Giovanni Vizza on UTSA Coaching Staff

UNT Mean Green

3 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

1. Vizza only played as a true fr and soph. Compare Vizza's numbers as a Fr and So to DT's as a Fr and So. It is no contest.

2. Vizza had more passing yards in a game in his first college start than DT ever had in a game over his whole career. And DT played parts of 5 seasons.

3. Vizza threw for 8 TDs vs Navy and was Sun Belt Freshman of the Year and made Freshman All American. 

4. DT had an ok career and a great bowl game, but he never even made an all conference team. 

5. Plus, a big part of Vizza's game was running the ball. He was a legit weapon who made plays with his legs and trucked dudes. DT just got sacked. 

6. Vizza is still a quitter though.

1. DT as a freshman played one series, the last offensive series of the 2009 season. He went 3 for 3 for 60 yards and a touchdown for a passer rating of 378.

DT as a sophomore played the last 2 series of the first game and the last series in the second game. DT became the starter for game 3 after Nathan Tune's injury. He was knocked out for the season on the fourth series of the game. Disappointing stats but not terrible for less than a full game's work. 11 of 18 for 83 yards and 1 int.

DT's first season as the full time starter (missed 3 games with injury) was the first season of the Chico and Mac show. He completed 58% of his 272 passes for 1759 yards, 11 tds and 6 ints while rushing 50 times for 113 yards and 3 tds. Qbr of 46.8 and passer rating of 121.0.

Gio's first season(didn't start until game 5) he completed 58% of his 382 passes for 2388 yards, 17tds and 20 ints while rushing 133 times for 299 yards and 2 tds. Qbr of 23.8 and passer rating of 115.1.

DT's 2nd season as full time starter he completed 58% of his 372 passes for 2629 yards, 14tds and 14ints while rushing 39 times for 26 yards and 2tds. Qbr of 40.2 and passer rating of 121.8.

Gio's second season as starter he completed 62% of his 493 passes for 2758 yards, 15tds and 16ints while rushing 95 times for 116 yards and 2tds. Qbr of 40.7 and passer rating of 113.2

Each season they started, Gio had over 100 passing attempts more than DT. My recollection is that Gio did not win any all conference or national awards that were not tied to his being a freshman.

2. Vizza threw the ball 57 times that game, DT never threw the ball more than 47 times in any game, ever. In their first two seasons as starters, they both had a total of 4 300+ yard passing games.

3. Navy was ranked 106 out of 119 in pass defense that year. Even terrible Ron Mendoza had us ranked 95th.

4. Vizza wasn't all-conference either. He won freshman awards which shrinks the competition pool tremendously. He wasn't even honorable mention all conference.

5. The stats don't bear that out. Gio was sacked 50 times while rushing for 415 yards and 4tds in '07-'08. DT was sacked 16 times while rushing for 139 and 5 tds in '11-'12. Less than 15 yards rushing per game more isn't exactly a big part of someone's game.

6. Truth.

You think Gio is better, I think DT is better. We won't agree. The point of my statement was that DT is already ranked #2 in most of our passing categories. If he had gotten an extra 100+ attempts per season, like Gio did, he'd be at the top of all of our passing records.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Cerebus said:

One last thing.  Over the years a lot of people throwing pot smoking jibes (and gambols) around.  If you want to kick everyone out of school who did that the halls of the school would be near empty.   A lot of damn hubris from some people I know really enjoy their alcohol.  

Pfft.  I strongly advocate the full and unrequited recreational use, possession, production, and sale of pot.  I want an edibles station next to the bar in the club level.  I want us to be known as the giggling, kinder, gentler green.  

Aside from that, I find the notion of marijuana as being a performance enhancing drug under NCAA guidelines to be among the most ludicrous things I've ever encountered.  

My only beef with pot during the Dodge years with his righteous indignation in testing the whole damn team just to show he was the big boss, then he had to deal with the consequences of basically the entire damn team failing said test. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

You think Gio is better, I think DT is better. We won't agree. The point of my statement was that DT is already ranked #2 in most of our passing categories. If he had gotten an extra 100+ attempts per season, like Gio did, he'd be at the top of all of our passing records.

I just wish we had better QBs to look back to and have better debates over.

(recent)

• Upvote 3

Vizza could have been the greatest QB we had had in many years, and still shares an NCAA record for most TD's in a game by a true freshman at 8.

With that said...I don't know of every event that led to his downfall here but I know he got sideways with the coaches over a couple of issues.   And I think things kind of spiraled out of control a bit.  One morning when I got to the station early I logged on here then had to call and wake up Harry because some prankster  had posted some extremely unflattering material of GV that needed to be removed immediately, which Harry did.

Anyhow...I hated to see him go as I thought he could have been phenominal in Dodge' offense.  He was young back then and it didn't end up as I'm sure he wanted it to.  It sounds like he's turned it around and now has a great future.  I wish him all the best.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1