Question About Private High Schools

UNTLifer

11 minutes ago, SSP said:

I agree.  Most of the decisions are left up to the district within the guidelines of what UIL has structured but if they had had some level of stability in the rules 20 years ago it would have made a bigger difference.    A certain HOF coach from Celina ( who is a friend of mine, btw...) kind of broke the mold on this subject. You can't stop anyone from leaving a public school to go to a private but public to public school transfers are OUT OF CONTROL.   ESPECIALLY when they transfer between 3 local schools  within their high school career.

There are too many loopholes to count.

Correct.  The PAPF form that is required to be filled out for any transferring 8th grader and up, that must be approved by each districts DEC(District Executive Committee) isn't cutting it for what ever reason.

DEC's like Denton'sand Odessa's  are considered strict by many standards.  Others are not.  It's not working so something more severe is needed.  

Years ago you couldn't play varsity if you transferred in after your sophomore year.  In the least that needs to happen again.

Its a joke but it's no longer funny.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

Correct.  The PAPF form that is required to be filled out for any transferring 8th grader and up, that must be approved by each districts DEC(District Executive Committee) isn't cutting it for what ever reason.

DEC's like Denton'sand Odessa's  are considered strict by many standards.  Others are not.  It's not working so something more severe is needed.  

Years ago you couldn't play varsity if you transferred in after your sophomore year.  In the least that needs to happen again.

Its a joke but it's no longer funny.

Rick

Yep.  

5 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Years ago you couldn't play varsity if you transferred in after your sophomore year.

Correct, but years ago the average family didn't move every three years. The average person with a job averaged over 12 years with that job and now it's under 5. 

It's soon to be 2017 - we can't turn back the clock to 1964.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 2

I'm glad I've gotten some of ya'lls attention.  But I'm thinking SOME of you have no idea how extremely bad it has gotten.

Yes, my suggestion is a nuclear bomb to kill a nat.  But it's a massive...GODZILLA size nat that needs addressing or it will never change.  And just like with No Pass and No Play....the UIL isn't going to regulate or enforce the ideas to fix it.  It'll have to come from the private sector pushing legislation I'm guessing?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Correct, but years ago the average family didn't move every three years. The average person with a job averaged over 12 years with that job and now it's under 5. 

This is also correct but...

Southlake can also afford to move in a very economically disadvantage family into a $1.4 million home.

And that's poop.

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

I'm glad I've gotten some of ya'lls attention.  But I'm thinking SOME of you have no idea how extremely bad it has gotten.

Yes, my suggestion is a nuclear bomb to kill a nat.  But it's a massive...GODZILLA size nat that needs addressing or it will never change.  And just like with No Pass and No Play....the UIL isn't going to regulate or enforce the ideas to fix it.  It'll have to come from the private sector pushing legislation I'm guessing?

Rick

Rick

Yep.  And because of the TRUE transfers (which are estimated at ummm... 10%?) they will NEVER change it.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

My father attended 10 different elementary schools in his first 6 years of grade school in the 50's and 60's.

I attended 5 in the 70's myself.  As well as countless other friends I've grown to know over the years.

So scratch that excuse.

Rick

2 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

But if I move from the north side of Waco to the south side of Waco to be closer to my existing job on the south side then my son cannot transfer from 2A school to play at a big 6 A school where he has better chance to get a D1 scholarship??  I am moving my legal residence....

Or my inner city Waco family cannot move out of dreadfully bad Waco ISD to go to a much higher rated China Spring ISD? 

Both are legal scenarios.   

I respect your opinion a lot.  However, I agree 100% with the firefighter here.  My response is no, you go to school where you live and pay taxes.  I truly hate how this whole thing in high school has played out.  Used to, you grew up in a neighborhood, some good athletes, some not so good.  You grew up together playing on the same teams in the same community.  You went to the same high school.  Now, with all this Select bullshit and kids transferring on an annual basis it's all turned to crap. You have coaches actively going out and trying to recruit kids to come live with someone in their district for the sake of winning football? I don't think it is right.

It's also not fair that Allen gets 100K students to pull athletes from and good kids sit the bench or can't even make the team.  Back in my day the culprit was Plano.  All for the desire to win state championships.  It's a joke.  I think school districts like Plano and Mansfield are getting it right now breaking the school districts up into more individual high schools.

Back to your point, how is allowing kids to transfer fair to Waco ISD?  If having your kids participate at China Spring is important, you should move into and live in China Spring.  If you can't make that happen do the best you can do in your given situation is my thinking.   We have got to start leveling the playing field or all we will lose a lot of good communities that have for years built their pride and communities around Friday nite football.

36 minutes ago, Harry said:

I respect your opinion a lot.  However, I agree 100% with the firefighter here.  My response is no, you go to school where you live and pay taxes.  I truly hate how this whole thing in high school has played out.  Used to, you grew up in a neighborhood, some good athletes, some not so good.  You grew up together playing on the same teams in the same community.  You went to the same high school.  Now, with all this Select bullshit and kids transferring on an annual basis it's all turned to crap. You have coaches actively going out and trying to recruit kids to come live with someone in their district for the sake of winning football? I don't think it is right.

It's also not fair that Allen gets 100K students to pull athletes from and good kids sit the bench or can't even make the team.  Back in my day the culprit was Plano.  All for the desire to win state championships.  It's a joke.  I think school districts like Plano and Mansfield are getting it right now breaking the school districts up into more individual high schools.

Back to your point, how is allowing kids to transfer fair to Waco ISD?  If having your kids participate at China Spring is important, you should move into and live in China Spring.  If you can't make that happen do the best you can do in your given situation is my thinking.   We have got to start leveling the playing field or all we will lose a lot of good communities that have for years built their pride and communities around Friday nite football.

yes-rudy1.gif

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, SSP said:

CELINA. BOBCATS.

Speaking of Celina, their QB intentionally hurt a defenders ankle in a game, and I think only got a one game suspension.

Like, he stood on the kid's ankle in a dog pile and jumped down on it.

Hot, clown garbage.

Edited by Aldo
hurt, not broke

3 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Speaking of Celina, their QB intentionally broke a defenders ankle in a game, and I think only got a one game suspension.

Hot, clown garbage.

It was a garbage act, but the Caddo kid did not get a broken leg and played the next week.

Pingleton was sat down for I think just two games. Classless, disgusting act, but no broken leg/ankle.

Just now, Army of Dad said:

It was a garbage act, but the Caddo kid did not get a broken leg and played the next week.

Pingleton was sat down for I think just two games. Classless, disgusting act, but no broken leg/ankle.

Ah thanks for the clarification. All over the twitters with the misinfo.

23 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Speaking of Celina, their QB intentionally hurt a defenders ankle in a game, and I think only got a one game suspension.

Hot, clown garbage.

18 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

It was a Community HS player.  And yes... Was absolutely disgusting.  AND OBVIOUS.  There are a lot of nasty things that happen at the bottom of a pile (eye gouging... Etc. Use your imagination) but he legit put all of his weight on that kids foot.  Horrible.

also worthy of mention-  The officials didn't catch this and there was no flag thrown.   It was only brought to the attention of the school districts when someone had turned in the video.  Coaches claimed "didn't see it happen".

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I was just about to ask you if your original question was in reference to Midland Christian.  I saw they hung with Brock at the first of the year and had heard they were getting kids in from Midland, Odessa and San Angelo areas.

Rick

Actually, the original question was in regards to Bishop Dunne.

On 12/1/2016 at 5:07 PM, Harry said:

It all comes down to the cost of college tuition and a slim chance at getting a  scholarship somewhere. If your child doesn't play, he/she gets ZERO chance to develop & later that means ZERO exposure. And I'm not just talking FBS level football scholarships (FCS, D2, D3 non-scholarship aid, etc). Every little bit helps. With college tuition skyrocketing into the stratosphere, do you blame parents for doing this? Have you seen the crazy increase in cost just at UNT the last 10 years?

Edited by Got5onIt

On 12/1/2016 at 4:41 PM, SSP said:

This is also correct but...

Southlake can also afford to move in a very economically disadvantage family into a $1.4 million home.

And that's poop.

Yep.  And because of the TRUE transfers (which are estimated at ummm... 10%?) they will NEVER change it.

Come on now, no ones nose is clean.  Guyer "hired" Robinsons mother to be bball coach.... easy to hire the parent then kids follow 

• Upvote 1

If you can afford to move into a particular school district and are willing to go through all that moving entails then have at it.  I don't really consider moving to another school district as "transferring."  If you truly transfer to another school that's where I have a problem.

I've heard that both Aledo AND Brock siphon kids from Weatherford, but I have my doubts that Weatherford is stocking two powerhouses in lower classifications.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, SSP said:

It was a Community HS player.  And yes... Was absolutely disgusting.  AND OBVIOUS.  There are a lot of nasty things that happen at the bottom of a pile (eye gouging... Etc. Use your imagination) but he legit put all of his weight on that kids foot.  Horrible.

also worthy of mention-  The officials didn't catch this and there was no flag thrown.   It was only brought to the attention of the school districts when someone had turned in the video.  Coaches claimed "didn't see it happen".

Oops, I got the wrong bottom feeder school.

On 12/1/2016 at 5:07 PM, Harry said:

You do realize that the Plano schools are still the largest in the state, only behind Allen?    If they didn't have individual HS, then they'd have 16K kids.   

Enrollment.PNG

14 minutes ago, EasleyK said:

You do realize that the Plano schools are still the largest in the state, only behind Allen?    If they didn't have individual HS, then they'd have 16K kids.   

Enrollment.PNG

I thought using fractions to define people's value went out with the 14th amendment...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EasleyK said:

Enrollment.PNG

Not to speak for Harry, but I think he meant Frisco, not Plano.

My boy attended public high school for a semester and transferred to a private. He does play sports, but make no mistake, he transferred for academics. He was bored to tears at the public. Now he makes his high grades at the private and works his butt off, but he loves it there.

Recruiting does happen in the private schools. Not supposed to, but it does. My son knows kids in several sports who are getting recruited by both. *coughArgylePrestonwoodGuyercoughcough*

Dunne got most of the kids from Prime Prep, but Lynch and AAA Academy got a few. Dunne and Lynch play for state football champ tonight. A district match-up, at that.