Herman cut every coach after a 10 minute "interview"

GMG24

Hmmm, so in a related note, if Herman got rid of all the UT coaches and has to spend time hiring a new staff from scratch, why would he interrupt this process to have a 5-7 Texas team play in a bowl game with a skeleton staff of coaches?  This news tells me UT probably won't be going APR bowling.  NEXT UP ON THE LIST PLEASE!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

We should go after running backs coach Anthony Johnson. He is from East Texas, and has had success on every level. He was going to be Toledo's OC before he got the call from UT.

2001-2005 Player/RB at UT

2006-2007 RBs Coach at Jefferson High School (I was his teacher's aide. Not a very good Economics teacher.)

2007-2009 Texas Grad Assistant

2010-2012 RB Coach Sam Houston State

2013-2015 Toledo RB Coach

2016 Texas RB Coach

• Upvote 2

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-football-hire-tom-herman-202231205.html

One thing to keep an eye on is whether the Longhorns will allow Herman to bring offensive coordinator Major Applewhite with him to Texas. Applewhite quarterbacked the Longhorns from 1998-2001, but he is mentioned in a pending lawsuit by former Texas track coach Bev Kearney who claims she was unfairly terminated for an inappropriate relationship with a student years earlier.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, jtm0097 said:

We should go after running backs coach Anthony Johnson. He is from East Texas, and has had success on every level. He was going to be Toledo's OC before he got the call from UT.

2001-2005 Player/RB at UT

2006-2007 RBs Coach at Jefferson High School (I was his teacher's aide. Not a very good Economics teacher.)

2007-2009 Texas Grad Assistant

2010-2012 RB Coach Sam Houston State

2013-2015 Toledo RB Coach

2016 Texas RB Coach

And do what with Perry? I do like the idea of bringing him in, just curious.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

And do what with Perry? I do like the idea of bringing him in, just curious.

Special Teams, but I am just throwing ideas out there since I use to play for Anthony. On a serious note, I think he lands on his feet quickly. His last 2 head coaches are now at Iowa State and Tulane. 

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Special Teams, but I am just throwing ideas out there since I use to play for Anthony. On a serious note, I think he lands on his feet quickly. His last 2 head coaches are now at Iowa State and Tulane. 

No doubt, I'd be ok if Traylor took over in some role as an assistant for the current HS relations person. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Would love to bring in another coach if it helps in recruiting. Also, we should think about the OC that was at UT if he is let go. He did one hell of a job with that offense at times with a true freshman QB as well.

There is a limit to how many coaches can be on staff. So for every new coach we bring in, one has to go.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

Jeff Traylor but I'm on board with getting him to be a recruiting coordinator or something.

I was on  twitter wayyyy to much last night lol Saw every Traylor family members acct several times looking to see if we offered/or visited any kids.  Thanks for correction.

• Upvote 1

I think you all need to think about where UNT lands in the bigger scheme of things. If a guy like Anthony Johnson is the RB coach at UT, he's not going to be looking to get paid half his current salary to fill the same position at UNT. He would want to be the OC. 

Just because a coach got fired from UT, doesn't mean he wasn't trying to advance his career. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

I think you all need to think about where UNT lands in the bigger scheme of things. If a guy like Anthony Johnson is the RB coach at UT, he's not going to be looking to get paid half his current salary to fill the same position at UNT. He would want to be the OC. 

Just because a coach got fired from UT, doesn't mean he wasn't trying to advance his career. 

For lack of a better term, Anthony Johnson was fired from UT along side Charlie Strong. He's either going to sit back and relax and wait for another opening somewhere, or he's going to want to continue the progression of his career and he can't progress his career if he's not working. For the most part, I agree with you. He's not going to want to come here to UNT to be the RB coach when he was just that at UT. But if he no other options then we (or another G5) could be that option for him. 

21 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

I know exactly where UNT lands in the "bigger scheme of things"  I also know we finally have a HC and Administration who are all about winning and building this program.  Maybe he only likes the HS relations side of "coaching" college ball.  If we offered that to him it may peak his interest.

• Upvote 1

Here's a quick recap of Salaries from UT. You might be able to grab one of these guys if you are lucky, but we would REALLY need our boosters to step up.

'Tight ends coach Jeff Traylor, who joined Strong’s staff prior to last season from the high school ranks is jumping to $350,000 annually from $245,000. He will also assume the title of passing game. Strength coach Pat Moorer is going from $330,000 to $350,000.'

'Here’s a list of salaries for the new additions to Strong’s staff:

-- Defensive backs coach Clay Jennings: $400,000

-- Receivers coach Charlie Willliams: $375,000

-- RB coach Anthony Johnson: $325,000'

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/college-confidential-blog/article77204192.html

Compare that to UNT's current top positions:

Graham Harrell Offensive coordinator $225,000
Mike Ekeler Co-defensive coordinator $195,000
Troy Reffett Assistant head coach, co-defensive coordinator $160,000
Brad Davis Run game coordinator, offensive line $150,000
Tommy Perry Special teams coordinator, running backs $115,000
Joel Filani Wide receivers $100,000

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2016/03/unt-football-salaries-up-slightly-under-littrell.html/

41 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Here's a quick recap of Salaries from UT. You might be able to grab one of these guys if you are lucky, but we would REALLY need our boosters to step up.

'Tight ends coach Jeff Traylor, who joined Strong’s staff prior to last season from the high school ranks is jumping to $350,000 annually from $245,000. He will also assume the title of passing game. Strength coach Pat Moorer is going from $330,000 to $350,000.'

a93jwI0wkWTQs.gif

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, golfingomez said:

If Dallas PD fires me tomorrow from my Lt position, and Argyle PD offers me a job as a police officer...unless I have one hell of a nest egg, have another Lt position lined up, or just like the feel of my couch...I'm taking the gainful employment

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

If Dallas PD fires me tomorrow from my Lt position, and Argyle PD offers me a job as a police officer...unless I have one hell of a nest egg, have another Lt position lined up, or just like the feel of my couch...I'm taking the gainful employment

so... in this scenario. Arlington, Ft. Worth, Coppell, Southlake, and none of the other suburbs offer you a higher paying gig than Argyle?