When Is The Point Of No Return For Benford

Eagle-96

So when is the point of no return where Wren pulls the trigger on firing Benford. Is it at the point when we are assured of a losing season sometime around mid January. If that's the case then why wait until then because nothing about the teams play in the first three games indicates that they are going to make some 180 turnaround and play differently then they have the last 4 years. Let's just hurry the process and get a jump on the coaching search competition. If we keep this trend of getting worked by mediocre teams then the sooner the better. Shoulda done it last March.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would like to say now just because I can't handle being humiliated by Drexel when they won 6 games last season... With the talent on the roster, would it be possible it appoint somebody on the staff as interim HC and re-assign Benford as something else where he doesn't have as big of an impact on the game without completely losing the locker room but also not waiting until the season is lost to make a change...?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The answer is one day before the next head coach is done with his current season and ready to sign. The handwriting is on the wall, but there is no need to maximize the disruption. Let Benford write his own epitaph, while maybe salvaging something of this season and showing enough to someone to get a job somewhere. No ill will toward the man at all; I wish him well in the future with a fresh start.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

When someone hires one of those coupon-dropping promotional blimps pulling a "Fire Benford" banner, then we'll know.

They had a couple of those things farting out free Rudy's tacos the one time I went to UT Arlington's joint.  Gave it the feel of a Chuck E. Cheese.

In other news, where is @TheTastyGreek with the Fire Benford sweepstakes of 2016-2017?  Last year, I inadvertently chose MLK Day, to which he politely informed me that I might like to take another stab at it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

So when is the point of no return where Wren pulls the trigger on firing Benford. Is it at the point when we are assured of a losing season sometime around mid January. If that's the case then why wait until then because nothing about the teams play in the first three games indicates that they are going to make some 180 turnaround and play differently then they have the last 4 years. Let's just hurry the process and get a jump on the coaching search competition. If we keep this trend of getting worked by mediocre teams then the sooner the better. Shoulda done it last March.

There is no upside firing him sooner rather than later. It also gives Wren time to scout replacements.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I would look for it to come around the end of January to beginning of February depending on the record. It puts us at the front of the line as a job that has been open for a little while and we can advance talks with agents of interested candidates. We are not the top of the pecking order, obviously, so there will likely be some movement up top, but we may be able to move with those teams if we are available earlier and get the guy we want, whomever that may be. If I had to throw a date out, it would probably be the 4th or 5th of Feb to give a new coach time before the next game.

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The only reason to terminate Benford early is if you think the team would benefit.  Doubtful that there is anyone on the staff like Canales who could be effective in a take-over role. 

I'm sure there's someone on the staff that could take over and have a losing record. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The new AD is going to evaluate the program likely for the entire season as I believe that's what they said they would do. Mosley played college basketball and has thus far attended every men's home game. He sits next to our bench so he can hear everything that's going on. Benford is likely here the remainder of this season unless there is some point at which we no longer would owe him any money.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1