Looks like HoD Bowl!

JesseMartin

According to this article on espn.com, if Navy wins, we play WMU and if Navy loses, we play Army:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18189507/conference-bowl-officials-considering-plans-navy-midshipmen-win-american-athletic-conference

ETA:   Note that if there are a bunch of upsets, this may change, but that's the plan as of now...both scenarios involve us in the Heart of Dallas

Edited by JesseMartin
  • Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

As great that would be, really hoping we play Army

Would like to see them Pair us up with Army and WMU vs Baylor

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

WMU....eeek!

So root for Navy to lose, and we'll get Army in the HOD bowl?

LET'S DO IT!

My thoughts exactly.  As much as I normally hate to see rematches in bowl games...it would have to be the 2nd biggest upset of our program to beat WMU.  I could see that happening in a year or two, but I don't think it's anywhere near reasonable to hope for that this year.

• Upvote 4

Give me WMU or Navy. I don't care if we win our bowl game this year, we aren't even supposed to be here based off preseason predictions. I would rather get a bowl game with some interest than a bowl game nobody will care about. Back in 2013/2014 I remember seeing a ranking on ESPN of the bowl games being played and we were either last or before last in terms of "quality" and overall interest. Us vs Army this year would be viewed as the worst bowl game this winter. I'd rather play a team with some more clout. 

Found the rankings. ESPN had UNT against UNLV as the worst bowl game of the 2013 season and the post was from before that bowl season even started.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

IF ARMY AT THE HOD:

West Point (with I'd bet HOD & A.D. Wren Baker's assistance) would make  contacts with Army installations across Texas for fan support along with what Cadets would come from NY.  (As I understand it, their officials along with ours did this in the 90's when we hosted Army at Texas Stadium with good results for a regular season game).

Personally,  I'd have a chance to see a fellow Danbury (TX) HS alum who played  for our Danbury Panthers football team & then for Army who he & family will I'm sure come to Dallas for a bowl event. 

Army would have the revenge factor working for them at the HOD Bowl. The Mean Green would like to show em' our first win was real & not a fluke. 

God I love this thing called college football!  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Caw Caw said:

Playing Army again is my least favorite possible bowl outcome. I'd rather pay to travel than play a game we gain very little from. It's all risk and almost no reward. Give me anyone else anywhere.

I hear you but maybe this one a winnable game?  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Give me WMU or Navy. I don't care if we win our bowl game this year, we aren't even supposed to be here based off preseason predictions. I would rather get a bowl game with some interest than a bowl game nobody will care about. Back in 2013/2014 I remember seeing a ranking on ESPN of the bowl games being played and we were either last or before last in terms of "quality" and overall interest. Us vs Army this year would be viewed as the worst bowl game this winter. I'd rather play a team with some more clout. 

Found the rankings. ESPN had UNT against UNLV as the worst bowl game of the 2013 season and the post was from before that bowl season even started.

I'm assuming the interest is as it relates to TV and casual fans...because there were bowls with way worse attendance.  Baylor/UCF was here in Glendale for the Fiesta Bowl, and they were handing out tickets like candy because so few people from either school traveled for it.  In terms of attendance and local interest, HoD was probably in the upper half, wasn't it?

This would be the closest UNT would have an opportunity to play a ranked team at home.  I will believe it when I see it, but how could anyone not want a shot to knock off an undefeated ranked opponent.  Home crowd, 3 weeks to prepare instead of a bodybag situation.

Beating an undefeated WMU would be a program defining win.  Of course some will say they were Imposters  and didn't deserve the ranking and all, but who cares.  UNT would make history.

A 6-7 season ending with a win over WMU would probably get more run and buzz than the 9-4 season.

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, JesseMartin said:

I'm assuming the interest is as it relates to TV and casual fans...because there were bowls with way worse attendance.  Baylor/UCF was here in Glendale for the Fiesta Bowl, and they were handing out tickets like candy because so few people from either school traveled for it.  In terms of attendance and local interest, HoD was probably in the upper half, wasn't it?

Re-read my post. The article by ESPN came out before the bowl games started. I checked and it was published around December 13th. It graded in terms of competition. Nobody cared about our bowl game outside of UNT and UNLV fans and nobody will care about UNT vs Army. UNT vs Navy or WMU will get us exposure regardless of the result.

15 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

This would be the closest UNT would have an opportunity to play a ranked team at home.  I will believe it when I see it, but how could anyone not want a shot to knock off an undefeated ranked opponent.  Home crowd, 3 weeks to prepare instead of a bodybag situation.

Beating an undefeated WMU would be a program defining win.  Of course some will say they were Imposters  and didn't deserve the ranking and all, but who cares.  UNT would make history.

A 6-7 season ending with a win over WMU would probably get more run and buzz than the 9-4 season.

I've been thinking about this. Fans on this board have been begging to play winnable ranked or p5 teams at home or at Jerry world. This would be exactly that but with different venues and now people are saying "no." People are never happy.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

What a horrible consolation prize for WMU to play us. Think about it, how pissed would we all be if we went 12-1 and our reward was to go play in the backyard of a 5-7 MAC team. This can't be accurate information, surely. 

It's from the bowl committees to ESPN, so it should be pretty accurate.  I think it's because it would provide a blend...ticket sales from us as well as people who are interested in the WMU phenomenon, plus TV interest due to their awesome season.  And note that if Navy wins, WMU could go 13-0 and still play us.  At that point it's more about combining tickets and TV than it is who will win or lose.  Plus, people saying they had such a "soft" schedule might be interested in finally seeing them get upset.

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Re-read my post. The article by ESPN came out before the bowl games started. I checked and it was published around December 13th. It graded in terms of competition. Nobody cared about our bowl game outside of UNT and UNLV fans and nobody will care about UNT vs Army. UNT vs Navy or WMU will get us exposure regardless of the result.

I did read that part too...that's my point.  They were only basing it on how it rated on a national scale.  It ended up being pretty successful in other terms than the ones they were grading on.  Plus it was a New Year's bowl, so it was viewed more widely than many of the other low-rated bowls.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JesseMartin said:

It's from the bowl committees to ESPN, so it should be pretty accurate.  I think it's because it would provide a blend...ticket sales from us as well as people who are interested in the WMU phenomenon, plus TV interest due to their awesome season.  And note that if Navy wins, WMU could go 13-0 and still play us.  At that point it's more about combining tickets and TV than it is who will win or lose.  Plus, people saying they had such a "soft" schedule might be interested in finally seeing them get upset.

That's the craziest part. Could you imagine us going 13-0, and playing a 7 loss APR qualifier in a throw-away bowl???

Edited by MeanGreenDan
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

That's the craziest part. Could you imagine us going 13-0, and playing a 7 loss APR qualifier in a throw-away bowl???

It sucks for them for sure, but a 14-0 season would lead to easily a top-15 ranking next season.  For G5 teams, growing into being an annual contender is even more important than having a single killer season that seems like a fluke.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

IF ARMY AT THE HOD:

West Point (with I'd bet HOD & A.D. Wren Baker's assistance) would make  contacts with Army installations across Texas for fan support along with what Cadets would come from NY.  (As I understand it, their officials along with ours did this in the 90's when we hosted Army at Texas Stadium with good results for a regular season game).

Personally,  I'd have a chance to see a fellow Danbury (TX) HS alum who played  for our Danbury Panthers football team & then for Army who he & family will I'm sure come to Dallas for a bowl event. 

Army would have the revenge factor working for them at the HOD Bowl. The Mean Green would like to show em' our first win was real & not a fluke. 

God I love this thing called college football!  

GMG!

UNT wouldn't have to contact any of the army bases, because most soldiers will already be home on leave already and the ones who remain at the bases most likely will be likely to stay as well... There are enough Vets in the DFW area as well. At UNT alone their is nearly 4,500 Vets... The best way for Army would be to have the recruiting stations bring new recruits to the game... 

Also, I do agree it would be great to play someone ranked like WMU and it would be a program changing win, and I would think SL and them would like to take on the challenge.. But with how successful were to this season, we need to go out with a W honestly... Everyone was ready to fire and move on from everyone on this staff not named SL after the UTEP butt kicking.... But WMU/Navy are alot better than we are... if we play Army, they are alot closer to us in terms of talent level and also they will be getting in on APR just like us most likely... Alot of people won't view this as a "sexy' match up, but this is a school that we recruit alot of kids against, and its winnable game for either side which would lead to greater attendance. 

But a W in the bowl game, will be huge for these kids/coaches, and for recruits... Everyone should agree that playing someone like Army and getting a W or even being competetive is better than playing Navy or WMU and getting taken out the woodshed.. Also, it won't be great having it on ESPN either as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

If WMU wins their game there is no justification for a 2 loss Navy team passing them IMO.  Both of their losses have come to G5 teams.  It is crazy to let Navy hold the bowls hostage.  I think they are just trying to build drama and ratings.

If WMU wins they should be a Cotton Bowl lock vs a big12 team. No other way to justify it other than greedy pigs wanting better ratings. Garbage. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3