Bowl Projections Update

GreenTexan13

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I don't know.  There were a lot of hangovers going on at the 2014 HOD Bowl, and if I remember, it was an early kickoff too.  The difference being that it was an actual holiday.  GIven that Christmas is on a Sunday this year, having that Tuesday off isn't too much of a stretch.  Most places I've worked for the better part of a decade have given two days off for Christmas. 

That's what I meant.  I think it would have been another 20%+ if it wasn't New Years morning.

21 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

This might be the closest we get to hosting a P5 for a while... I'll take it.

I don't know, it might be better for our long term success to schedule a FCS team for this bowl game. 

200w.gif#8

19 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Of course, right now, this is all fantasy, but...
I think if the bowl is announced on 12/4, and people are even slightly interested in going, it's plenty of time to make plans.
Iowa would certainly bring more fans to the Cotton Bowl than UNLV (not hard seeing as they brought maybe 1000?), but I think the UNT crowd would be just as large, if not larger, to see them play Iowa rather than UNLV.

More like 100. I was sitting about 5 rows up at the 50 on the UNLV side and I didn't see anything close to 1,000. I could count maybe 30-40, mostly players' families. Most folks were NT fans that I saw on the UNLV side of the stadium.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, wardly said:

Its probably more about T.V. ratings than butts in seats.

The game will be played on TV regardless.    Of course ESPN will care which teams are on, but they don't get to choose.

The bowl games are usually tied to some sort of charity.   The Heart of Dallas is a charity.   They're going to want the most people buying tickets as possible as it gives their charity more money.  

The bowls are looking for butts in seats (re: ticket buyers).

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Wished we could make the Armed Forces bowl some day.  It's easily one of the nicer bowl games I've been to.

Rick

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Of course ESPN will care which teams are on, but they don't get to choose.

The bowl games are usually tied to some sort of charity.   The Heart of Dallas is a charity.   

Both the Heart of Dallas Bowl and the Armed Forces Bowl are owned by ESPN Regional Television. I've talked to Bryan Delgado about tickets for vets to the Armed Forces Bowl and he also offered some to the Heart of Dallas bowl. His business card is two sided with the Armed Forces Bowl logo on one side and the Heart of Dallas Bowl on the other. Check out the staff for each bowl, here is the Heart of Dallas and here is the Armed Forces. You'll notice they look similar. 

Since it's the same team running both bowls, I think the difference is more in the facilities. 

ESPN gets a LOT of input into who is in what bowl. Yes, they definitely want the largest crowd at every one of their bowls at it generates more revenue and looks better on TV which helps viewer number and into generates more revenue. 

51 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The game will be played on TV regardless.    Of course ESPN will care which teams are on, but they don't get to choose.

The bowl games are usually tied to some sort of charity.   The Heart of Dallas is a charity.   They're going to want the most people buying tickets as possible as it gives their charity more money.  

The bowls are looking for butts in seats (re: ticket buyers).

Thanks for the info on that. Ticket buyers spend money at the game itself too (outside the tix). The more people the better!

2 hours ago, jperg2 said:

Anyone see this one? (apologies if posted already)

10-27-BOWL-UPDATE.fw.png

I would undoubtedly make the trip to Albuquerque, as would a lot of Mean Green fans and students. Plus if New Mexico is in the bowl game, that'd be a lot of opposing fans creating as much of a ruckus atmosphere as you can get from two G5 schools. But I'd still like to see UNT/Iowa.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I would undoubtedly make the trip to Albuquerque, as would a lot of Mean Green fans and students. Plus if New Mexico is in the bowl game, that'd be a lot of opposing fans creating as much of a ruckus atmosphere as you can get from two G5 schools. But I'd still like to see UNT/Iowa.

North Texas versus any Big 10 school works for me.   Wished we'd had that instead of UNLV then you're talking 50-60,000 fans on New Years Day, January 1, 2014, at the Cotton Bowl Stadium.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

On 10/26/2016 at 10:51 PM, Matt from A700 said:

Mmm, the New Mexico Bowl (Dec.17) would mess with December graduation and Commencement ceremonies (Dec.15-17).

This is so exciting to be having these conversations! I realize we have to handle our business first, but it's so great that this is even a possibility after the past couple of years.

Outside of the Bahamas Bowl (which is a maybe), I'm in for any bowl game UNT gets invited to. Let's go, Mean Green!!!

Edited by Mean Green Eagle