Who is on your Christmas list

Hunter Green

I don't have my laptop, so apologies if I get the name a little wrong... But expect a guy named Justin Rodgers(?) to get a long look.

Baker hired him to launch the basketball program at the first D2 school he ever worked at as the AD, and he's done pretty brilliantly during and after Baker's tenure there. 

I'm not saying the search starts and ends there, but expect him to get an interview and potentially make the shortlist. 

He's a good option, too. He was on my list o' NotBenfords that I started outlining and breaking down after last season. Even before we hired Baker and made it seem very likely. 

15 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I don't have my laptop, so apologies if I get the name a little wrong... But expect a guy named Justin Rodgers(?) to get a long look.

Baker hired him to launch the basketball program at the first D2 school he ever worked at as the AD, and he's done pretty brilliantly during and after Baker's tenure there. 

I'm not saying the search starts and ends there, but expect him to get an interview and potentially make the shortlist. 

He's a good option, too. He was on my list o' NotBenfords that I started outlining and breaking down after last season. Even before we hired Baker and made it seem very likely. 

I am guessing you mean Justin Barkley, the current coach at Rogers State.  http://rsuhillcats.com/staff.aspx?staff=70

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I am guessing you mean Justin Barkley, the current coach at Rogers State.  http://rsuhillcats.com/staff.aspx?staff=70

Sounds right. Thanks!

I actually keep a running doc of potential candidates and bios/contracts when possible. Barkley is one of the few sub D1 guys on it, so the Baker connection is very encouraging. 

Also, if anyone remembers the IPFW coach that got a full profile before it was announced we'd keep Benford, robbing me of my enthusiasm for the project (and some of my will to live)... He upset Indiana a few days ago. 

I know a lot of people don't wanna go with an assistant, but I wouldn't mind trying out Nate James.  He's supposedly good with big guys, and maybe we could really become a force in the paint if he were to come here.  Still pretty young...probably hungry.

Edited by CMJ

3 hours ago, CMJ said:

I know a lot of people don't wanna go with an assistant, but I wouldn't mind trying out Nate James.  He's supposedly good with big guys, and maybe we could really become a force in the paint if he were to come here.  Still pretty young...probably hungry.

THis is a guard loaded league, right?

BG would be a finalist in my book.

My short list.....

Willis Wilson at A&M Corpus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_Wilson

Jason Hooten at SHSU      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Hooten

Tasty pointed out Justin Barkley at Rogers St. who has something special going for sure but also is a high risk/high reward scenario in that he might need to keep his winning trends going at a slightly higher level before getting the nod. 

Honestly if we are going with a proven coach that vs. the high risk/high reward type I would look to Mike Davis at Texas Southern https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Southern_Tigers_basketball

On 11/26/2016 at 1:39 PM, All About UNT said:

a .560 winning percentage

bb33987c254c892ba6ab782efbd36c2f.gif

Top Five Seasons in UT Arlington Men's Basketball History:
2011-12: 24-9 (Scott Cross)
2015-16: 24-11 (Cross) 
2007-08: 21-12 (Cross)
1980-81: 20-8 (Bob "Snake" LeGrande)
1990-91: 20-9 (Mark Nixon)

Built the program back up from Ashes with NOTHING no money no facilites nothing but hard work and recruiting locally.  

He is close to double any other coaches winning percentage, and more than 100 points higher than next closest.  The dude can coach and we both know it.  He has been recruiting to crap facilities and very little program history.  He is finally building that and you want to crap on his record because he took over a VERY bad program and has quickly surpassed where we are.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Top Five Seasons in UT Arlington Men's Basketball History:
2011-12: 24-9 (Scott Cross)
2015-16: 24-11 (Cross) 
2007-08: 21-12 (Cross)
1980-81: 20-8 (Bob "Snake" LeGrande)
1990-91: 20-9 (Mark Nixon)

Built the program back up from Ashes with NOTHING no money no facilites nothing but hard work and recruiting locally.  

He is close to double any other coaches winning percentage, and more than 100 points higher than next closest.  The dude can coach and we both know it.  He has been recruiting to crap facilities and very little program history.  He is finally building that and you want to crap on his record because he took over a VERY bad program and has quickly surpassed where we are.  

Have always liked him. Local guy that recruits locally! Most his roster is the DFW area. Always beats a big time school. Last year Ohio State and Memphis!

I was for him last year, but I am wondering with Wren we might reach a little higher up the food chain. Benford has proven you can recruit talent to UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I really hope that's the standard 'vote of confidence' ADs give coaches before they fire them...

The athletic department has been a presence on the bench and very involved in basketball this year. I would assume Benford is gone, but it may be 50/50 at this point. 

• Downvote 1