bowl it seemed very functional to me,. A hell of a lot better than Fouts.  Much better sight lines.  Only issue I had were they had us packed like sardines.

That's what I think of when I think about the Cotton Bowl...small seats.  I still had a great time at the HoD. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Very true. Twenty years in the air force did nothing to increase my interest in AFA football. I wouldn't have driven ten miles to see them play unless North Texas was the opponent.

• Upvote 3

So WMU is undefeated and will go to the HOD bowl to play 5-6 UNT.   Wow WMU is getting no respect from the bowls.  Seems like they should playing in a better bowl game?   Does the MAC not have a bowl  an automatic  bowl bid for their championship at a better bowl?  Seems like Ohio would be sent here?

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, southsideguy said:

i am not overly excited about the HOD bowl, i hate the big empty stadium.

If we play Army in the HOD the Cotton Bowl won't look empty.

We know we will bring 30K or better, and Army will certainly draw a good bowl crowd. Navy brought the bulk of the crowd to their 2013 Armed Forces Bowl against MTSU. They had a crowd of 39,246. So, the academies get bowl support. The attendance record for the HOD is 48,313, held by the 2013 game featuring Purdue and OK State. I believe a North Texas/Army rematch will break that record, and that is why I think we are getting this bowl. I know fans of other C-USA programs are mad we seem to be headed to the HOD, but the bowl needs to make money too. Last season, Southern Miss and Washington barely draw 20K.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greeneagle1 said:

PJ Fleck was super excited last night saying he didn't see how they deserved the Cotton Bowl. What a sick joke it would be to them by getting to play in the Cotton Bowl stadium and not the actual Cotton Bowl Classic. ;)

Navy getting whipped 21-0...Looks like WMU will be in cotton bowl.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Navy getting whipped 21-0...Looks like WMU will be in cotton bowl.

I was just about to post that.  I think the whole discussion was based on the assumption that they were a lock to win their conference.  So unless something crazy happens with lots of upsets, looks like it will be UNT vs. Army.